OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads)

+3
barte
pmeadco
garygazanga
7 posters

Go down

Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads) Empty Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads)

Post  garygazanga Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:08 am

When I first loaded OruxMaps - I downloaded Google Terrain maps fine and even created offline maps with them.
However - newly loaded maps are now shown mostly black (with just white roads). The older offline tiles still display in correct colour, so its just the newly downloaded tiles that seem affected.

I'm using HTC Hero and the latest version of OruxMaps.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get colour and contours back into my Google Terrain?

garygazanga

Cantidad de envíos : 6

Back to top Go down

Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads) Empty Furthermore...

Post  garygazanga Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Note that I can download the Google Terrain tiles just fine using the normal mapping application on my Hero. Its only OruxMaps that seems to have a problem. Since it can render the older offline Google Terrain maps OK (adjacent to newer black tiles) I can only think that it is related to the downloading process, rather than the display?

I have also noticed that MOBAC ( 1.8 ) (on two different PCs) also downloads Google Terrain in this strange, mostly black, manner.

Last edited by garygazanga on Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : get rid of icon)

garygazanga

Back to top Go down

Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads) Empty Re: Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads)

Post  pmeadco Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:02 am

I have the exact same problem... Sad I'm running 4.6.3.

Last edited by pmeadco on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added version)

pmeadco

Cantidad de envíos : 3

Back to top Go down

Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads) Empty Re: Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads)

Post  barte Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:55 am

Me too. Strange.

barte

Cantidad de envíos : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  sustuso Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Same Problem on Galaxy S, GT-I9000, 2.3.6 with Oruxmap 4.6.3

sustuso

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:27 pm

sustuso wrote:Same Problem on Galaxy S, GT-I9000, 2.3.6 with Oruxmap 4.6.3

Hi;

there is a change in the url;

edit oruxmaps/mapfiles/onlinemapsources.xml file

replace google terrain url with:
<url><![CDATA[http://mt{$s}.google.com/vt/lyrs=t,r&hl={$l}&x={$x}&y={$y}&z={$z}]]></url>

then remove old tiles from cache (main screen, menu).

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  sustuso Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Tnks now work for me Wink

sustuso

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  pmeadco Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm

OK, after a few false starts and some help from Jose, I got it working. For anybody else wrestling with this, I believe that the following is the complete list of steps.

1) Edit onlinemapsources.xml file
2) Go to Main Screen
3) Tap menu button and tap Remove from cache
4) Select Google Terrain
5) Tap OK
6) Tap Map Online
7) Tap Reset Map Sources

That should do it.

Last edited by pmeadco on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm; edited 3 times in total

pmeadco

Back to top Go down

Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads) Empty Excellent - and the same applies to MOBAC too!

Post  garygazanga Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Great - all working on my HTC Hero.
I also found the mapsources.properties file in MOBAC and deleted the @126 and @142 from the Google Terrain line, and hey-presto MOBAC starts working too!

Thank guys.

Last edited by garygazanga on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : make clearer)

garygazanga

Back to top Go down

Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads) Empty How to go about changing URl

Post  tommy.pool Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi;

there is a change in the url;

edit oruxmaps/mapfiles/onlinemapsources.xml file

replace google terrain url with:
<url><![CDATA[http://mt{$s}.google.com/vt/lyrs=t,r&hl={$l}&x={$x}&y={$y}&z={$z}]]></url>

then remove old tiles from cache (main screen, menu).

orux

Orux, could you please explain how I go about changing the URL.

Last edited by tommy.pool on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : messed up)

tommy.pool

Cantidad de envíos : 1

Back to top Go down

Google Terrain maps are black (with white roads) Empty Ediuting the URL

Post  garygazanga Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:07 am

I simply connected my phone to a PC as a USB drive. Then located the oruxmaps/mapfiles/onlinemapsources.xml and edited it with notepad (or similar).
Search for the word terrrain and you will find a line very similar to the one that orux supplied in his reply. Select the whole line and replace it with the one he supplied. It only differs very slightly but makes all the difference.

You can do it directly on your phone if you have a file management app such as Astro. Using Astro, go to Home and you will find oruxmaps directory at the top level. navigate down to the xml file and double click it - you can then edit the file. Less fiddly on a PC though!

Gary

garygazanga

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:56 am

Worked for me to but would be nice if this were done for Orux users in an update. BTW, for anyone like me who is not a developer I would suggest saving the onlinemapsources.xml as onlinemapsources.xml.bak first, then edit the working file.

Also Google Terrain is nowhere near as detailed as USGS maps for the USA. It would be wonderful to see Orux Maps able to use free US Topo digital topographic maps from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in PDF format with geospatial extensions (GeoPDF®). If they have Interactive capabilities with Google Maps then could Orux import them and use them?
http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html

Brian

Cantidad de envíos : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  pmeadco Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Brian wrote:It would be wonderful to see Orux Maps able to use free US Topo digital topographic maps from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in PDF format with geospatial extensions (GeoPDF®).
If the USGS has a server that offers tiles then I bet it could be done, but I have never seen anything other than the printable quad maps on the USGS web site. Anybody know of a USGS server that offers up tiles/layers needed by apps like Orux?

pmeadco

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 pm

pmeadco wrote:
Brian wrote:It would be wonderful to see Orux Maps able to use free US Topo digital topographic maps from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in PDF format with geospatial extensions (GeoPDF®).
If the USGS has a server that offers tiles then I bet it could be done, but I have never seen anything other than the printable quad maps on the USGS web site. Anybody know of a USGS server that offers up tiles/layers needed by apps like Orux?
Unfortunately with the demise of a MOBAC USGS map resource Orux is all but but useless for offroad navigation in the USA. Glad I spent some time making USGS maps for Orux of my favorite and some bucket list destinations before MOBAC lost it data sources. And glad the market allows you to reinstall paid apps because Backpacker GPS Navigation (Trimble) app looks like it might work now.

I just went to http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/ustopo_feedback.html and asked...
"Are USGS digital topo maps in GeoPDF format able to be parsed into map "tiles" for use with GPS devices for backcountry navigation? Are you aware of any resources that offer free USGS map "tiles"? Thanks"

Brian

Cantidad de envíos : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down