OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Create composite maps from OFFLINE maps

+2
orux
hansdampf
6 posters

Go down

Create composite maps from OFFLINE maps Empty Create composite maps from OFFLINE maps

Post  hansdampf Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi orux,

in your latest beta I have seen that i t is now possible to create composite maps from online maps. It would be great if this feature would be also available for OFFLINE maps.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
hansdampf

hansdampf

Cantidad de envíos : 18

Back to top Go down

Create composite maps from OFFLINE maps Empty Re: Create composite maps from OFFLINE maps

Post  orux Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:00 pm

hansdampf wrote:Hi orux,

in your latest beta I have seen that i t is now possible to create composite maps from online maps. It would be great if this feature would be also available for OFFLINE maps.

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
hansdampf

Hi;

It's not easy.

All the online maps use the same coordinate system, projection and scale.

With offline maps this does not happen. Maps should be reprojected, which is very complex.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Create composite maps from OFFLINE maps Empty How about an overlay map with given transparency

Post  hansdampf Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi orux,

I understand. So I have started thinking about an alternative. Maybe you can remember this post:
https://oruxmaps.forumotion.com/t2246-overlay-maps?highlight=overlay

Instead of creating a composite map it would be a good alternative (maybe even better) to have the ability to have an overlay map. If this overlay map can be adjusted by transparency it would be possible to see both maps. I don't know if you know Osmand. Osmand is doing this and thats a great feature. For example, if you have an overlay map just with contour lines you can lay it over every map and you will get a topo map. another case would be if you have a map with special points of interests you could add them to every map dynamically.

Btw, thank you very much for your great app and the thousand of great features you implemented in the last years. It's just great and Oruxmaps is by far my favourite app. I like outdoor activities and oruxmaps is my best fellow!

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
hansdampf

hansdampf

Cantidad de envíos : 18

Back to top Go down

Create composite maps from OFFLINE maps Empty offline maps

Post  frizzone Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 am

I have similar need using offline maps (my paper maps scanned and georeferenced); It would useful:
1) to see in the main screen the border of all the maps present in the map folder. I need this in order to check if an area where I have a track is all covered by my maps.
2) to mantain the map zoom: when I pass from a map to another map the program automatically zoom to 100 (by default). I've seen there is the possibility to variate the zoom level but it would very useful that the program mantain the same zoom level of the previous map. In fact I divide the big maps in a lot of sub maps and if I zoom I have a different view when I pass to the next map
3) to open at the same time 2 or more maps: this is useful to study the track before ridinig

Thank you very much for your great work Smile
Frizzone

frizzone

Cantidad de envíos : 3

Back to top Go down

Create composite maps from OFFLINE maps Empty Re: Create composite maps from OFFLINE maps

Post  Dfaure Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:18 pm

orux wrote:

It's not easy.

All the online maps use the same coordinate system, projection and scale.

With offline maps this does not happen. Maps should be reprojected, which is very complex.

orux

(just adopted an android phone, found OruxMaps, and already fan of it Very Happy )

Anyway, couldn't this at least be enabled for vectorial maps (eg. OSM or Garmin ones), which shouldn't suffer these issues. Navigating across frontiers with data roaming enabled is always a major source of financial troubles.

Cheers

Dfaure

Cantidad de envíos : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  frizzone Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:31 pm

frizzone wrote:I have similar need using offline maps (my paper maps scanned and georeferenced); It would useful:
1) to see in the main screen the border of all the maps present in the map folder. I need this in order to check if an area where I have a track is all covered by my maps.
2) to mantain the map zoom: when I pass from a map to another map the program automatically zoom to 100 (by default). I've seen there is the possibility to variate the zoom level but it would very useful that the program mantain the same zoom level of the previous map. In fact I divide the big maps in a lot of sub maps and if I zoom I have a different view when I pass to the next map
3) to open at the same time 2 or more maps: this is useful to study the track before ridinig

Thank you very much for your great work Smile
Frizzone
No feedback for my request? It's better to open a dedicated topic?
thx

frizzone

Cantidad de envíos : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  pulleman Sun May 26, 2013 8:48 am

I chime in on this one as well. Have a lot of overlay maps in garmin format, (which is pretty common there to work around limitiations like number of tracks or trackpoints).
it would be awesome to overlay offline maps.

pulleman

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  eartrumpet Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:39 pm

I also think that offline overlay/composite maps would be great.
A probably easy workaround would be an embeded png in a KML/KMZ-file via overlay, but that doesn't seem to work.
Would it be possible to include png functionality in KML overlays?

Here is a test file:
www.eartrumpet.net/temp/test.kmz

And here how it looks in Google Maps:
http://maps.google.de/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fwww.eartrumpet.net%2Ftemp%2Ftest.kmz&hl=de&sll=51.151786,10.415039&sspn=10.826259,24.851074&t=m&z=13

In Orux maps it only shows the track, not the image.

eartrumpet

Cantidad de envíos : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down