OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Very well done.

2 posters

Go down

Very well done. Empty Very well done.

Post  Psycogeek Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:31 pm

This application is very well done, thanks for taking the time to do such a well thought out map application.

now i should stop there :-) because the progression of development is great.
but i do have 3 things i would like to see.
1) simple waypoint without track, goto. so i can place a simple point visually on the map, and tell it to go to it. using 3.4.0 , and not knowing what i am doing, goto the waypoint didnt do anything?? a line to the point? aiming directions ? i donno. aparentally i have to do "routing" (with waypoints), which is more complex.

2) Black background dashboard, parts. as mentioned before seeing out in the sun is difficult, the dashboard style is big enough on high res screen, but it need to have pure contrast, by using BLACK as the background even colors can be applied to designate different items easily visually.

3) Averaging, i had ONE app (for CE) long ago that used some minor averaging, it keeps the screen from hopping around , and when using rotaing map screens it keeps them from bouncing about as much. as little as averging 2 sets of coords before using these coordinates can take the mess out of things.
usefull mostly for Walking, where small distances are effected much more by the inacurracy of the GPS reciever. especially on these cruddy GPS recievers.

My device is an archos, uses 800x400 type resolution 4.8" screen, and has no compass. I have little to no interest in the WEB aspects of a mapping program, because where i hike there is NO web (cept for sattalite web, and whos gonna be doing that)

again, the first priority of this post, is to acknowlege the awesome application.

Psycogeek

Cantidad de envíos : 53

Back to top Go down

Very well done. Empty Re: Very well done.

Post  orux Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:15 pm

Psycogeek wrote:This application is very well done, thanks for taking the time to do such a well thought out map application.

now i should stop there :-) because the progression of development is great.
but i do have 3 things i would like to see.
1) simple waypoint without track, goto. so i can place a simple point visually on the map, and tell it to go to it. using 3.4.0 , and not knowing what i am doing, goto the waypoint didnt do anything?? a line to the point? aiming directions ? i donno. aparentally i have to do "routing" (with waypoints), which is more complex.

2) Black background dashboard, parts. as mentioned before seeing out in the sun is difficult, the dashboard style is big enough on high res screen, but it need to have pure contrast, by using BLACK as the background even colors can be applied to designate different items easily visually.

3) Averaging, i had ONE app (for CE) long ago that used some minor averaging, it keeps the screen from hopping around , and when using rotaing map screens it keeps them from bouncing about as much. as little as averging 2 sets of coords before using these coordinates can take the mess out of things.
usefull mostly for Walking, where small distances are effected much more by the inacurracy of the GPS reciever. especially on these cruddy GPS recievers.

My device is an archos, uses 800x400 type resolution 4.8" screen, and has no compass. I have little to no interest in the WEB aspects of a mapping program, because where i hike there is NO web (cept for sattalite web, and whos gonna be doing that)

again, the first priority of this post, is to acknowlege the awesome application.

Hi; thanks.

Go to: moves the map to that position, but if the gps is active, returns to previous position. I am going to add a delay. And a 'navigate to' option with the new created wpts.

Averaging. OruxMaps does averaging with some gps data, altitude and slope, but not with coordinates. You can play with gps settings (minimal time/distance and precision) if you want few and more precise gps points.

orux

orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycogeek Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:35 am

well i improved my gps antenna on my device, and got much better results.

and i did figure out this:
GoTo is to show that waypoint on the map, the map shifts over to display that waypoint.

"Navigate to" , in Waypoints is how you "navigate to" a waypoint.
that engaged a track? , and my device balked for quite a while while doing whatever it was doing, then i got the Line, and the distance to and all that other stuff that i could use to navigate to that waypoint. after it got past whatever work it had to do, it worked great.

I have the restart tracking set to 30 seconds, and if i manually move the map, it is properly jumping back to my position in 30 seconds. which brings up how clicking to zoom can be kludgey because it will move the map. So i am more often using the zoom Icon items. and I am happy to use that method.

i am still adjusting each of the things until i understand them all.
i am sure it has all the adjustments i need , i just dont yet know what they all do.

setting from "power save" to "Default" and "Fast" for the tracking, did not seem to change anything?
using 3.4.2. on my device when it talks to the SDcard I can hear the data squeal, and the timing between writes never changed.
also the ammount of changes of map movement stayed at the 2 seconds i had it set for.
so i need to figure out better how to set the "tracking" parameters. I do want lots of points, but not every GPS read.

