OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Searching Maps and GPX files

2 posters

Go down

Searching Maps and GPX files Empty Searching Maps and GPX files

Post  stevej Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm fairly new to Orux, though I have used a Garmin Dakota GPS for some time. I have got Orux to do almost everything the Garmin does, plus a few other things besides - it's a really great product.

A couple of things that I cannot seem to be able to do, which the Garmin does are
(a) when I load a Garmin IMG file I can view the map and can change the labels that are displayed, but there does not seem to be any way to view these labels in a list or search on them (which is possible in the Garmin using the POI folder)
(b) I have some GPX files with large numbers of POIs in them (Coffee Shops, petrol stations, place names). I can load these as a route, but I am having two problems. First, some of the files contain thousands of points and Orux cannot load these as they are too difficult to draw on the map. Second, I only seem to be able to search these points by first going to the Manage Waypoints folder and then Importing the waypoints. I don't want any of these points plotted on the map, I simply want to search for a place (eg the nearest coffee shop). Is it possible to read these enormous files as text files without plotting the points on the map and without adding the data to the main waypoints list?

Thanks

stevej

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Searching Maps and GPX files Empty Re: Searching Maps and GPX files

Post  potifa Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Hey Steve,

I'm not involved in the development of the app. As a user myself, I'm wondering why you just don't use GoogleMaps or Yelp or similar apps for that purpose. It seems to me that they can handle your request better than OruxMaps ever could. Also, there data should at any time be more up-to-date for these things.

Cheers
Tom

potifa

Cantidad de envíos : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Tom,

Thanks for the reply, from which I deduce that this is not possible in Orux at the moment.

I can use these files in other Apps on my Android, but I was looking for an all-in-one solution.

For me there are two problems with what you suggest (1) I am often in places where there is no internet connection of any kind and (2) I also have long lists of the same type (which I did not refer to in the original post) which are not available in any form on Google.

From my point of view it would be great if Orux could support POI data (such as that downloadable for Garmin or TomTom) where one could simply search a list in the same way as waypoints can be searched, so that the place could be found in this list, and the comments (I keep descriptive text of many places) could also be viewed.

stevej

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down