OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eco Mode manually

2 posters

Go down

Eco Mode manually Empty Eco Mode manually

Post  Pedro Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:46 am

Usually, I have two cases where I use OruxMaps:

- Tracking a route driveing in the car (Hero on AC power)
- Tracking a route when hiking (Hero on Battery power)

In the car there is no need to lock the keys and turn off the display (Eco Mode) as Hero runs on AC power via cable ...
When hiking, it would be great, to start Eco mode manually, otherwise I have to wait a minute until Hero enters Eco Mode automatically (wich is a VERY useful function!) ... Furthermore it makes sense to be able to see, wheter Hero is in Eco mode or if it's off, for exampole by a blinking LED.

From a usability point of view, it would be good to be able to control that behaviour, and this could be done with a few simple changes:

In the settings (Application) there could be two additional points:

- Display always on
- LED on Eco Mode

So the user can choose, if he wants the display always on or automatically as it is now.
Furthermore, he can decide, if he wants to be remindend by a LED flashing, whether the device is off or on Eco mode.

Another change would then be the ability, to go into Eco mode manually, this could be very handy when hiking in the woods or in the mountains. In order to do it easily, this could be done by a tap on the center cross of the display. When tapping on it, the device could enter Eco mode immediately, so that the user can put it back in the pocket or wherever he wants.

I don't know, how complicated these changes are but they would improve the usability of the software.

Pedro

Cantidad de envíos : 32

Back to top Go down

Eco Mode manually Empty Re: Eco Mode manually

Post  orux Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 am

Hi, Pedro

Pedro wrote:
When hiking, it would be great, to start Eco mode manually, otherwise I have to wait a minute until Hero enters Eco Mode automatically (wich is a VERY useful function!) ... Furthermore it makes sense to be able to see, wheter Hero is in Eco mode or if it's off, for exampole by a blinking LED.

You can do that now, just click the "off" button and the phone will come in "eco mode". You do not have to wait to automatically enter in that mode.

Pedro wrote:
From a usability point of view, it would be good to be able to control that behaviour, and this could be done with a few simple changes:

In the settings (Application) there could be two additional points:
- Display always on
- LED on Eco Mode

So the user can choose, if he wants the display always on or automatically as it is now.
Furthermore, he can decide, if he wants to be remindend by a LED flashing, whether the device is off or on Eco mode.

I will implement these option in next version, it will be easy.

Thanks for your comments,

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:09 am

orux wrote:
You can do that now, just click the "off" button and the phone will come in "eco mode". You do not have to wait to automatically enter in that mode.
Then I have to retest it. I had the feeling, Hero did switch off completely when using the off button, but I retry this afternoon Very Happy

Pedro

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:03 am

Pedro wrote:
Then I have to retest it. I had the feeling, Hero did switch off completely when using the off button, but I retry this afternoon Very Happy

When you are in TrackLogging mode, and OruxMaps is paused, it adquires a partial power lock that do not let CPU go to sleep, even if you push "off" button (I think it works this way on all devices). It continues logging.

The problem with our androids, at least in my dream, is the battery life. Logging 4-5 hours with the screen off, and the battery is almost exhausted.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:26 pm

orux wrote:
Pedro wrote:

When you are in TrackLogging mode, and OruxMaps is paused, it adquires a partial power lock that do not let CPU go to sleep, even if you push "off" button (I think it works this way on all devices). It continues logging.

The problem with our androids, at least in my dream, is the battery life. Logging 4-5 hours with the screen off, and the battery is almost exhausted.

orux
You're right, logging continues I was wrong. Maybe I had a lost of satellites last time I teested.

To avoid battery exhaustion I would set 'LED on Eco mode' as discussed. It is a help to not forget, that Logging is running when coming home :-)

Pedro

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down