OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  stayby on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:51 am

Dear all, first of all, let me tell you I'm a total newbie, so please without deride.
All I'm asking is some patiente and understanding. I did a lot of reading, but simply don't understand how to do if it's possible at all.
So if someone would take some time to explain me step by step how to do the following, if possible of course.
Regarding rumors that oruxmaps is a very good, if not the best apk for outdoor activity, crosscountry, which I do all the time, I'd really like to use it from now on.
But the problem appears, the maps. I have topographic maps for the whole country, which contains 201 .png files (it seems the maps are scanned) and 201 .tfw files.
The problem is I don't know what to do with them. How to conver them to compatible oruxmaps, so the apk will use them.
If this is possible at all, please, I'm askin someone to explain which tools, programms and steb by steps do I need to follow.
Thanks in advance

stayby

Cantidad de envíos : 5
Fecha de inscripción : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty Re: How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  orux on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:08 pm

stayby wrote:Dear all, first of all, let me tell you I'm a total newbie, so please without deride.
All I'm asking is some patiente and understanding. I did a lot of reading, but simply don't understand how to do if it's possible at all.
So if someone would take some time to explain me step by step how to do the following, if possible of course.
Regarding rumors that oruxmaps is a very good, if not the best apk for outdoor activity, crosscountry, which I do all the time, I'd really like to use it from now on.
But the problem appears, the maps. I have topographic maps for the whole country, which contains 201 .png files (it seems the maps are scanned) and 201 .tfw files.
The problem is I don't know what to do with them. How to conver them to compatible oruxmaps, so the apk will use them.
If this is possible at all, please, I'm askin someone to explain which tools, programms and steb by steps do I need to follow.
Thanks in advance

Hi;

Yes, you can create maps for Oruxmaps from your tfw maps, but you need to know the datum & projection of the maps, because the tfw does not provide that information. May be you also have the .proj file.

Then use OruxMapsDesktop batch converter to do the job; here the manual -->http://www.oruxmaps.com/manual_en.html

post if you need more help.

orux



_________________
Ahora puedes contribuir:--> DONACIÓN
Now you can contribute:--> DONATE
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946
Fecha de inscripción : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty Re: How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  stayby on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:25 am

Tanks for a quick replay. It is not going as it should, but "I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd..." :-),
One problem keeps bothering me. I would like to use topo maps in oruxmaps as ofline maps, so, to create them, I must select the Slovenian datum (allways promt me there is unknown datum), which I cannot in Oruxmaps Desktop. Between suggested, there is no SLO datum. Please advise.
I have the datums: "SLOVENIJA,3,668,-205,472"
and projection set up:
-+- Std grids: ------------------------
-+- Latitude origin 0 ,0000 N
-+- Longitude origin 15 ,0000 E
-+- Scale factor: 0,99990000
-+- False easting: 500000,00
-+- False northing: -5000000,00
Projection set up I managed to find and set, but I can't find how to adjust Slovenian Datum!!
Best Regards

stayby

Cantidad de envíos : 5
Fecha de inscripción : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty Re: How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  orux on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:29 pm

stayby wrote:Tanks for a quick replay. It is not going as it should, but "I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd..." :-),
One problem keeps bothering me. I would like to use topo maps in oruxmaps as ofline maps, so, to create them, I must select the Slovenian datum (allways promt me there is unknown datum), which I cannot in Oruxmaps Desktop. Between suggested, there is no SLO datum. Please advise.
I have the datums: "SLOVENIJA,3,668,-205,472"
and projection set up:
-+- Std grids: ------------------------
-+- Latitude origin 0 ,0000 N
-+- Longitude origin 15 ,0000 E
-+- Scale factor: 0,99990000
-+- False easting: 500000,00
-+- False northing: -5000000,00
Projection set up I managed to find and set, but I can't find how to adjust Slovenian Datum!!
Best Regards

Hi;

May be you need:

