OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

remarks beta .21

Go down

remarks beta .21 Empty remarks beta .21

Post  noordfiets on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 am

Hoi Orux,

Some, perhaps personal, remarks on the beta:

Interface:

- Intended or side effect ..? the new top menu pushes the map down when appearing. There is a short flicker, a black bar appears at the bottem, and than the map and menu slide down. The reverse happens when the menu times out. The old overlay method looked nicer, and the map stayed in place. Also the menu appeared faster and the transparent background of the buttons was nice.
- top menu, map button: the list of choices is quit long, but there is no indication you can scroll it, like in the old horizontal menu with two small arrows left and right.
- main settings: some menuitems have a bigger font, e.g. GPS the first three items have a larger ( too large .. ) font
- main settings: the active setting is in red on black. Perhaps an other color would improve readability here? like the green uses in tracks and routes
- the opening screen has gone. I know some people asked for this but I strongly believe that it helped new users to understand the program. Experienced users could disable it anyway. In fact, several people I recommended OM to where quite pleased with the opening screen.
- the new filepicker uses the back button to close in stead of going up one directory level. Most android filepickers use the cloose button to move up in the filestructure.
- the new filepicker shows maps as empty, even when there are files in them. I know you cannot select those files, but would it be possible to show files grayed out, so the user can see if the selected folder is the correct one?



Program features:
- the old 'perspective' view is gone? Sliding two fingers no longer activates it.

Possible bugs:

- no button in the maplist to manually rescan maps?
- (also in 4.8 ) when scaling mapsforge fonts ( value 2 ) not all labels are shown
- after changing major settings like the language, simply closing and restarting is not enough anymore. You have to close the program manually using android 'setting-application-current programs' to make the change effective.
- the dashed route line shows small arrows, but they are not reversed when the route is reversed

Phone used: alcatel ot-990 android 2.3.

Anyway, you did some nice coding again. Currently the Dutch translation is kept up to date by NAVTAC and me.

Regards,

Henk


Last edited by noordfiets on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total

noordfiets

Cantidad de envíos : 18
Fecha de inscripción : 2012-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

remarks beta .21 Empty Re: remarks beta .21

Post  NAVTAC on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:34 pm

noordfiets wrote:
- Intended or side effect ..? the new top menu pushes the map down when appearing. There is a short flicker, a black bar appears at the bottem, and than the map and menu slide down. The reverse happens when the menu times out. The old overlay method looked nicer, and the map stayed in place. Also the menu appeared faster and the transparent background of the buttons was nice.
- main settings: some menuitems have a bigger font, e.g. GPS the first three items have a larger ( too large .. ) font

Strange, both above mentioned effects are not noticable on my SIII.

noordfiets wrote:
- main settings: the active setting is in red on black. Perhaps an other color would improve readability here? like the green uses in tracks and routes
- the opening screen has gone. I know some people asked for this but I strongly believe that it helped new users to understand the program. Experienced users could disable it anyway. In fact, several people I recommended OM to where quite pleased with the opening screen.

I agree with those two remarks.

NAVTAC

Cantidad de envíos : 16
Fecha de inscripción : 2012-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

remarks beta .21 Empty Re: remarks beta .21

Post  orux on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:39 pm

noordfiets wrote:Hoi Orux,

Some, perhaps personal, remarks on the beta:

Interface:

- Intended or side effect ..? the new top menu pushes the map down when appearing. There is a short flicker, a black bar appears at the bottem, and than the map and menu slide down. The reverse happens when the menu times out. The old overlay method looked nicer, and the map stayed in place. Also the menu appeared faster and the transparent background of the buttons was nice.

Hi, thanks;

it is the android action bar. I will try to customize that behaviour.

noordfiets wrote:
- top menu, map button: the list of choices is quit long, but there is no indication you can scroll it, like in the old horizontal menu with two small arrows left and right.

There is a grey scrollbar on the right side if needed. I think I can not change that behaviour.

noordfiets wrote:
- main settings: some menuitems have a bigger font, e.g. GPS the first three items have a larger ( too large .. ) font

I do not understand; Some items are capitalized (ANT and GPS), but the font type and size should be the same.

noordfiets wrote:
- main settings: the active setting is in red on black. Perhaps an other color would improve readability here? like the green uses in tracks and routes

ok

noordfiets wrote:
- the opening screen has gone. I know some people asked for this but I strongly believe that it helped new users to understand the program. Experienced users could disable it anyway. In fact, several people I recommended OM to where quite pleased with the opening screen.

It caused a lot of problems, I decided to remove it because many users asked me. The main buttons of the map viewer have the same duties, I do not know ...

noordfiets wrote:
- the new filepicker uses the back button to close in stead of going up one directory level. Most android filepickers use the cloose button to move up in the filestructure.
- the new filepicker shows maps as empty, even when there are files in them. I know you cannot select those files, but would it be possible to show files grayed out, so the user can see if the selected folder is the correct one?

