OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tracklogging quits on me

2 posters

Go down

Tracklogging quits on me Empty Tracklogging quits on me

Post  mistrix Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:47 pm

First off, I'm pretty new to OruxMaps, but after some playing around really love the UI, the ANT+ connectivity and especially the offline maps capabilities.

But, on most of the initial "real" tests, the app more or less failed on me. I'm using a rooted, firewalled and adblocked xperia Active (debloated stock Gingerbread 2.3.4) with latest market version (4.6.3/market says 5.6.3?) and the topical ANT+ patch from the market.

1. Running: tracklogging had only about 4,7k/24mins of around 13k, while Endomondo in parallel neatly logged the full track. When I restarted the phone after the run, Oruxmaps said something like "state is beeing reestablished", but logging was off. Logging has stopped in mixed territory; may have been bad GPS reception (not on Endemondo though...)
  2. Cycling: tracklogging had only about 12k/30mins of way more; log stopped on open territory. Mortplayer was running in parallel, reading an audiobook. On check after 1hrs logging was already off (message as above) but later an annoying box like "switch off logging before leaving the map view" started showing although Oruxmaps was shut down since long already. Had that message on all screens and apps until I rebooted.
  3. Test: went shopping with logging and heart rate logging enabled (Garmin ANT+ strap). 2k to the shop, continuous messages like "bluetooth device connected"/"device disconnected" (strap may not have sent proper signals already). Checked again after about 40 minutes indoors (shop), logging was no longer displayed (missing circle), had to be restarted via "start HRM..." No question like "new segment, continue..." but later on one single complete tracklog (even indoors), but having heartrates only after restarting (?) the log.
  4. Car use: on external power, device set to keep display on. Tracklogging ok, but Oruxmaps kept falling back to dimmed display, although configured to stay bright.

Latest setting on logging 2s/20m/100m. All logs whre started from mapforge offline vector map.
Is there something like auto-pause enabled? What would trigger that?
Is it possible to enable kind of debug log to learn about what may have triggered quitting?

Any hints appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by mistrix on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected spelling)

mistrix

Cantidad de envíos : 6

Back to top Go down

Tracklogging quits on me Empty Re: Tracklogging quits on me

Post  orux Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:02 pm

mistrix wrote:First off, I'm pretty new to OruxMaps, but after some playing around really love the UI, the ANT+ connectivity and especially the offline maps capabilities.

But, on most of the initial "real" tests, the app more or less failed on me. I'm using a rooted, firewalled and adblocked xperia Active (debloated stock Gingerbread 2.3.4) with latest market version (4.6.3/market says 5.6.3?) and the topical ANT+ patch from the market.

1. Running: tracklogging had only about 4,7k/24mins of around 13k, while Endomondo in parallel neatly logged the full track. When I restarted the phone after the run, Oruxmaps said something like "state is beeing reestablished", but logging was off. Logging has stopped in mixed territory; may have been bad GPS reception (not on Endemondo though...)
  2. Cycling: tracklogging had only about 12k/30mins of way more; log stopped on open territory. Mortplayer was running in parallel, reading an audiobook. On check after 1hrs logging was already off (message as above) but later an annoying box like "switch off logging before leaving the map view" started showing although Oruxmaps was shut down since long already. Had that message on all screens and apps until I rebooted.
  3. Test: went shopping with logging and heart rate logging enabled (Garmin ANT+ strap). 2k to the shop, continuous messages like "bluetooth device connected"/"device disconnected" (strap may not have sent proper signals already). Checked again after about 40 minutes indoors (shop), logging was no longer displayed (missing circle), had to be restarted via "start HRM..." No question like "new segment, continue..." but later on one single complete tracklog (even indoors), but having heartrates only after restarting (?) the log.
  4. Car use: on external power, device set to keep display on. Tracklogging ok, but Oruxmaps kept falling back to dimmed display, although configured to stay bright.

Latest setting on logging 2s/20m/100m. All logs whre started from mapforge offline vector map.
Is there something like auto-pause enabled? What would trigger that?
Is it possible to enable kind of debug log to learn about what may have triggered quitting?

Any hints appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks, mistrix.

I think you helped me find a bug difficult to locate.

Is it possible that, when you start recording the track, you turn off the screen and not come back on until the end?

Tomorrow or past tomorrow I will have a new beta with interesting things, which should resolve this bug. You can suscribe to newsletter here-->http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs

Meanwhile, a possible solution:
1.-When you turn off the screen, let OruxMaps in the foreground.
2.-After about 2-4 minutes to start recording the track, take a look at OruxMaps.

Remember there are two types of 'screen always on', full brightness or dimmed. (Configuration--application)

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  mistrix Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:23 pm

orux wrote:I think you helped me find a bug difficult to locate.
Good, although I thought, it was all my lack of understanding...

orux wrote:
Is it possible that, when you start recording the track, you turn off the screen and not come back on until the end?
Already did that today. Upon restarting the phone, the message "reestablishing state" was there, but everything was fine!

orux wrote:2.-After about 2-4 minutes to start recording the track, take a look at OruxMaps.
Hmmm, and then what?
I've enabled the LED to get an idea weather logging is active. Several times there where some long seconds, that made me think it had stopped, but then it always came back blinking Surprised

orux wrote:Tomorrow or past tomorrow I will have a new beta with interesting things, which should resolve this bug. You can suscribe to newsletter here-->http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs
Done.
Looking forward to testing the new version of this great app!

Thanks

mistrix

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:39 pm

mistrix wrote:
orux wrote:I think you helped me find a bug difficult to locate.
Good, although I thought, it was all my lack of understanding...

orux wrote:
Already did that today. Upon restarting the phone, the message "reestablishing state" was there, but everything was fine!

Hi,

It is not normal that android kills the activity that is in foreground. Because of that you see this message. OruxMaps uses a background service that continues to record the track.

mistrix wrote:
orux wrote:2.-After about 2-4 minutes to start recording the track, take a look at OruxMaps.
Hmmm, and then what?
I've enabled the LED to get an idea weather logging is active. Several times there where some long seconds, that made me think it had stopped, but then it always came back blinking Surprised

Nothing more, when opening and closing OruxMaps after 3-4 minutes you will force it to record a parameter that should prevent the loss of the track (the service stops running in the background).

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  mistrix Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:44 pm

orux wrote:Nothing more, when opening and closing OruxMaps after 3-4 minutes you will force it to record a parameter that should prevent the loss of the track (the service stops running in the background).
Ok, will try and report back; either tomorrow or latest on the occasion of my next run on Tuesday.
But -for sports- I would think, we all might be better off, if you could make it work without that requirement.

Thanks

mistrix

Back to top Go down

Post  mistrix Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Made 2 trials today, first off trying to reproduce the misbehaviour. But I was not able to...

Started a log on my way to work, with Oruxmaps in the foreground when I switched off the phone. All fine.

Started a log on my way back home, with Endomondo started after Oruxmaps and left in the foreground (probably like on first bad trial), still everything ok.

I think, on the first bad attempts the settings were on 0 sec (default?) w/o LED indication, now they are on 4 sec w/ LED. Is it possible, that either the regular time check and/or the regularly blinking LED serves as kind of a "keep alive signal", to hinder the OS from killing the app?

One more observation:
With settings of 4 seconds, 20 meters dislocation and 50 meters accuracy, upon every log start, the app keeps telling me:
Code:
Logging!
Autosegment:
Time (minutes):20
Distance (km): 0.0

What is that supposed to tell me?

BTW: How are these settings related to each other, log if n seconds have passed AND m meters been made AND the accuracy is better than, or log if n seconds have passed OR m meters have been made AND the accuracy is better than?

At least, everything perfectly worked out today!

mistrix

Back to top Go down

Post  mistrix Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Correction.

Compared to the parallel Endemondo log, approx. 5k are missing from the second log (40 something k). It shows an obvious gap in the middle, but that does not cover for all the missing distance, but only for about 1.5 kk...

Sorry.

mistrix

Back to top Go down

Post  mistrix Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi,
followed your recommendation today; Oruxmaps in the foreground @phone off, check after 4...5mins. At least 3 gaps totalling to about 1.5k missing for 12k.
Tracklogging quits on me Screenshot201112132226

Tracklogging quits on me Screenshot201112132224c

mistrix

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 pm

mistrix wrote:
orux wrote:Nothing more, when opening and closing OruxMaps after 3-4 minutes you will force it to record a parameter that should prevent the loss of the track (the service stops running in the background).
Ok, will try and report back; either tomorrow or latest on the occasion of my next run on Tuesday.
But -for sports- I would think, we all might be better off, if you could make it work without that requirement.

Thanks

Yes,

it is a 'meanwhile' solution.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:21 pm

mistrix wrote:Made 2 trials today, first off trying to reproduce the misbehaviour. But I was not able to...

Started a log on my way to work, with Oruxmaps in the foreground when I switched off the phone. All fine.

Started a log on my way back home, with Endomondo started after Oruxmaps and left in the foreground (probably like on first bad trial), still everything ok.

I think, on the first bad attempts the settings were on 0 sec (default?) w/o LED indication, now they are on 4 sec w/ LED. Is it possible, that either the regular time check and/or the regularly blinking LED serves as kind of a "keep alive signal", to hinder the OS from killing the app?

One more observation:
With settings of 4 seconds, 20 meters dislocation and 50 meters accuracy, upon every log start, the app keeps telling me:
Code:
Logging!
Autosegment:
Time (minutes):20
Distance (km): 0.0

What is that supposed to tell me?

BTW: How are these settings related to each other, log if n seconds have passed AND m meters been made AND the accuracy is better than, or log if n seconds have passed OR m meters have been made AND the accuracy is better than?

At least, everything perfectly worked out today!

Hi,

you are playing with 'autosegment' settings, in 'settings'--'tracks'. Set autosegment to 'zero' in both time and distance autosegment.

-->'log if n seconds have passed AND m meters been made AND the accuracy is better than'

orux

orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:25 pm

mistrix wrote:Hi,
followed your recommendation today; Oruxmaps in the foreground @phone off, check after 4...5mins. At least 3 gaps totalling to about 1.5k missing for 12k.
Tracklogging quits on me Screenshot201112132226

Tracklogging quits on me Screenshot201112132224c

I think it is related to 'autosegment' settings.

I have a new beta, are you subscribed to the newsletter here? -->
http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs

email me--> oruxuro@gmail.com

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down