OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Close to unusable

Go down

Close to unusable Empty Close to unusable

Post  dsame on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:53 pm

On the first sight Oruxmap seems to be an excellent app. But is you try to use it the only excuse for its existence is the other attempts to create navigation programms for the android are even worse.

1. You see some silly annoying WPT_xxxx mark on the map and want to remove it. Tap and... you do not have "delete" button here. Well sometimes you have. And sometimes you not.  It's funny.

2. Ok, you went to Menu->Waypoints->Manage and see bunch of WPT_xxxx, of course you already forget which one you need to remove and would like to quickly take a look on the map, but allas, you will have to scroll through the zillions of waypoints (you do have zillion of them if you really use navigation) and most probably will forget WPT_xxxx once again.

3. How can all of you live without groups/categories/tags of waypoints? Am i the only person why tried oruxmaps for real travelling?

4. A track is something you left during your travel. It's pretty strange you can create it manually. But it's more strange you can not create a route you are going to follow. Well, in fact you can "Menu->Track->Create->Route->Invert->Route->Invert" but is not kind of schizophrenia, huh?

5. Indicators. Panels. Lot of them and none is good.
To see few characters of the map name is very useful feature indeed.
There are 3 "distances": "A distance", "Distance to target", "Dist. destination Wpt. Nav". God knows what does they mean.

But let's suppose
"Distance" - a distance since "Start Rec" has been clicked;
"Distance to target" - a lenght of the line connected current point and the very end of the point of the route? Or length of the route?
"Dist. destination Wpt. Nav" - for some reason a distance to the way point is not the same as the distance to the end point of routine?

Moreover, if you click "Route->Wpt.Nav" then, according to manual:
===
In this mode the indicators on the dashboard (target distance, ETA, ETE) are relative to the next POI.
===

so "Distance to target"  become equivalent to "Dist. destination Wpt. Nav" and you never know how long you have to go today.

Panels. i do not have a compas on my android device. But i still have to scroll through all the panels to reach the 2 i only need. With the mess of checkboxes unders "settings->user nterface->panel" was it so difficult to disable some of panes at all? Can you imagine the heart-attack your cause to a driver who has to wave with one of his hand among the city or under the +45C sun in the middle of Mongolia?

Very very bad. I see the developers phew at me.

Last edited by dsame on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

dsame

Cantidad de envíos : 4

Back to top Go down

Close to unusable Empty Re: Close to unusable

Post  orux on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi;

dsame wrote:On the first sight Oruxmap seems to be an excellent app. But is you try to use it the only excuse for its existence is the other attempts to create navigation programms for the android are even worse.
I think you got the wrong application. OruxMaps is not a car navigation tool. If you read what the description of the app says:

'Map viewer, track logger.
You can use OruxMaps for your outdoor activities (running, treking, mountain bike, paragliding, flying, nautic sports,....)'

dsame wrote:
1. You see some silly annoying WPT_xxxx mark on the map and want to remove it. Tap and... you do not have "delete" button here. Well sometimes you have. And sometimes you not.  It's funny.
You can remove the current track wpts (the track wpts you are creating), but not the wpts loaded from other tracks.

dsame wrote:
2. Ok, you went to Menu->Waypoints->Manage and see bunch of WPT_xxxx, of course you already forget which one you need to remove and would like to quickly take a look on the map, but allas, you will have to scroll through the zillions of waypoints (you do have zillion of them if you really use navigation) and most probably will forget WPT_xxxx once again.
OruxMaps is not a professional tool; may be you need another tool, if you want to manage such amount of wpts. There are many paid apps that should allow such functions.

dsame wrote:
3. How can all of you live without groups/categories/tags of waypoints? Am i the only person why tried oruxmaps for real travelling?

You can work with the wpts with a lot of ways:

--search by name/description.
--filter by track owner, type (you can have your own types), distance from here, date,...
--sort by name, date, type,...
--drag & drop to sort
--multiple selection.

