OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poll: which integrated track management service do you prefer, to upload your tracks?

+3
twoten
Uli
febs
7 posters

Go down

Poll: which integrated track management service do you prefer, to upload your tracks? Empty Poll: which integrated track management service do you prefer, to upload your tracks?

Post  febs Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Hello,

something I LOVE from Oruxmaps is the ability to upload the stuff to some site from the car, or the pub, when the trip is over. I used "everytrail", which I like, but I noticed Oruxmaps supports also

• GPSies
  • MapMyTracks
  • Trainingstagebuch

I never tried those, I could, but I'd like to hear from the community here, what do you use, and why do you prefer a choice over another?

Thanks!

Last edited by orux on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PostIt (orux))

febs

Cantidad de envíos : 139

Back to top Go down

Poll: which integrated track management service do you prefer, to upload your tracks? Empty Poll:

Post  Uli Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:22 pm

For me it is Mapmytracks.
I like it because it is easy to handle and is
easy to understand even for people who aren't
familiar with the system.
One can merge tracks, live tracking is possible and
uploads after a tour.
The leaderboard is certainly an additional fun.
Uli
Uli
Uli

Cantidad de envíos : 129

Back to top Go down

Poll: which integrated track management service do you prefer, to upload your tracks? Empty Re: Poll: which integrated track management service do you prefer, to upload your tracks?

Post  twoten Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:41 am

Hi,
This thread got me looking into track management websites so I compared Everytrail (ET) Mapmytracks (MMT) and Gpsies (GP), what I thought would be straight forward was more involved than anticipated so I thought I would post my finding here.
Hopefully i might be useful for others.

Comparison

Adding Tracks
This can done be very easily from Oruxmaps or a PC with all three systems. ET and GP impose an 8mb limit per track but unless your track is very long this shouldn’t present a problem. If your track exceeds the 8mb limit simplifying the track, can be done easily using either GpsBable or GPS Visualiser.

Live Tracking
MMT is the only system can do this with Oruxmaps. ET does have live tracking but this is not a feature utilised in Oruxmaps. GP doesn’t have this feature.

Editing Tracks
This can be done with both ET and GP but not MMT.
I find this feature very useful to correct a track for when you lose your GPS signal or take a phone call or forgotten to turn off tracking.

Maps
MMT and ET use Google - Maps, Satellite, Hybrid and Terrain.
MMT also has Google Earth and a novel ‘street view’ in Beta.
GP uses Mapquest, Mapquest Sat, Opencycle map, HikeBikeMap, OpenstreetMap and Esri, it also has a HikeBike Hills overlay, I prefer the maps available in GP as the Opencycle and HikeBike maps show more footpath detail, I also like the appearance of the HikeBIke Hills overlay.
ET and GP maps display about 30% larger than MMT , all three have the option to expand to full screen.

Photos
MMT does not support photos, video links can be added to the wall following a track but not associated with it.
ET and GP both support photo uploads and links as well as video links.
Everytrail has the advantage that the photos can be added geographically (it will attempt this automatically but can be over ridden) to the track and uploaded direct from the phone and diplay as a slideshow.
GP only accepts individual photo upload against ET’s multiple file upload.

Facebook
MMT and GP add a generic link to Facebook that opens the track in a different browser page.
ET places a thumbnail of the track that opens inside the facebook wall and plays the slideshow.
GP allows the creation of a separate facebook page and displays a map and list of all your tracks. These open in a separate browser page when clicked.

Statistics
Of the three websites Mapmytraks uses and displays the statistics to the best advantage giving numeric details and graphs when clicked on. Basic statistical information is shown in Everytrail when viewing a track but Gpsies is aimed more at displaying details for viewers looking for routes rather than displaying your track information.
Mapmytracks also has a feature that allows you to compare statistical information from 2 different tracks which would be useful for users when training.

Import to Oruxmaps
Oruxmaps can access you tracks/routes stored online with ET and download into the App.

Advertising
MMT’s advertising was minimal, only a small advert promoting MMT products. GP’s advertising was more pronounced .I felt ET’s advertising is more intrusive but has no advertising in the embedded Facebook .

Conclusion.

Ultimately it depends on what you are using your GPS tracks for.
Mapmytracks is suited for users that are looking for a way to record tracks and monitor/compare performance, ideal for a runner or cyclist that is training and useful for clubs and teams who are less likely to want to store images on route. The way it displays the statistical information is the better than the other alternatives.

Gpsies appears to be suited to people who wish to share routes, tracks are stored in a similar way to Everytrail but once uploaded the speed and track data is not available. Even if you set an average speed for the track it defaults to 10mph. It appears Gpsies is more suited to sharing routes with the Gpsies community rather than keeping a record of the finer points of you tracks. Gpsies has the more advanced search system of the three websites.

Everytrail is ideal for a user that likes to store records of all their tracks including photos and video if required and share with others whether via email link or with Facebook. It’s also possible to convert your track into a route with additional information and share it with the Everytrail community. It also uses a lot of the integrated features of Oruxmaps.

If you find I have made any errors or omissions, or there are any changes in the future of the above, please let me know and I will keep this updated.

twoten

Cantidad de envíos : 115

Back to top Go down

Poll: which integrated track management service do you prefer, to upload your tracks? Empty Poll:

Post  Uli Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 am

That is a great and usefull comparison.
There are certainly even more sites like RUNTASTIC.
But they have got all their advantages and disadvantages.
I stick to mapmytracks - mostly because I'm used to it after one year of use
and 8.500 km of data.
Thank you again.
Uli
Uli
Uli

Cantidad de envíos : 129

Back to top Go down

Poll: which integrated track management service do you prefer, to upload your tracks? Empty Re: Poll: which integrated track management service do you prefer, to upload your tracks?

Post  febs Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:38 pm

I ended up choosing GPSies for all of my tracks. It offers a feature that I could find only there: the ability to modify tracks online.
Quite often GPS units records inaccurate trackpoints that spoil the whole file.
Within GPSies I can easily delete those points, or move them to a more appropriate position. Very very nice.

Smile

Cheers!

febs

Cantidad de envíos : 139

Back to top Go down

Post  Mister_R Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:55 am

I use Mapmytracks (MMT) mainly because of live tracking hability.
I would say top3 are Wikiloc, GPSies, and everytrail.

Mister_R

Cantidad de envíos : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Federicos Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:43 pm

Gpsies.

Federicos

Cantidad de envíos : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  arjanpot Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:40 pm

GPSies because it allows me to plan and create a route. And because it looks pretty free for a long time, hope so.

arjanpot

Cantidad de envíos : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  valleyofdawn Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:32 pm

Gpsies.
Many maps, direct upload to OSM, trip planning, and many users in my area (Israel).

valleyofdawn

Cantidad de envíos : 23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down