OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sqlite db map viewer for PC

+3
joeuser
Icarus
orux
7 posters

Go down

sqlite db map viewer for PC Empty sqlite db map viewer for PC

Post  petesx Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:48 am

Hi Orux,
Great app - keeps getting better - Thanks!

I previously asked if OruxMaps could be ported to Linux (or XP), which you explained would be difficult to do, which I understand.

I currently use oziexplorer desktop to view maps and plot routes, push the resulting plt or trk through gpsbabel to get a gpx file, then import into Orux. (If I have internet connection I can use GPS visualizer or similar site but this is not always possible)
The problem with this is having to maintain 2 sets of maps - Ozi ozfx3 and Orux sqlite db.

So - a big ask ;-)
Is it possible to build into OruxMapsDesktop (or a seperate application?) a sqlite db map viewer (to view larger area of map than is possible on phone) and also if possible a GPX creation tool?

Thanks in advance.

petesx

Back to top Go down

sqlite db map viewer for PC Empty sqlite db map viewer for PC

Post  petesx Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:33 pm

I'm guessing Orux is busy with the main Android OruxMaps application, but would anyone else find this useful?
Would anyone even know how to start coding something like this?
Unfortunately even my "Hello World" programs seem to crash my PC :-( so I'm not even going to attempt it, but I'd be willing to pay for such an application.....
Any takers?
Pete

petesx

Back to top Go down

sqlite db map viewer for PC Empty Re: sqlite db map viewer for PC

Post  orux Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:17 pm

petesx wrote:I'm guessing Orux is busy with the main Android OruxMaps application, but would anyone else find this useful?
Would anyone even know how to start coding something like this?
Unfortunately even my "Hello World" programs seem to crash my PC :-( so I'm not even going to attempt it, but I'd be willing to pay for such an application.....
Any takers?
Pete

Hi, petesx;

you are right; I am very busy with OruxMaps.

I want to work with an OruxMaps PC map viewer, but I have no time at this moment;

You can create tracks with everytrail.com tool, then you can import the tracks directly to OruxMaps.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

sqlite db map viewer for PC Empty good idea !!!

Post  zmart Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:08 am

I find a oruxmaps sqlite "Map-Viewer for PC also very usefull. I have very big maps (15GB) from where I want to print out any areas.
Such a viewer would be also very useful to control, if the map has any empty tiles (it`s not uncommon).
Maybe orux, you`ll find any time if the android-app is nearly perfect (now not so far ;-) ....

zmart

Back to top Go down

Post  michi Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:10 am

if oruxmaps would support one of the "professional" map formats (like twonavRMAP or GEOTIFF) directly, there would be no need for a pc "viewer" at all. You could simply use one of the powerful mapping apps (ttqv, compegps land, globalmapper) for all your pc-side needs.

oruxmapsdesktop could be put to its grave, where it belongs, imho. it might be fine for smaller things, but it's not up for big tasks. and it can never be fixed, because it relies on buggy and bogus external java libraries that are dead and buried, meanwhile.

i am currently struggling to get complete france topographic maps in 1:25000 into oruxmaps and i tell you... it is not a pleasant experience! it's a matter of minutes for TwoNav and even for the old and obsolete PathAway. but it's close to impossible and requires days of importing/exporting/converting/trial&error with oruxmaps. that is a bit sad Sad

michi

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:34 pm

michi wrote:if oruxmaps would support one of the "professional" map formats (like twonavRMAP or GEOTIFF) directly, there would be no need for a pc "viewer" at all. You could simply use one of the powerful mapping apps (ttqv, compegps land, globalmapper) for all your pc-side needs.

oruxmapsdesktop could be put to its grave, where it belongs, imho. it might be fine for smaller things, but it's not up for big tasks. and it can never be fixed, because it relies on buggy and bogus external java libraries that are dead and buried, meanwhile.

i am currently struggling to get complete france topographic maps in 1:25000 into oruxmaps and i tell you... it is not a pleasant experience! it's a matter of minutes for TwoNav and even for the old and obsolete PathAway. but it's close to impossible and requires days of importing/exporting/converting/trial&error with oruxmaps. that is a bit sad Sad

Hi, michi,

It is not so easy.

I love the standards!

Why do you think I had to create the format OruxMaps?

If you know and/or find a sdk to use such images in android (no for Windows, Mac, Java desktop,... or WinME), tomorrow I start working with it.

The old WinMo has advantage, having been the only operating system for PDAs for a long time.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  zmart Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:11 am

@michi
Why do you then not use (AND BUY) a "professional program" with your favourite map-formats? Evil or Very Mad

zmart

Back to top Go down

Post  michi Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:22 am

@orux, java source for creating RMAP format is available in mobac source tree. Turning this into reading code for oruxmaps should be relatively straight forward. It's just a bunch of JPG/PNG tiles glued together, much like your sqlite database. Some exploration might have to be done to figure out datums/projections, but the source is very short and pretty understandable.

We could then use TTQV/CompegpsLand for pc side viewing/creation, offering instant access to thousands of different map sources.

Of course there's work involved in supporting this. But it's still much easier imho than spending time on yet another pc-side mapreader/viewer/converter/etc.

link: h ttp://mobac.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mobac/tags/v1.9.0%20beta%206/src/main/java/mobac/program/atlascreators/TwoNavRMAP.java?revision=1851&view=markup

michi

Back to top Go down

Post  Icarus Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:21 pm

A question Orux can likely answer -

Are the images in OruxMaps 'projected' (in the sense that they would be on a paper map). I've worked with a few map production applications and the most versatile ones convert a projected map to an unprojected state (ie. the latitude/longitude across a map is simply X/Y in pixels). They do this by placing multiple control points across the image, then rebuild it in an unprojected format (geotiff for example). This makes it very quick to pan around and have 'joined' separate map files without significant computational overhead. On a small screen device, the deformation in scale and distance is meaningless and inconsequential.

I second the request for GeoTiff support but fully understand the complexity involved! (I'm barely able to get my advanced 'Hello World' app working in the Android development environment)!!!

Thanks again to Orux for the best priced Professional mapping program for Android! Very Happy

Icarus

Cantidad de envíos : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:20 pm

michi wrote:@orux, java source for creating RMAP format is available in mobac source tree. Turning this into reading code for oruxmaps should be relatively straight forward. It's just a bunch of JPG/PNG tiles glued together, much like your sqlite database. Some exploration might have to be done to figure out datums/projections, but the source is very short and pretty understandable.

We could then use TTQV/CompegpsLand for pc side viewing/creation, offering instant access to thousands of different map sources.

Of course there's work involved in supporting this. But it's still much easier imho than spending time on yet another pc-side mapreader/viewer/converter/etc.

link: h ttp://mobac.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mobac/tags/v1.9.0%20beta%206/src/main/java/mobac/program/atlascreators/TwoNavRMAP.java?revision=1851&view=markup

Hi;

You're right, it may not be difficult to support rmap maps, although it seems that is not all information for all types of maps.

You've given me work for this summer Sad

We'll try.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Icarus wrote:A question Orux can likely answer -

Are the images in OruxMaps 'projected' (in the sense that they would be on a paper map). I've worked with a few map production applications and the most versatile ones convert a projected map to an unprojected state (ie. the latitude/longitude across a map is simply X/Y in pixels). They do this by placing multiple control points across the image, then rebuild it in an unprojected format (geotiff for example). This makes it very quick to pan around and have 'joined' separate map files without significant computational overhead. On a small screen device, the deformation in scale and distance is meaningless and inconsequential.

I second the request for GeoTiff support but fully understand the complexity involved! (I'm barely able to get my advanced 'Hello World' app working in the Android development environment)!!!

Thanks again to Orux for the best priced Professional mapping program for Android! Very Happy

Hi, thanks Icarus;

No, and yes.

The maps are kept in OruxMaps using the original map projection (UTM, Mercator, Lambert,...). This makes it easy to go from x / y in the map to geographic coordinates, and vice versa. If you do not want to show the geographic coordinates, the calculations on the map are very simple, because the projected coordinates are a perfect grid. The overhead that can cause to our phones is very small. Note that your phone has the computing power of a desktop computer from few years ago.

