OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Group maps

2 posters

Go down

How to Group maps Empty How to Group maps

Post  asperge Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:51 am

Hi Jose,

I've converted all my ozi maps with the new OruxMapsDesktop, and it works fine. I was wondering about this:
- If you have a lot of cards from different regions, when you want to browse maps, they are all at the same level. This means you may have hundreds of maps displayed and you are interested only by a small percent. I think that it would be great to have a feature in order to group maps by region or countries, so you will be able group maps. I am not sure what would be the best way to do it. But what about this: In the mapfiles folder, all the subfolders which doesn't contains directly maps files are considered as containers. Perhaps in settings it would be possible to define the current active 'region/country' node.

Example:

\maps files
\Spain
Spain1.map
Spain2.map
\Italy
Italy1.Map
Italy2.Map

By default, the root node would be \maps files, but in the settings you could set it to Spain, and see only spanish maps. What do you think of this?

asperge

Cantidad de envíos : 49

Back to top Go down

How to Group maps Empty Re: How to Group maps

Post  orux Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:25 pm

asperge wrote:Hi Jose,

I've converted all my ozi maps with the new OruxMapsDesktop, and it works fine. I was wondering about this:
- If you have a lot of cards from different regions, when you want to browse maps, they are all at the same level. This means you may have hundreds of maps displayed and you are interested only by a small percent. I think that it would be great to have a feature in order to group maps by region or countries, so you will be able group maps. I am not sure what would be the best way to do it. But what about this: In the mapfiles folder, all the subfolders which doesn't contains directly maps files are considered as containers. Perhaps in settings it would be possible to define the current active 'region/country' node.

Example:

\maps files
\Spain
Spain1.map
Spain2.map
\Italy
Italy1.Map
Italy2.Map

By default, the root node would be \maps files, but in the settings you could set it to Spain, and see only spanish maps. What do you think of this?

Hi, asperge;

It is a good idea. I was thinking in a solution for people who have maps from the same zone, downloaded from different sources. And this will solve this problem. Only adding a multiple selector in settings, in order to be able to use simultaneous diferent folders.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  asperge Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:23 pm

orux wrote:
Hi, asperge;

It is a good idea. I was thinking in a solution for people who have maps from the same zone, downloaded from different sources. And this will solve this problem. Only adding a multiple selector in settings, in order to be able to use simultaneous diferent folders.

orux

Thanks for your feedback Jose. Yes simultaneous zones sound good. But simultaneous zones can be handled in different ways : for example do we let the user select only zones which have the same parent, or even more difficult zones not directly related which can be found everywhere in the tree?
Let's say for the sake of the argument that we allow only a simple case: in settings the user can set the root zone, and he can select only the 'child zones'.

Examples:

\mapsfiles
--\Europe (root zone)
----\Spain (selected)
----\France (selected)
----\Germany (not selected)
--\UnitedStates

Some possibilities :
The user set Europe as the root zone and select Spain and France. 1) When the user wants to load a map, we could displays all the maps of Spain and France, (2) or we could allow the user to select Spain or France, and then select one map in the country. 3) Or another possibility : we could have two menus : a menu 'Select zone', where the user could select the 'active' zone, Spain or France in the root zone (Europe) , and 'maps' menu, where all the maps of the active zone are displayed, and the user can select one.

Examples:

1) User click maps -> a dialog box appears :

Select a map:
'spain1.maps'
'spain2.maps'
'spain3.maps'
'france1.maps'
'france2.maps'
'france3.maps'

2) User click maps menu -> a dialog box appears:

Select zone:
Spain
France

Another dialog box appears for the selected country (let's say France):

Select Map:
France1.map
France2.map
France3.map

3) By default Spain is defined as the activezone. The user wants to deal only with France. He runs the zone menu, a dialog box appears:

Select Zone:
Spain
France (France is selected)

Then the User runs the Maps menu, and a dialog box appears which displays all maps of France.

Select Map:
France1.map
France2.map
France3.map

Ok, these are just ideas, i don't say they are the best, and perhaps you had a different approach in your mind.

asperge

Cantidad de envíos : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi, asperge;

Thanks for give me these ideas!

I was thinking in this problem:
I have a Madrid multilayer map, downloaded from google terrain, and a Madrid multilayer map, downloaded from CycleMaps. OruxMaps 'zoom' and 'auto load' do not know anything about map families. If I have Google maps in a folder, and Cycle maps in another, I can activate/deactivate the maps that I do not want zoom take in account.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down