OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Altitude from DEM rather than GPS (or auto correct)?

2 posters

Go down

Altitude from DEM rather than GPS (or auto correct)? Empty Altitude from DEM rather than GPS (or auto correct)?

Post  drmrbrewer Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:32 am

I've loaded a DEM file for the purpose of the 3D map feature.

Since the DEM altitude data is very accurate, and GPS altitude data is not, when recording a track is it possible to set oruxmaps to write the altitude for each trackpoint based on the DEM data, not GPS data? I see there is an option to display the DEM altitude in the dashboard, but it doesn't seem to record the DEM altitude in the track... only display it.

Alternatively, I also notice there is an option to correct altitude of an existing track with reference to mapquest (or google). Rather than correcting AFTER recording a track, is it possible to set oruxmaps to just record the correct altitude DURING the recording of a track? That way, there isn't yet another step to perform after finishing a track (possibly forgetting).

Thanks,

Mike

drmrbrewer

Cantidad de envíos : 10

Back to top Go down

Altitude from DEM rather than GPS (or auto correct)? Empty Re: Altitude from DEM rather than GPS (or auto correct)?

Post  orux Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:13 pm

drmrbrewer wrote:I've loaded a DEM file for the purpose of the 3D map feature.

Since the DEM altitude data is very accurate, and GPS altitude data is not, when recording a track is it possible to set oruxmaps to write the altitude for each trackpoint based on the DEM data, not GPS data? I see there is an option to display the DEM altitude in the dashboard, but it doesn't seem to record the DEM altitude in the track... only display it.

Alternatively, I also notice there is an option to correct altitude of an existing track with reference to mapquest (or google). Rather than correcting AFTER recording a track, is it possible to set oruxmaps to just record the correct altitude DURING the recording of a track? That way, there isn't yet another step to perform after finishing a track (possibly forgetting).

Thanks,

Mike

Hi, Mike;

Not yet, but maybe I implement it in the future.

Not always we have more accurate altitudes using DEM,s. For example a DEM with a 100x100 mts. grid can give readings worse than those obtained using the GPS.

orux

orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Altitude from DEM rather than GPS (or auto correct)? Empty Re: Altitude from DEM rather than GPS (or auto correct)?

Post  drmrbrewer Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Hi orux

Thanks for the reply. OK, so maybe DEM as the altitude data source in future.

What about auto correction -- during tracking -- using mapquest or google? i.e. using Online Elevation Service option, but during tracking rather than after?

Thanks Smile

Mike

P.S. I'm trying out the correction option using the google server instead of mapquest... which is fine but in the dialog that pops up just before the correction happens, it still says "altitude data courtesy of mapquest"... but it's not once I've taken out the mapquest settings. Just a suggestion for minor improvement, to remove the mapquest acknowledgment in that case.

drmrbrewer

Cantidad de envíos : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down