OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

offline maps for usa

2 posters

Go down

offline maps for usa Empty offline maps for usa

Post  cheers2 Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:33 am

Hello NG,

i am going to the US in NOV and would like to use oruxmaps for a general overview of the states we are going to but also for getting orientation when hiking or going off streets (high zoom level).

The states we will visit:
Florida
Georgia
Alabama

maybe:
Mississippi
Louisiana
South Carolina

Does anyone have experiance with the maps available for oruxmaps and can give a recommendation.
Also, i have read that downloading googlemaps can create a problem after a certain volume. Does that still exist?

Any comment would be highly appreciated.
Many thanks

cheers

cheers2

Cantidad de envíos : 5

Back to top Go down

offline maps for usa Empty Re: offline maps for usa

Post  MB Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Does anyone Have experiance with the maps available for OruxMaps and Can Give a recommendation.
Also, i have read downloading googlemaps That Can Create a problem after A Certain volume. That does still exist?

Happens frequently with this and some other mapsources. If you use MOBAC, there are several workarouds: All maptiles are stored (cached), so you can reuse them for creating new maps later if one donwnload crashes - adjust the cache settings if necessary and wait one day or so, then resume the download.

You could also use a proxy (e.g. a free one from hidemyass.com) directly on MOBAC (proxy settings) or use programs like HotspotShield - when your current IP is blocked, you simply enter another proxy address and continue - but in this case, it is best to cancel the map creation in MOBAC and make another one with the same area and zoom levels. MOBAC will then use the tiles from its cache, and start downloading new ones when necessary.

A faster method is to change proxy ip address for every 9500 tiles you download, but the number depends on the map provider.

MB

Cantidad de envíos : 70

Back to top Go down

Post  cheers2 Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:37 am

hello ng,

thanks for your reply and advice on the workaround of the offline maps. i have now decided to take yahoo maps due to the clearest distinction of the roads (lets see whether this was the right decision). The good thing so far is, that apparently i am not blocked by the yahoo server. I have downloaded 3,5 GB of tiles with MOBAC so far over the weekend.

brgds
cheers

cheers2

Cantidad de envíos : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down