i am not sure how to use them, but one item i wanted to put in 0.01 miles , and it would not go below 1mile?
when walking i want a new "breadcrumb track point" to exist in the Range of:
for every 50-500 feet or .01-.1mi
for every 10 seconds - 3 minutes
or
for everytime the angle changes about 20* , and no points needed between
this can work even though with slow walking tracking the GPS can be OFF by 20* , but the extra points then are not a big deal
or
for every 10-1000 GPS reads , which would just be time based again.

for driving it would be completly different.

and i want to know if the track point (or is it segment?) adjustments are mutually exclusive or additive?
if i put in TIME, will it make a point at that time , AND at that distance
if i put in a distance , will it also put in a point at that time?

or for idiots like me , you just put this all in one requester, and after chaging stuff, it tells me a summary of what it is going to do in text at the bottom:-)

basically i just need a settings "Pattern", that would lay a track down behind me that roughly follows the trail i walked on, just for novelty of the track line being shown on the trail i walked down.
then
for real NEED tracking, and knowing where i was and where i am going, 1 mile and/or 10 minutes is completly sufficent.

I am using "Hide buttons" in 10 seconds, that works good for me.
I leave a "dashboard" up with speed and altitude and average speed (which as everyone knows works when laying a track only) that is all ok.
It was cool, that when in Full Screen, i could still get to everything, tweaks, settings ,and main, using the left mouse button, so i could even go home easily too (with this limited button device)
i am getting used to where things are in the tweaks and tools, but settings is still a huge long list, all settings that i LOVE to have, but that is a lot of stuff.

Psycogeek

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Psycogeek wrote:well i improved my gps antenna on my device, and got much better results.

and i did figure out this:
GoTo is to show that waypoint on the map, the map shifts over to display that waypoint.

"Navigate to" , in Waypoints is how you "navigate to" a waypoint.
that engaged a track? , and my device balked for quite a while while doing whatever it was doing, then i got the Line, and the distance to and all that other stuff that i could use to navigate to that waypoint. after it got past whatever work it had to do, it worked great.

I have the restart tracking set to 30 seconds, and if i manually move the map, it is properly jumping back to my position in 30 seconds. which brings up how clicking to zoom can be kludgey because it will move the map. So i am more often using the zoom Icon items. and I am happy to use that method.

i am still adjusting each of the things until i understand them all.
i am sure it has all the adjustments i need , i just dont yet know what they all do.

setting from "power save" to "Default" and "Fast" for the tracking, did not seem to change anything?
using 3.4.2. on my device when it talks to the SDcard I can hear the data squeal, and the timing between writes never changed.
also the ammount of changes of map movement stayed at the 2 seconds i had it set for.
so i need to figure out better how to set the "tracking" parameters. I do want lots of points, but not every GPS read.

i am not sure how to use them, but one item i wanted to put in 0.01 miles , and it would not go below 1mile?
when walking i want a new "breadcrumb track point" to exist in the Range of:
for every 50-500 feet or .01-.1mi
for every 10 seconds - 3 minutes
or
for everytime the angle changes about 20* , and no points needed between
this can work even though with slow walking tracking the GPS can be OFF by 20* , but the extra points then are not a big deal
or
for every 10-1000 GPS reads , which would just be time based again.

for driving it would be completly different.

and i want to know if the track point (or is it segment?) adjustments are mutually exclusive or additive?
if i put in TIME, will it make a point at that time , AND at that distance
if i put in a distance , will it also put in a point at that time?

or for idiots like me , you just put this all in one requester, and after chaging stuff, it tells me a summary of what it is going to do in text at the bottom:-)

basically i just need a settings "Pattern", that would lay a track down behind me that roughly follows the trail i walked on, just for novelty of the track line being shown on the trail i walked down.
then
for real NEED tracking, and knowing where i was and where i am going, 1 mile and/or 10 minutes is completly sufficent.

I am using "Hide buttons" in 10 seconds, that works good for me.
I leave a "dashboard" up with speed and altitude and average speed (which as everyone knows works when laying a track only) that is all ok.
It was cool, that when in Full Screen, i could still get to everything, tweaks, settings ,and main, using the left mouse button, so i could even go home easily too (with this limited button device)
i am getting used to where things are in the tweaks and tools, but settings is still a huge long list, all settings that i LOVE to have, but that is a lot of stuff.

Hi;

A track with 'default' value in gps settings (blue) and with 'power save' mode (red).

First mode needs more gps signals, and the gps is enabled more time.