-->https://oruxmaps.forumotion.com/t391-d-48-slovenian-datum

orux

_________________
Ahora puedes contribuir:--> DONACIÓN
Now you can contribute:--> DONATE
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946
Fecha de inscripción : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty Re: How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  stayby on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:29 pm

orux,

thank you, I managed to do the thing.
It works, but what bothers me, is the quality of the maps. As mentioned in manuals I created a map in .png format (due low compression-better quality-needing to istall I/O advance imaging tools, which I did), but the quality while zooming the map using oruxmaps apk is dissapointing, though the quality of scanned .png image files of topo maps is very good. I don't know where's the catch, did I do something wrong or else?
With Best Regards

stayby

Cantidad de envíos : 5
Fecha de inscripción : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty Re: How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  orux on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:55 pm

stayby wrote:orux,

thank you, I managed to do the thing.
It works, but what bothers me, is the quality of the maps. As mentioned in manuals I created a map in .png format (due low compression-better quality-needing to istall I/O advance imaging tools, which I did), but the quality while zooming the map using oruxmaps apk is dissapointing, though the quality of scanned .png image files of topo maps is very good. I don't know where's the catch, did I do something wrong or else?
With Best Regards

Hi;

When you zoom in / out digitally, based on an image with a specific resolution, quality is always bad, I do not know exactly what you mean.

When you zoom in, for example, always pixelate the image, the closer you get.


orux

_________________
Ahora puedes contribuir:--> DONACIÓN
Now you can contribute:--> DONATE
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946
Fecha de inscripción : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty Re: How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  stayby on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Orux,

I have another payed apk in trial, which also uses offline topo maps and in trial period I was able to recive two of them (topo maps), to test the program. Those topo maps are regardless how much zooming I do, almost without pixalation. I mean if I zoom one of them and comparing to those made by oruxmaps desktop, the difference in quality is hudge. The signs on the map (made by oruxmap desk.) when zooming are almost unrecognizable. Do you maybe know why this diference? Is it possible to do any better?
Best Regards

stayby

Cantidad de envíos : 5
Fecha de inscripción : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty Re: How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  orux on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:37 pm

stayby wrote:Hi Orux,

I have another payed apk in trial, which also uses offline topo maps and in trial period I was able to recive two of them (topo maps), to test the program. Those topo maps are regardless how much zooming I do, almost without pixalation. I mean if I zoom one of them and comparing to those made by oruxmaps desktop, the difference in quality is hudge. The signs on the map (made by oruxmap desk.) when zooming are almost unrecognizable. Do you maybe know why this diference? Is it possible to do any better?
Best Regards


Hi,

And the maps that can be displayed with that application, are build from a single image (a png + a .tfw)?

If the source is a multilayer map, then you can also build maps for oruxmaps with no pixelation when zooming, for example, using mobac.

Take the map image, use a PC, with an application of image processing (gimp, photoshop,...); zoom in / out. That's what an application can do with an image of one layer.

orux


orux

_________________
Ahora puedes contribuir:--> DONACIÓN
Now you can contribute:--> DONATE
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946
Fecha de inscripción : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty Re: How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  stayby on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:05 pm

orux wrote:
Hi,

And the maps that can be displayed with that application, are build from a single image (a png + a .tfw)?

This I don't know. But what I do know is that those maps are lock protected, like Garmin's. You can't convert them or else.

orux wrote:
If the source is a multilayer map, then you can also build maps for oruxmaps with no pixelation when zooming, for example, using mobac.

Here is the link to my topo maps, please see and let me know what can we do:Topo Maps

orux wrote:

Take the map image, use a PC, with an application of image processing (gimp, photoshop,...); zoom in / out. That's what an application can do with an image of one layer.
Please be more specific, because I don't know what do I have to do:-)

Best Regards

stayby

Cantidad de envíos : 5
Fecha de inscripción : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps? Empty Re: How to covert .png and .tfw files to a map files compatible with oruxmaps?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum