OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen

4 posters

Go down

OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen  Empty OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen

Post  gp745 Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:30 am

I was wondering how people feel about using OruxMaps on newest phones with bigger, high resolution screens. I somehow find it inconvenient to use my old maps from G1 (320×480) on my new S3 (1,280 x 720) phone.
Before I would download a map for offline use, just the layers 10-16 and would feel quite comfortable with using those maps for navigation. But now I need to download layers 17-18 when they are available to be able to read the labels/text on the map without extra efforts. Yes, I know that even if I have only the layer 16 I can zoom it out but it's kind of inconvenient. For comparison sake I am attaching 2 screenshots showing the same map on both devices:
G1:
OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen  Img3484u

S3:
OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen  Img3485x

So, what is the best advice in this case? Just redownload the maps and include more layers (like 17-18) to make the text readable?

Thanks!

gp745

Cantidad de envíos : 10

Back to top Go down

OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen  Empty Re: OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen

Post  yip Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 am

Assuming those are vector based maps, like googlemaps/OSM, By downloading additonal layers, you have no guarantee that the label's font size will be bigger.
I don't understand why it is bigger in layer 18 than in 16 silent
only map resolution should improve.

so I don't see a solution here except for the zoom-in with convenient physical keys... That's what I do. especially in bad weather or night, it's handy to zoom in quickly.

Maybe this could be a new feature, an option that will set the "default digital zoom" level, instead of 100%, it would be adjustable, ie 150% for all maps of all layers.

yip

Cantidad de envíos : 40

Back to top Go down

OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen  Empty Re: OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen

Post  orux Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 pm

yip wrote:Assuming those are vector based maps, like googlemaps/OSM, By downloading additonal layers, you have no guarantee that the label's font size will be bigger.
I don't understand why it is bigger in layer 18 than in 16 silent
only map resolution should improve.

so I don't see a solution here except for the zoom-in with convenient physical keys... That's what I do. especially in bad weather or night, it's handy to zoom in quickly.

Maybe this could be a new feature, an option that will set the "default digital zoom" level, instead of 100%, it would be adjustable, ie 150% for all maps of all layers.

Hi;

you can play with the size of the texts in mapsforge and garmin maps.

and you can set a +/- default digital zoom level in settings--maps--zoom settings--pre-zoom level.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Anton Bourbon Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 pm

orux wrote:and you can set a +/- default digital zoom level in settings--maps--zoom settings--pre-zoom level.
Orux, thank you for your reply as well as for your excellent application!
If I understood correctly, what you called "pre-zoom level" is actually called "Default zoom":

OruxMaps on a phone with HD screen  Oruxmaps.zoom.settings

Last edited by Anton Bourbon on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found out that 'pre-zoom' is actually 'Default zoom')

Anton Bourbon

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Anton Bourbon Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:14 pm

gp745 wrote:I was wondering how people feel about using OruxMaps on newest phones with bigger, high resolution screens. I somehow find it inconvenient to use my old maps from G1 (320×480) on my new S3 (1,280 x 720) phone.
So, what is the best advice in this case? Just redownload the maps and include more layers (like 17-18) to make the text readable?
gp745, I feel miserable with the same resolution (720x1280), in spite of the fact that my screen is bigger (Samsung Note 2, 5.5" vs. your 4.8"). Basically, I can't read a thing if I go. Only if I am completely still (not going by car/bus/on foot etc.) can I read the names of the streets, but even that is hard.

I understood what `digital zoom' is (had had no idea before bumping into this thread). Well, it's not the best but at least it allows me to read street names etc.

Anton Bourbon

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down