OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Show Digital Elevation Data blended over current map

Go down

Show Digital Elevation Data blended over current map Empty Show Digital Elevation Data blended over current map

Post  Jarny Sun May 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi
There is free data available about terrain elevation at a resolution of 90x90m. It was collected by NASA Shuttle Radar Topographic Mission
Sometimes at my long mountainbike trips I want to know if there is a 'easy' way to a destination. 'Easy' means not much valleys and hills.
It would be a stunning feature if oruxmaps can visualize the elevation data and I can quickly recognize if a route is tiring or not.

First idea: give a selectable height range i.e (200m - 1000m) a color range (blue - red) and blend the resulting 'elevation image' over the normal map.

Another point: The elevation data can be used to get the current altitude. Sometimes the gps altitude value is not very accurate and the altitude from the elevation map is better.

What do you think about this? I know this is a feature which is not implemented easily.

Regards
Jarny

Jarny

Back to top Go down

Show Digital Elevation Data blended over current map Empty Re: Show Digital Elevation Data blended over current map

Post  lalelale Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:23 am

My opinion about blending elevation data on the current map is that it should not be done as the result would probably be very hard to understand.
There are widely-accepted ways to intuitively display elevation data in maps (hill shading and/or contour lines), which should be employed instead: probably the task is up to the renderer of the map, which could make sure that the resulting map is legible, rather than overlaying a data-rich layer over map. A simple solution is to use google terrain maps and switch from/to it. Also some OSM maps already feature hill shading/contour lines, such as opencyclemap.

Using elevation data to get the current altitude is probably a good idea (assuming you are not flying); I think GPSies already does it when you ask it to "fix" the elevation profile of an uploaded track (not sure though, maybe it's just filtering)

lalelale

Cantidad de envíos : 9

Back to top Go down