Gps settings (minimal time, minimal distance). OruxMaps tries to store a track point when both parameters are ok. For example, if minimal distance=40 mts, and minimal time = 2 seconds; if you do not move, then no track points stored.

Very well done. Device11

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycogeek Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:38 am

Ok thanks, i will try that.

i did notice the Icons changed for the Default fast and normal modes, just the right size icons for indicator like that.
also showing that i was tracking to disk itself was very usefull, and perfect size icon, with the RED DOT showing that tracking to disk was on.

Last edited by Psycogeek on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

Psycogeek

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycogeek Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:02 pm

EDIT

OruxMaps tries to store a track point when both parameters are ok. For example, if minimal distance=40 mts, and minimal time = 2 seconds; if you do not move, then no track points stored.

ok i think i understand this. using 3.4versions
In SETTINGS - GPS settings
3 parameters for disk tracking based on the GPS info it gets:
Minimal Time - default to 2 seconds, this much time will pass between tracking movement.
Minimal Distance - GPS position Must have moved this far before track coord is stored
Accuracy for postition fix - GPS must be within this level of accuracy or it is basically ignored

all 3 of these parameters must be met , or it doesnt store to the track
there is a Min Time between "saves", you had to move the Min Distance at least, and the GPS has to be providing some level of Min Accuracy.

so this isnt just "GPS settings", it is "track settings" themselves?

i thought these were the map movement settings, not the track savings settings.
so the map always moves at the 1 sec rate? , having this also adjustable, which i do not NEED, would also save "power" sometimes more than reduce writes.

Last edited by Psycogeek on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:26 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Completly rewritten because it was completly wrong.)

Psycogeek

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Psycogeek wrote:EDIT

OruxMaps tries to store a track point when both parameters are ok. For example, if minimal distance=40 mts, and minimal time = 2 seconds; if you do not move, then no track points stored.

ok i think i understand this. using 3.4versions
In SETTINGS - GPS settings
3 parameters for disk tracking based on the GPS info it gets:
Minimal Time - default to 2 seconds, this much time will pass between tracking movement.
Minimal Distance - GPS position Must have moved this far before track coord is stored
Accuracy for postition fix - GPS must be within this level of accuracy or it is basically ignored

all 3 of these parameters must be met , or it doesnt store to the track
there is a Min Time between "saves", you had to move the Min Distance at least, and the GPS has to be providing some level of Min Accuracy.

so this isnt just "GPS settings", it is "track settings" themselves?

i thought these were the map movement settings, not the track savings settings.
so the map always moves at the 1 sec rate? , having this also adjustable, which i do not NEED, would also save "power" sometimes more than reduce writes.

Hi;

Yes and no Smile

'Minimal time' is a gps setting, because android can disable the GPS chip, if this value is >1 second (more or less). In this way you can save a lot of power, for example, if this value is '2 minutes', the gps chip will be disabled 120 seconds aprox.

The map is moved each gps fix received from android platform. It can be each 1 second, 2, 4, 30, ... seconds.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycogeek Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks again.

Ok, it wouldnt do any good to stop the gps on my device , when it started again , it would take time to achieve a lock again, and the gps would take a long time to be accurate again. so that is where the accuracy item comes in really usefull. it is all making more sence.

my device can be 20second to 2 min to re-lock and get a good accuracy if GPS reciever is stopped.
I am using the app Trackerbooster to KEEP the GPS open and operating, as a constant, because it is (like many phones gps) a very poor reciever , and poor antenna, which even fixed turning it off, would just be a mess.
Because i was using this app to keep the gps running, that would have effected my test results.

Psycogeek

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycogeek Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:10 am

so today i allowed the gps to go on & off, and it was a terrible mess :-) as suspected.
probably good for external gps and bluetooth, where the GPS reciever itself would continue to track satalites, even if the bluetooth is not transferring data ? then by limiting the bluetooth transfer much power would be saved?

Psycogeek

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Psycogeek wrote:so today i allowed the gps to go on & off, and it was a terrible mess :-) as suspected.
probably good for external gps and bluetooth, where the GPS reciever itself would continue to track satalites, even if the bluetooth is not transferring data ? then by limiting the bluetooth transfer much power would be saved?

Hi;

No; good for all devices.

With my old htc dream, using x8 seconds, the life of the battery was x2 or x3. Idem with Nexus.

With x30 seconds, you can use your battery (in a lot of devices) > 1 day; this is important if you do not carry a extra battery.

There are devices with poor gps chips/implementations, because my two htc take 2-3 seconds tho reacquire gps signal after 30 seconds off.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum