OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voice navigation using gpx file from Google Maps

4 posters

Go down

Voice navigation using gpx file from Google Maps Empty Voice navigation using gpx file from Google Maps

Post  atzi Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi!
I have used OruxMaps over a year now and it's great, but it would be even greater if it cound do voice navigation. Specially voice navigation using custom routes. I know it sound a complicated but have a fairly simple way to do that(with your help ofcourse).
I use OruxMaps when I am biking. First I create a route using google maps then save it to phone and open it up in OruxMaps. But it would be easier to follow it if I wouldn't have to check when I have to turn. I found a script (link) that turn google's driving instructions to gpx. Here is a small snippet one of my files:

Code:

<trkpt lat="62.32172" lon="27.86144"><cmt>Turn left onto Linjurikatu</cmt></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.32146" lon="27.86207"></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.32043" lon="27.86466"><cmt>Take the 1st left onto Kuoppakankaankatu</cmt></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.321" lon="27.86573"><cmt>Turn right onto Osmajoentie</cmt></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.3202" lon="27.86766"></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.32001" lon="27.86808"></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.31979" lon="27.86846"></trkpt>
In this file in additon of normal trackpoint there are comments which tell me when I have to turn.(it is also possiple to have different style in the gpx file) I would want OruxMaps to notify me example 50 meters before the actual track point but only if I am coming from correct direction and notify in correct order (note situations when start place is near finish), but also skip directions if decide to go a little different route . It would be awesome if OruxMaps could play the directions(comments) using text-to-speech module.

I have found an app that uses openstreetmaps but in my area the coverage of the maps is not very good. But in my way it would be able to create voice navigated routes even with customized comments!

I would like to hear orux's comments could this be possible Suspect and also comments from other OruxMaps users would you like to have this kind of feature.

atzi

Cantidad de envíos : 6

Back to top Go down

Voice navigation using gpx file from Google Maps Empty Re: Voice navigation using gpx file from Google Maps

Post  orux Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:18 pm

atzi wrote:Hi!
I have used OruxMaps over a year now and it's great, but it would be even greater if it cound do voice navigation. Specially voice navigation using custom routes. I know it sound a complicated but have a fairly simple way to do that(with your help ofcourse).
I use OruxMaps when I am biking. First I create a route using google maps then save it to phone and open it up in OruxMaps. But it would be easier to follow it if I wouldn't have to check when I have to turn. I found a script (link) that turn google's driving instructions to gpx. Here is a small snippet one of my files:

Code:

<trkpt lat="62.32172" lon="27.86144"><cmt>Turn left onto Linjurikatu</cmt></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.32146" lon="27.86207"></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.32043" lon="27.86466"><cmt>Take the 1st left onto Kuoppakankaankatu</cmt></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.321" lon="27.86573"><cmt>Turn right onto Osmajoentie</cmt></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.3202" lon="27.86766"></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.32001" lon="27.86808"></trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="62.31979" lon="27.86846"></trkpt>
In this file in additon of normal trackpoint there are comments which tell me when I have to turn.(it is also possiple to have different style in the gpx file) I would want OruxMaps to notify me example 50 meters before the actual track point but only if I am coming from correct direction and notify in correct order (note situations when start place is near finish), but also skip directions if decide to go a little different route . It would be awesome if OruxMaps could play the directions(comments) using text-to-speech module.

I have found an app that uses openstreetmaps but in my area the coverage of the maps is not very good. But in my way it would be able to create voice navigated routes even with customized comments!

I would like to hear orux's comments could this be possible Suspect and also comments from other OruxMaps users would you like to have this kind of feature.

Hi, atzi;

Time to work with voices. I think it may be a good way to add directions on the tracks.

Give me 2-3 days to finish with current work.

orux

orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Voice navigation using gpx file from Google Maps Empty Re: Voice navigation using gpx file from Google Maps

Post  muhnba Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Hi,

does voice navigation work with oruxmaps?

I downloaded the app and tried to import an kml track I exported from google maps but it does not work.
First of all the track does not seem to be correct (it should be a route along a street, but it only shows two waypoints I created in google maps). Do I have to use gpx or why won't it work?

And if tracks would work, does your app support voice navigation? Couldn't find anything.

Thank you for this otherwise amazing work!

muhnba

Cantidad de envíos : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  TopBiker Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:10 pm

atzi wrote:
I use OruxMaps when I am biking. First I create a route using google maps then save it to phone and open it up in OruxMaps. But it would be easier to follow it if I wouldn't have to check when I have to turn. I found a script (link) that turn google's driving instructions to gpx.

I like this option! But the thing is that you have to rely on the intelligence of this script, you need internet connection (keep in mind the expensive roaming costs Crying or Very sad ) Sad and it sounds complex to realize. Therefore I would prefer my solution here Wink .

Your argument might now be that your solution is more comfortable for the user. But when you navigate in an unknown area its very often necessary to know at least the names of the villages you pass. So scrolling one time through the route is needed in most cases anyway. Then my solution wouldn't be much extra work.

Maybe both features might be realized some time?

TopBiker

Cantidad de envíos : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  atzi Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:09 pm

TopBiker wrote:
atzi wrote:
I use OruxMaps when I am biking. First I create a route using google maps then save it to phone and open it up in OruxMaps. But it would be easier to follow it if I wouldn't have to check when I have to turn. I found a script (link) that turn google's driving instructions to gpx.

I like this option! But the thing is that you have to rely on the intelligence of this script, you need internet connection (keep in mind the expensive roaming costs Crying or Very sad ) Sad and it sounds complex to realize. Therefore I would prefer my solution here Wink .

Your argument might now be that your solution is more comfortable for the user. But when you navigate in an unknown area its very often necessary to know at least the names of the villages you pass. So scrolling one time through the route is needed in most cases anyway. Then my solution wouldn't be much extra work.

Maybe both features might be realized some time?
Nice to see that others are instrested in this kind of feature too. Maybe you didn't understand my idea fully, because it is same idea as yours. I just thought that one could use Google Maps to create gpx file that would have the navigation instructions and OruxMaps would read that file and use example text-to-speech to read them aloud near the wpt coordinates. No internet connection needed. Ofcourse it could be improved with some better script that would check that you are coming from right direction, etc...

I noticed that orux had added wpts with voice message in newest beta. I have not had time test it yet. Would be nice hear if others have used this feature to do voice navigation.

atzi

Back to top Go down

Post  TopBiker Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:20 pm

atzi wrote:
Nice to see that others are instrested in this kind of feature too. Maybe you didn't understand my idea fully, because it is same idea as yours. I just thought that one could use Google Maps to create gpx file that would have the navigation instructions and OruxMaps would read that file and use example text-to-speech to read them aloud near the wpt coordinates. No internet connection needed. Ofcourse it could be improved with some better script that would check that you are coming from right direction, etc...

I think I understand your concept. The thing is, you need a web connection to create the gpx file. So one is not flexible when on the road in another country. No internet, no new route pale . But both solutions together would of course be best cheers .

atzi wrote:
I noticed that orux had added wpts with voice message in newest beta. I have not had time test it yet. Would be nice hear if others have used this feature to do voice navigation.

Which beta do you mean? 5.0beta16? I would like to test it, but it is not in the description of 16 Shocked. Can you assign different voice messages to different waypoints?

TopBiker

Cantidad de envíos : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  atzi Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:53 pm

TopBiker wrote:

I think I understand your concept. The thing is, you need a web connection to create the gpx file. So one is not flexible when on the road in another country. No internet, no new route pale . But both solutions together would of course be best cheers .
Yes , you are right. There is allready way to add waypoints from file and directly from the app, so it is just navigation we need.
TopBiker wrote:

Which beta do you mean? 5.0beta16? I would like to test it, but it is not in the description of 16 Shocked. Can you assign different voice messages to different waypoints?
Yes, 5.0b16. This is what I meant. Haven't tested it thought.

-> Wpt types with voice message. You can add the type and message in the file customwpts.txt like this:
type -> continue
icon -> continue.png
voice msg -> Continue straight
add this line at the end of customwpts.txt file in OruxMaps / customwpts / folder:
continue|Continue straight

atzi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down