OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX files as overlays

4 posters

Go down

GPX files as overlays Empty GPX files as overlays

Post  joeuser Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:19 am

Being fairly new to oruxmaps, I admit not having looked too deeply into the database track handling yet. However, it seems a bit cumbersome to use for simple "map overlays".

Example: GranCanariaSingletrack.gpx that has plenty of ridable mountainbike singletrack on Gran Canaria.

What I'd wish for: Simply drop this file into some orux/overlays folder on my sd card. Oruxmaps would offer a view of this folder where i could tick each gpx on and off and set a "base color". Oruxmaps should display each track contained in the gpx, including its name(!) at the start position. The base color would have to be modified slightly for every track.

A similar handling should obviously be possible for waypoints, like "AllMountainHutsInSwitzerland.gpx". And for gpx-files that contain multiple types of data.

I would prefer to keep this completely separate from the "track database" or any import/export actions. We are basically just talking about "additional custom layers" on top of our maps, much like the layers you can enable in GoogleEarth.

If you have to put stuff into a "database" for speedy onscreen display, do it "internally" without bothering the user. We should only concern ourselves with supplying the data and not become database import & export junkies imho :-). So the entity that a user deals with in this case should always and only be the gpx file.

If we want to navigate a track in one of those overlay files instead of only viewing, we could select its title on the map and choose "follow". You could then (and only then) import it as a route into your database.

Greetings,
Stefan.

joeuser

Cantidad de envíos : 35

Back to top Go down

GPX files as overlays Empty Re: GPX files as overlays

Post  orux Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:04 pm

joeuser wrote:Being fairly new to oruxmaps, I admit not having looked too deeply into the database track handling yet. However, it seems a bit cumbersome to use for simple "map overlays".

Example: GranCanariaSingletrack.gpx that has plenty of ridable mountainbike singletrack on Gran Canaria.

What I'd wish for: Simply drop this file into some orux/overlays folder on my sd card. Oruxmaps would offer a view of this folder where i could tick each gpx on and off and set a "base color". Oruxmaps should display each track contained in the gpx, including its name(!) at the start position. The base color would have to be modified slightly for every track.

A similar handling should obviously be possible for waypoints, like "AllMountainHutsInSwitzerland.gpx". And for gpx-files that contain multiple types of data.

I would prefer to keep this completely separate from the "track database" or any import/export actions. We are basically just talking about "additional custom layers" on top of our maps, much like the layers you can enable in GoogleEarth.

If you have to put stuff into a "database" for speedy onscreen display, do it "internally" without bothering the user. We should only concern ourselves with supplying the data and not become database import & export junkies imho :-). So the entity that a user deals with in this case should always and only be the gpx file.

If we want to navigate a track in one of those overlay files instead of only viewing, we could select its title on the map and choose "follow". You could then (and only then) import it as a route into your database.

Greetings,
Stefan.

Hi, thanks;

I will have your comments into account in future versions.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  maxhax Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:59 am

any news on this? gpx as simple map overlays outside of any database mess would really be a big step forward.

maxhax

Back to top Go down

Post  michi Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:33 am

i second this. we really need a way to display more than just a single gpx file on a map. what's the reason for this limit anyway? anything android/mapview/java related?

on a side note: the performance when loading a large gpx file (multiple tracks, maybe 10000 points total) is pretty miserable. scrolling around in the map afterwards is sluggish and slow. the same file on a stone-age-windowsmobile-pocketpc (software PathAway) works flawlessly and fast (like mentioned in the first post). that seems strange, since the android machine should be at least five times faster, hardware wise.

optimizing potential: when loading a track for display, build an internal cascade of "lowres subtracks" that contain only every 2nd/4th/8th/etc point. choose which of those reduced subtracks to render depening on displayed area.

michi

Back to top Go down

Post  lalelale Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:05 am

I second the proposal for implementing a more flexible gpx display option. But I can understand the implementation difficulty with large gpx files... One option could be to prerender the gpx some transparent tiles, and compositing them over the view, which should make scrolling much faster as the lines do not need to be re-rendered. But the approach has its disadvantages.

But, I can also suggest a different approach to the original poster: if you are allowed by the license of these gpx files (maybe asking the author), upload the files on openstreetmaps and trace the tracks as appropriate (that's easier than it seems, and you don't need to download any software to do this). Then, you will get those paths directly rendered in the openstreetmap maps. And everybody would benefit from this as well.

lalelale

Cantidad de envíos : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:48 pm

lalelale wrote:I second the proposal for implementing a more flexible gpx display option. But I can understand the implementation difficulty with large gpx files... One option could be to prerender the gpx some transparent tiles, and compositing them over the view, which should make scrolling much faster as the lines do not need to be re-rendered. But the approach has its disadvantages.

But, I can also suggest a different approach to the original poster: if you are allowed by the license of these gpx files (maybe asking the author), upload the files on openstreetmaps and trace the tracks as appropriate (that's easier than it seems, and you don't need to download any software to do this). Then, you will get those paths directly rendered in the openstreetmap maps. And everybody would benefit from this as well.

Hi;

There is a problem with that approach, when zooming, or changing the map (and you use another that uses a different projection) the layer must be recreated.

Android is really powerful, my nexus can handle paths with more than 20,000 points without problems.

It will be easy to paint several tracks on the screen simply by reducing the maximum total of points painted, just a matter of implementing it. Soon you will see.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  michi Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:31 pm

this is not available yet is it?

my dream is still to simply checkmark on/off gpx files on the filesystem and orux will display them. no bothering the user with being a database import/export junky :-).

when thinking about track display, keep colors in mind! if a gpx contains more than one track, you should modify the base color slightly for each. also display the track name at the start point.

since most tracks are circular, we also need to know which direction we're supposed to go. a few arrows along the track (point x -> point x+1) would help with this.

michi

Back to top Go down

Post  New Daddy Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:54 pm

What's the latest on this?
Is it possible to overlay a second map on a base map now?

New Daddy

Cantidad de envíos : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down