It is an external filepicker, I will investigate if it is possible to change it

noordfiets wrote:
Program features:
- the old 'perspective' view is gone? Sliding two fingers no longer activates it.

It was an implementation with many errors, replaced by the 3D view, with which you can achieve the same effect.


noordfiets wrote:
Possible bugs:

- no button in the maplist to manually rescan maps?

It is there, top action bar, a red arrow.


noordfiets wrote:
- (also in 4.8 ) when scaling mapsforge fonts ( value 2 ) not all labels are shown


Try with last beta--> www.oruxmaps.com/cs

noordfiets wrote:
- after changing major settings like the language, simply closing and restarting is not enough anymore. You have to close the program manually using android 'setting-application-current programs' to make the change effective.

Try with last beta--> www.oruxmaps.com/cs

Restarting the mapviewer should be enough.

noordfiets wrote:
- the dashed route line shows small arrows, but they are not reversed when the route is reversed

Try with last beta--> www.oruxmaps.com/cs


orux

_________________
Ahora puedes contribuir:--> DONACIÓN
Now you can contribute:--> DONATE
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946
Fecha de inscripción : 2009-07-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

remarks beta .21 Empty Re: remarks beta .21

Post  noordfiets on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Tnx for the (again ) quick response!

orux wrote:

noordfiets wrote:
- top menu, map button: the list of choices is quit long, but there is no indication you can scroll it, like in the old horizontal menu with two small arrows left and right.

There is a grey scrollbar on the right side if needed. I think I can not change that behaviour.

OK. the gray bar disappears after a second, so missed it.

orux wrote:
noordfiets wrote:
- main settings: some menuitems have a bigger font, e.g. GPS the first three items have a larger ( too large .. ) font

I do not understand; Some items are capitalized (ANT and GPS), but the font type and size should be the same.

Must be device or 2.3 specific than. Last beta is the same.
remarks beta .21 Fonts

orux wrote:
noordfiets wrote:
- the opening screen has gone. I know some people asked for this but I strongly believe that it helped new users to understand the program. Experienced users could disable it anyway. In fact, several people I recommended OM to where quite pleased with the opening screen.

It caused a lot of problems, I decided to remove it because many users asked me. The main buttons of the map viewer have the same duties, I do not know ...

Ok. It's a preference per person. I regarded it like the opening screen many programs have on desktops also. They also have a button 'do not show at startup again' for more experienced users. I'll leave this one completely up to you.

orux wrote:
noordfiets wrote:
Program features:
- the old 'perspective' view is gone? Sliding two fingers no longer activates it.

It was an implementation with many errors, replaced by the 3D view, with which you can achieve the same effect.

Ok. I used the old method with vector maps and I never found an error. The new method is slower and not really something for me. It only shows a small part of the map as far as I can see. But this is a personal opinion.

orux wrote:
noordfiets wrote:
Possible bugs:

- no button in the maplist to manually rescan maps?

It is there, top action bar, a red arrow.
Yep, used it. My error, if you tap this with the online maps in view nothing happens, you have to go to the list of offline maps first. Come to think of it: this was also the case in 4.8 .

orux wrote:
noordfiets wrote:
- (also in 4.8 ) when scaling mapsforge fonts ( value 2 ) not all labels are shown
Try with last beta--> www.oruxmaps.com/cs

Seems to happen only in the first zoomlevel the labels should be shown according to custom xml. One level up and all is fine. So e.g. if with scale 1, zoom 16 all labels are shown, with scale 2 most labels are not shown. Going up to zoom 17 all labels are shown again. May be a mapsforge or xml thing, there are more errors with overlapping labels in the mapsforge renderer. Not really a priority.

orux wrote:
noordfiets wrote:
- after changing major settings like the language, simply closing and restarting is not enough anymore. You have to close the program manually using android 'setting-application-current programs' to make the change effective.
Try with last beta--> www.oruxmaps.com/cs
Solved!

orux wrote:
noordfiets wrote:
- the dashed route line shows small arrows, but they are not reversed when the route is reversed

Try with last beta--> www.oruxmaps.com/cs
Solved!

Noticed you programmed ''thumb" patches for the dashboards. Could not find the setting to disable them .. yet ;-)

Still amazed by how much you code in a weekend!

Regards,

Henkremarks beta .21 Open?id=0B4vj_Yp08UkKeVhNbjVzRXlQY0kremarks beta .21 Open?id=0B4vj_Yp08UkKeVhNbjVzRXlQY0kremarks beta .21 Fonts


Last edited by noordfiets on Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

noordfiets

Cantidad de envíos : 18
Fecha de inscripción : 2012-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

remarks beta .21 Empty Translation list

Post  NAVTAC on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:22 am

The item "Search Route" in the route menu is not yet present in the translation files. Some other items are now mentioned twice in these files.

NAVTAC

Cantidad de envíos : 16
Fecha de inscripción : 2012-10-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

remarks beta .21 Empty Re: remarks beta .21

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum