OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Navigate to" feature

3 posters

Go down

"Navigate to" feature Empty "Navigate to" feature

Post  loremipsum Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi

First of all I'd like to thank you for this awesome application. I use it extensively for my outdoor activities and I just love it! cheers

There is, however, one tiny feature that I still miss. And that is, the possibility to select a point on the map and than getting turn-by-turn directions how to get to this point by car. No worries, I do not expect to get this directions by OruxMaps. Instead a third party tool, such as google maps, should take this job over. I had a look into this topic my self, i.e., how to launch google maps such that it shows a particular location. It's very simple. The following call is all that is needed:

Code:

Intent i = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW, Uri.parse("geo:41.387885,2.16774"));
startActivity(i);

I reckon, that determining the latitude and longitude of the selected point on the map is no big deal, as it is also displayed, when moving the map.

The reason why I'd love to have this feature, is the following: I usually plan my (hiking) trips on the computer. Then I export the trips as gpx-file to my Android phone and load the track in OruxMaps to make sure that everything is fine. For most of the time my hikes start somewhere where I first have to use the car to get there. Being lazy, I do not spend much time studying the route. Instead I simply use my navigation app (which also captures the posted intent) to get directed. While this works fine in general, it sometimes takes me quite a while to find the right spot on the map of the navigation app, because that map is not as detailed as the one I'm using in OruxMaps. And finding the location by name (which is supported by the navigation app) doesn't work most of the time, because the hikes usually do not start in a town or village. So it would be very convenient if I can just call the navigation app with the right coordinates from within OruxMaps after I checked that the track could be loaded and having positioned the pointer to the start of the track.

It would be really terrific if you can add this feature.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Luigi

loremipsum

Cantidad de envíos : 1

Back to top Go down

"Navigate to" feature Empty Re: "Navigate to" feature

Post  orux Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:30 pm

loremipsum wrote:Hi

First of all I'd like to thank you for this awesome application. I use it extensively for my outdoor activities and I just love it! cheers

There is, however, one tiny feature that I still miss. And that is, the possibility to select a point on the map and than getting turn-by-turn directions how to get to this point by car. No worries, I do not expect to get this directions by OruxMaps. Instead a third party tool, such as google maps, should take this job over. I had a look into this topic my self, i.e., how to launch google maps such that it shows a particular location. It's very simple. The following call is all that is needed:

Code:

Intent i = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_VIEW, Uri.parse("geo:41.387885,2.16774"));
startActivity(i);

I reckon, that determining the latitude and longitude of the selected point on the map is no big deal, as it is also displayed, when moving the map.

The reason why I'd love to have this feature, is the following: I usually plan my (hiking) trips on the computer. Then I export the trips as gpx-file to my Android phone and load the track in OruxMaps to make sure that everything is fine. For most of the time my hikes start somewhere where I first have to use the car to get there. Being lazy, I do not spend much time studying the route. Instead I simply use my navigation app (which also captures the posted intent) to get directed. While this works fine in general, it sometimes takes me quite a while to find the right spot on the map of the navigation app, because that map is not as detailed as the one I'm using in OruxMaps. And finding the location by name (which is supported by the navigation app) doesn't work most of the time, because the hikes usually do not start in a town or village. So it would be very convenient if I can just call the navigation app with the right coordinates from within OruxMaps after I checked that the track could be loaded and having positioned the pointer to the start of the track.

It would be really terrific if you can add this feature.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Luigi

Hi, Luigi;

You can start android 'Navigation' from a waypoint:

"Navigate to" feature Device20110718182808

If you have a starting waypoint in your rute, 'tap' the wpt, then select 'navigator'

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  starbright Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:49 pm

I think I need another week to check all the features you have build in.
Currently ZANavi crashes when starting with it. (The Process com.zoffcc.applications.zanavi) was stopped unexpected.

I think it is a great idea to integrate it - both an offline and a online Routing. What I would prefer over handing over to ZANavi is, to start it just for generating the route and than import this into Orux. Is this possible?
In this way we can enjoy the Orux-GUI even longer.

starbright

Cantidad de envíos : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down