OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Ozi (Windows Mobile) to OruxMaps (Android)

2 posters

Go down

From Ozi (Windows Mobile) to OruxMaps (Android) Empty From Ozi (Windows Mobile) to OruxMaps (Android)

Post  rjbsilva Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:46 am

Hi,

As the title suggests, I've been a Ozi user for the past years in my windows mobile device. Recently i decided to get an android phone and immediately started looking for something similar on android's universe. I easily found Oruxmaps and concluded it was the best offer out there to use offline maps.

I have some doubts and suggestions regarding the app, but first let me tell how i used Ozi and how i need to use Oruxmaps.

In my free time i fly an ultralight here in Portugal. I follow the visual rules (VFR) and use this kind of mapping applications to help me navigating the country. The offline maps i use are roadmaps, because up there, roads are a great landmark to follow Smile Of course I always bring along with me the traditional aviation paper chart where i have all the aeronautical information i need (and for the cause gps battery run out). Both complement just great.

So, in Ozi, every time i went for a flight, using the imported waypoints (air fields mostly), at the airfiled (on the mobile device), I defined a route consisting of my departure field, onroute waypoints to make legs, and finally a destination field. Ozi than shows the route line (waypoints connected), tells me the total distance and leg distances, and allows me to navigate that route providing speed, altitude, bearing, eta, etc.

So i'm now trying to replicate this on Oruxmaps. I've already uploaded my map (great desktop conversion app by the way) and imported my fileds waypoints file. I go to menu->waypoints and add them to a route. Now my doubts:
- Oruxmaps don't show me the route segments connecting all the waypoints in this in-app created route (but if i create the route outside and load it on Oruxmaps, it shows up)
- I haven't found a way yet to see the total and leg distances for in-app created routes (i need this for my fuel calculations)
- I can navigate the waypoints (a red line shows up connecting my position to the next waypoint). When reaching the waypoint it automatically jumps for the next one. I also can manually point to the next one. What i would like here was to be able to change the color of the red line (the roads on my map are red) and be able to go to previous waypoint just like i can for the next one
- I can't figure out how "follow route" works. I activate it and it looks like nothing happens

Finally, keep the good work Smile And if you need an pilot perspective while using Oruxmaps, feel free to ask.

Regards,

Ricardo

rjbsilva

Cantidad de envíos : 6

Back to top Go down

From Ozi (Windows Mobile) to OruxMaps (Android) Empty Re: From Ozi (Windows Mobile) to OruxMaps (Android)

Post  orux Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:04 pm

rjbsilva wrote:Hi,

As the title suggests, I've been a Ozi user for the past years in my windows mobile device. Recently i decided to get an android phone and immediately started looking for something similar on android's universe. I easily found Oruxmaps and concluded it was the best offer out there to use offline maps.

I have some doubts and suggestions regarding the app, but first let me tell how i used Ozi and how i need to use Oruxmaps.

In my free time i fly an ultralight here in Portugal. I follow the visual rules (VFR) and use this kind of mapping applications to help me navigating the country. The offline maps i use are roadmaps, because up there, roads are a great landmark to follow Smile Of course I always bring along with me the traditional aviation paper chart where i have all the aeronautical information i need (and for the cause gps battery run out). Both complement just great.

So, in Ozi, every time i went for a flight, using the imported waypoints (air fields mostly), at the airfiled (on the mobile device), I defined a route consisting of my departure field, onroute waypoints to make legs, and finally a destination field. Ozi than shows the route line (waypoints connected), tells me the total distance and leg distances, and allows me to navigate that route providing speed, altitude, bearing, eta, etc.

So i'm now trying to replicate this on Oruxmaps. I've already uploaded my map (great desktop conversion app by the way) and imported my fileds waypoints file. I go to menu->waypoints and add them to a route. Now my doubts:
- Oruxmaps don't show me the route segments connecting all the waypoints in this in-app created route (but if i create the route outside and load it on Oruxmaps, it shows up)

Hi, Ricardo;

Thanks for your comments:

If you want to create a route (with a line between wpts):

--go to wpts list
--select 1st wpt, remove from list, select 2sd wpt, remove from list,....
--menu--filter--'invert selection' now you should see your set of wpts.
--menu--load as a route. now you have a route in your map viewer.

I will improve this way of creating a route later.

rjbsilva wrote:
- I haven't found a way yet to see the total and leg distances for in-app created routes (i need this for my fuel calculations)

If you have a route in the map viewer, you can see totals using statistics button.

but not each leg distances.

rjbsilva wrote:
- I can navigate the waypoints (a red line shows up connecting my position to the next waypoint). When reaching the waypoint it automatically jumps for the next one. I also can manually point to the next one. What i would like here was to be able to change the color of the red line (the roads on my map are red) and be able to go to previous waypoint just like i can for the next one

You can use different colors for tracks and routes: settings--user interface.

rjbsilva wrote:
- I can't figure out how "follow route" works. I activate it and it looks like nothing happens

I think that you need 'wpt navigation' mode.

If you use this mode, you will see (if added to the dashboard) distance to next wpt, ete, bearing,.... see attached picture.
From Ozi (Windows Mobile) to OruxMaps (Android) Devicep

I will add some of your suggestion in future versions,

thanks,

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

From Ozi (Windows Mobile) to OruxMaps (Android) Empty Re: From Ozi (Windows Mobile) to OruxMaps (Android)

Post  rjbsilva Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:37 am

Hi orux,

Thanks for your reply.

orux wrote:If you want to create a route (with a line between wpts):
--go to wpts list
--select 1st wpt, remove from list, select 2sd wpt, remove from list,....
--menu--filter--'invert selection' now you should see your set of wpts.
--menu--load as a route. now you have a route in your map viewer.
I will improve this way of creating a route later.
I'll try that.

orux wrote:
rjbsilva wrote:

You can use different colors for tracks and routes: settings--user interface.

I found that setting and i can change the route and tracks color. What i'm trying to change it's the bearing's line connecting my postion to the next waypoint. Just like the red line that show up on the picture you posted above. It's that line that i would also like to change color.

Regards,

RS

rjbsilva

Back to top Go down

Post  rjbsilva Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 am

orux wrote:What i'm trying to change it's the bearing's line connecting my postion to the next waypoint. Just like the red line that show up on the picture you posted above. It's that line that i would also like to change color.

Hi orux,

It's been a while since i stopped by here at the forum. But I've been a very happy oruxmaps user in my ultralight flights Smile

I would like to ask you if it's possible to have bearing line color on settings (last message above). The map I use have roads in red and the red bearing line sometimes blends with them. I would love to change it to another color.

And now to requests/suggestions/ideas. I use a lot the live tracking through mapmytracks and sometimes I share on my facebook the mapmytracks live link (it's always the same). I have to make it manually because mapmytracks don't integrate with FB. Would it be possible to have oruxmaps post to FB the mapmytracks live link when live tracking was started?

Now, something for added safety while flying (i think this could be useful in other activities). A panic button or panic procedure (like tapping 3 times on screen or something). When activated, oruxmaps would stop everything and start navigation to nearest waypoint and initiate live tracking. In my case i see this being helpful if on a emergency I need to find the nearest airport. The live tracking could also be vital if i don't reach the airport and someone needs to know my last know position.

Keep the great work. Just came to mind that i'm still missing the donation. I'll do that asap Smile

Ricardo Silva

rjbsilva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down