Geotiff has two problems:
1.-manipulating tiff format images: I can not find libraries for android.
2.-read/manipulate georeferencing information: GeoTIFF format is very comprehensive. Without adequate libraries, it's crazy.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 pm

michi wrote:if oruxmaps would support one of the "professional" map formats (like twonavRMAP or GEOTIFF) directly, there would be no need for a pc "viewer" at all. You could simply use one of the powerful mapping apps (ttqv, compegps land, globalmapper) for all your pc-side needs.

Hi michi;

OruxMaps with a .rmap map cheers

sqlite db map viewer for PC Device20110805210140

Not all projections (will work: mercator, lon/lat, UTM, Lambert, and Transverse Mercator).

And I have to find a solution to datum conversion,

I think I will have a beta in two days,

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  joeuser Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:14 pm

WOW. Thinking that I just spent a whole day converting & tiling France(1:25000) to a format that oruxmapsdesktop & oruxmaps can handle... RMAP support will rock :-).

Now we only need a solution for >2GB files on Android...

joeuser

Cantidad de envíos : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:17 pm

joeuser wrote:WOW. Thinking that I just spent a whole day converting & tiling France(1:25000) to a format that oruxmapsdesktop & oruxmaps can handle... RMAP support will rock :-).

Hi;

I need people for testing rmap maps;

-->oruxuro@gmail.com

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:53 pm

joeuser wrote:WOW. Thinking that I just spent a whole day converting & tiling France(1:25000) to a format that oruxmapsdesktop & oruxmaps can handle... RMAP support will rock :-).

Hi;

The last beta should work with some .rmap maps;

Please, tell us if work fine.

http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  ray Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:04 pm

orux wrote:

Hi;

-->oruxuro@gmail.com

orux

Hi Orux, thanks a lot for this new feature.
It's amazing cheers

Beside the 2 GB Limit, I found out that maps created with Compe Land 7.2 don't works.
The map folder scan failed without an error message.
RMAPs created with older Compe Land versions or TTQV4 works fine.

If you want I can send a small sample map to you.

ray

ray

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:10 pm

ray wrote:
orux wrote:

Hi;

-->oruxuro@gmail.com

orux

Hi Orux, thanks a lot for this new feature.
It's amazing cheers

Beside the 2 GB Limit, I found out that maps created with Compe Land 7.2 don't works.
The map folder scan failed without an error message.
RMAPs created with older Compe Land versions or TTQV4 works fine.

If you want I can send a small sample map to you.

ray

Thanks, ray;

please --> oruxuro@gmail.com

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  joeuser Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:52 pm

RMAPs work really well in the latest beta. Performance is very good now and comparable to the custom sqlitedb format.

When you export RMAPs from TTQV (the old V4 is preferable for this specific task), remember to use the 32bit-setting (16mio colors) and NOT 8bit (256 colors). On first glance, 8bit exports seem to make more sense. However, due to android/oruxmaps internals, truecolor files require less conversions on the mobile device and are thus faster. They are also prettier and the file size is smaller, so there's no reason to use 8bit at all.

Thanks again for a great feature, orux!

joeuser

Cantidad de envíos : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  amarok67 Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 am

Hy
I'll also find useful to use the "sqlite db" maps on the PC, edit them, print them ...

Aware of the work it represents.

Tnx a lot again for Oruxmaps

amarok67

Cantidad de envíos : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  zmart Tue May 15, 2012 11:26 am

Are there any news for a PC-viewer for oruxmaps-db filles?
Is it on your todo-list Orux?

zmart

Cantidad de envíos : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  QNX Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:51 am

zmart wrote:Are there any news for a PC-viewer for oruxmaps-db filles?
Is it on your todo-list Orux?

+1

I would love to use your software on my PC.. Android tablet off the road is amazing.. but it won't beat Toughbook CF-19 afro .

BTW, great work, and looking forward for your upcoming great improvements.

QNX

Cantidad de envíos : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down