With a little intelligence you can do many things.

dsame wrote:
4. A track is something you left during your travel. It's pretty strange you can create it manually. But it's more strange you can not create a route you are going to follow. Well, in fact you can "Menu->Track->Create->Route->Invert->Route->Invert" but is not kind of schizophrenia, huh?

This does nothing.

But you can create a track by hand, the go to 'Tracks--manage', select the top one and 'load as a route'.

Or you can use 'Route--Search route' to find a route using online/offline geocoding services.

dsame wrote:
5. Indicators. Panels. Lot of them and none is good.
To see few characters of the map name is very useful feature indeed.
There are 3 "distances": "A distance", "Distance to target", "Dist. destination Wpt. Nav". God knows what does they mean.

But let's suppose
"Distance" - a distance since "Start Rec" has been clicked;
"Distance to target" - a lenght of the line connected current point and the very end of the point of the route? Or length of the route?
"Dist. destination Wpt. Nav" - for some reason a distance to the way point is not the same as the distance to the end point of routine?

Moreover, if you click "Route->Wpt.Nav" then, according to manual:
===
In this mode the indicators on the dashboard (target distance, ETA, ETE) are relative to the next POI.
===

so "Distance to target"  become equivalent to "Dist. destination Wpt. Nav" and you never know how long you have to go today.

You can customize your panels,  even not showing any, if you want.

Translations may not be correct. All help in this regard will be good, but each panel has its meaning away.

dsame wrote:
Panels. i do not have a compas on my android device. But i still have to scroll through all the panels to reach the 2 i only need. With the mess of checkboxes unders "settings->user nterface->panel" was it so difficult to disable some of panes at all? Can you imagine the heart-attack your cause to a driver who has to wave with one of his hand among the city or under the +45C sun in the middle of Mongolia?

Very very bad. I see the developers phew at me.

OruxMaps remembers the last panel you used, so you will not have to go through all panels whenever you want to see the last used.

OruxMaps certainly was not designed for devices with no compass sensor. It is a very basic and necessary sensor for outdoor activities. I will consider your suggestion.

orux

orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Close to unusable Empty please do not exaggerate - mal den ball flach halten

Post  thomashsk on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:57 am

hello dsame,

please keep in mind, oruxmaps is not an "out of the box" tool, like car navigation systems. although the usability is greatly improved since ver. 5.x.

after using it since 2 years, I can say it is a perfect piece of software - I love it. ok, it took me some time to get firm with it. but this was not only a matter of oruxmaps, i had my problems with the terms and the topic of outdoor navigation. in the past the program missed some things, but I always found a workaround.

and orux added more and more features. remember this software is free. I mention, you will not find a better one even if you pay for. thats why it is not fair to blame orux. spend a little time to learn about the program and you will understand it. and at last, if you will find some suggestions for improvement: post it here ! orux will read it and keep in mind. that is your job using free software.

thomashsk

thomashsk

Cantidad de envíos : 29

Back to top Go down

Post  dsame on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:14 pm

I understand the difference between car navigation systems and oruxmap. Moreover if i did not i would have not used Oruxmap.

The statement "There are many paid apps that should allow such functions" is not true. There's no one application with the required functionality. Well, honestly, there's OziExplorer, but it is only for Windows platform, ugly, uncomfortable and schizophrenic.

There are Androzic, RMap and something i forgot, but they are not even toys.

So, we, off-road travelers has no choice - Oruxmap is the only app we can use with the rasterized maps. I would be happy to pay for "PRO" version up to $100 if it had had the features i am seeking for.

"if you want to manage such amount of wpts"

And it does not matter do we use car or no. Imagine you have a pedestrian or bicycle tour over an Italy and want to plan it carefully. You will have ~100 POIs in ~10 cities. And only 5 days of the vacation. You will need to plan your route over the streets. You will have to change the route quickly while staying before a crossroad.

"You can remove the current track wpts (the track wpts you are creating), but not the wpts loaded from other tracks"

Why? How can i remember the origin of the point? I just do not want to see it anymore. I understand this point may be important for the other route, but why don't you use "unlink" option instead of "remove"? Each point has a counter of the linked routes, or you the database keeps references - just remove the reference and remove the point if there's no one reference. Or ask an user "This point is used in the routes: do you want to remove it from the current route or purge from the database?"

