OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Screen problem during hudge maps database creation

2 posters

Go down

Screen problem during hudge maps database creation Empty Screen problem during hudge maps database creation

Post  dodfr Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi,

I noticed that if I let screen turn off during creation of database for a hudge /maps/ then it's not possible to bring screen on again until it finished databse creation, all system seems to be frozen except that if I push the power button then I see the button leds of my Desire S turn on and off if I push the power button again, but screen will never go back until end of the operation.

First time it happened I thought OruxMaps crashed the system and I removed the battery, but now I know I only have to wait and press the power button time to time to detect when database creation is done when screen will turn on again.

regards.

dodfr

Cantidad de envíos : 30

Back to top Go down

Screen problem during hudge maps database creation Empty Re: Screen problem during hudge maps database creation

Post  orux Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:57 am

dodfr wrote:Hi,

I noticed that if I let screen turn off during creation of database for a hudge /maps/ then it's not possible to bring screen on again until it finished databse creation, all system seems to be frozen except that if I push the power button then I see the button leds of my Desire S turn on and off if I push the power button again, but screen will never go back until end of the operation.

First time it happened I thought OruxMaps crashed the system and I removed the battery, but now I know I only have to wait and press the power button time to time to detect when database creation is done when screen will turn on again.

regards.

Hi, dodfr;

Sure 100% it is not an OruxMaps problem.

An application can not lock android system.

You should be able to see Main android screen if you turn off/on the device.

I will investigate a bit.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Screen problem during hudge maps database creation Empty Re: Screen problem during hudge maps database creation

Post  dodfr Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:20 am

I think there is some inter-action between the "modal" message that tell it is building the database and the screensaver or screen on/off message binding.

The power button that should bring screen on only make the digital buttons on, not the screen itself.

dodfr

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:26 am

dodfr wrote:I think there is some inter-action between the "modal" message that tell it is building the database and the screensaver or screen on/off message binding.

The power button that should bring screen on only make the digital buttons on, not the screen itself.

Hi;

With small maps seems to work fine in my Nexus.

When you talk about large maps; how large were they? How much time did you waited till try to start again the device?

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  dodfr Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:41 am

I have about 500 tiles 4000*4000 pixels each, for which OruxMapsDesktop created about 4GB of sqlite database files (one per tile).

Database creation take about 4 minutes on my HTC Desire S (SDCARD 16BG class 6).

dodfr

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:58 am

dodfr wrote:I have about 500 tiles 4000*4000 pixels each, for which OruxMapsDesktop created about 4GB of sqlite database files (one per tile).

Database creation take about 4 minutes on my HTC Desire S (SDCARD 16BG class 6).

Hi, dodfr;

For OruxMaps a 'map' is a set of 'layers' (one layer per zoom level) and each layer is a set of 'tiles'. All the tiles have 256x256 or 512x512 pixels.

If I understand right: 500 tiles per map (15-20 Mb aprox each map). Using OruxMaps (not OruxMapsDesktop) to create the maps (the problem is with OruxMaps when creating maps, right?). 4 minutes per map. Those are not really large maps. I am testing with my Nexus, but I can turn off/on the device without problems.

your device android version?

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  dodfr Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:09 pm

HTC Desire S 2.3.3

Here is what I did :

- Converted all my 500 .BMP + .CAL tiles into oruxmaps SQLite using OruxMapsDesktop, that created one folder per "tile" that is finally considered as a "map" for orux.
- Transfered the folders into oruxmap sdcard maps folder.

Then when I start OruxMaps for the first time it will need 4 minutes to create some map database.

dodfr

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:41 pm

dodfr wrote:HTC Desire S 2.3.3

Here is what I did :

- Converted all my 500 .BMP + .CAL tiles into oruxmaps SQLite using OruxMapsDesktop, one folder per tile (may be it's better to put them all into same folder ?)
- Transfered the 500 folders into oruxmap sdcard maps folder.

Then when I start OruxMaps for the first time it will need 4 minutes to create some map database.

Ahhhh!

Ok, I understand now.

There is something wrong with some of your maps.

It will take some time first time you start OruxMaps (OruxMaps has to index all the maps you copy in the maps folder). But next time not. But if there is one or more maps corrupted, OruxMaps has to reset internal database each time you start OruxMaps.

What you have to do:

1.-DO NOT change the name of the each map folder (or copy the .otrk2.xml and .db file inside another folder). An OruxMaps map is a folder, with the two files inside.
2.-Create some folders (6 or Cool inside your oruxmaps/mapfiles/ directory. It is better to have the maps organised in folders (by region, province,...) and disable the folders you do not need (long press over the folder in OruxMaps map selector screen). If you have 500 maps active in mapfiles/ folder, OruxMaps needs to do a lot of work to search next maps.
3.-Copy your maps from your PC to the sdcard map folders step by step, by groups of maps. Let OruxMaps to restart the internal maps database. If you do not see any of the maps that you have copied into mapfiles folder in the map selector view, this map is not well created, remove this map folder (and create it again). Disable this folder, repeat step 3 again.

orux

orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  dodfr Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:48 pm

OruxMaps only took a long time to start the very first time I copied the maps into the sdcard, but after this first index, each time I start oruxmaps it's only 2 seconds of "maps database checking" so there is no problem.

Orux recreated the database when I first extracted battery from smartphone when I thought system froze.

It also recreate the full index when I go to maps option and then click on offline maps reload button.

But when I refresh the offline maps then again if screensaver activates I cannot turn it on again until refesh is done.

Last edited by dodfr on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

dodfr

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:52 pm

dodfr wrote:OruxMaps only did a long time to start the very first time I copied the maps into the sdcard, but after this first index, each time I start oruxmaps it's only 2 seconds of "maps database checking" so there is no problem.

Orux recreated the database when I first extracted battery from smartphone when I thought system froze.

It also recreate the full index when I go to maps option and then click on offline maps reload button.

Ok, perfect.

But I recommend you to organise your maps into 4-5 folders, inside /mapfiles/ directory. And disable the maps you do not use normally. All will work seamless with a reduced set of maps active.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  dodfr Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:55 pm

OK, I can reorganize into the 8 regions the 500 maps are covering.

dodfr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down