"You can work with the wpts with a lot of ways"

No one of them allows me to add a wpt to some group, without having lot of typing. A dropdown of the "types" is almost good but you can not add another on the fly. For example you are riding a bike and see a stream you can go over - how you could add it instantly and find among the hundreds to show it to the friends next day? Or you plan a building to see in some sity - how you can add them while staying at home and next find quickly while going over the town?

"But you can create a track by hand, the go to 'Tracks--manage', select the top one and 'load as a route'."

Why software developers so illogical? It's like to remove a tooth through the asshole, isn't it?

"Or you can use 'Route--Search route' to find a route"

I have a car navigation that could it much better.But it's not a tool i need. I need a tool to make my router over the places without any roads and have a way to modify it on the fly because the stream may become a wide river or a route be forbidden by a fallen tree.

"You can customize your panels, even not showing any, if you want."

No. I can not. Well, i can hide "the panels", yes (as soon as i'll find out what "new panel", "dashboard" and the others similar words spread all other setting mean), but i can not remove "tabs" from right-side pannel. I need exactly 2 of them - "waypoints" and "computer" - so i could switch between them without any confusing and very fast. Instead i have to scroll through 5 or six meaningless screens. It's annoying.

I want to see next wpt on the bottom panel, but i can not - few first characters have not mean. The same about map names.

"I will consider your suggestion."

Thanx. I hope you are not like Microsoft/Apple giants which never listen the user's requests.

So to summarize:

1. Waypoints organization. Another settings panel to manage tags and a way to assign a tag to a waypoint. A way to add a waypoint to ANY (not only to current) route and remove from any route.
2. Route - a route must be allowed to go through the existing waypoints. It is craziness to tap to create new empty one just to create a route.
3. Calculations - the waypoints navigation should use the total length of the route, not a sum of the segments connected the points. There must be exactly two numbers: a distance to the closest wpt and a length of the rest of the route.
4. Import/Export - never export the WPTs with the same values. The duplicates make import/export completely unusable.
5. Re-label the panels. "New panel" is the terrible title. Is it so difficult to have "top", "left", "bottom" panels and use a word "tab" for the areas inside them while "page" would mean "a slider page"? Make any tab and pages optional.

Pay attention #1,#2 are the excellent features you may sell in the pro version. See the OZI market share - you can take it all while there's no any competitors close by. With the terrible calculation you have now (i have a recorded track exactly of 120km, but it shows 90 and 160km if loaded a route dependin on the direction and route/wpt navigation mode) you would be hardly thanked even for free.

"you will not find a better one even if you pay for. thats why it is not fair to blame orux"

Are you a communist? Having not a choice is not a reason to be, errhh, your soviet friends would use a word "terpila" meaning "a pathetic prisoner humiliated by the other prisoners"

dsame

Cantidad de envíos : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  potifa on Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:46 pm

dsame,

I think the feedback you receive here is more a reaction to your tone rather than the content of your postings. You are quite from the very beginning. You wrote in your first post: "I see the developers phew at me." I'm honestly very impressed by how calm Orux responded on that. Remember: It is ONE developer doing it as a LEISURE activity. This app is not working perfectly? Of course! You reckon yourself that still it is working better and offering more comprehensive functionality than any other app you know, including commercial providers (that really have big development teams).

If these things would be so easy to implement, I bet you would find them in many apps. They are nice features, let me say that. I personally, however, think they are no core functionality and I would not like to see them implemented on the expense of the performance of core features of the app. (Logging a track and following pre-planned routes and tracks.) Orux, one thing however, how does multiselection work with waypoints?

I understand your frustration: You might have used the app for a while and you have now reached a stage that the shortcomings of the app affect your personal way of using it. Okay, that's one thing. The other thing is to get rude with someone who basically gifted you something. That's not really necessary, I feel.

potifa

potifa

Cantidad de envíos : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum