OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Map Size and optimum settings

3 posters

Go down

Map Size and optimum settings Empty Map Size and optimum settings

Post  twoten Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:06 am

When creating a large map using Mobile Atlas creator is there a maximum map size I can use and what is the optimum way to configure Mobile Atlas Creator.

I see in another thread the instructions http://www.oruxmaps.com/oruxmapsdesktop_quick.pdf say 'Maximize the value of the maximum size of the map to create' but this was to prevent an error.

When creating large maps so far I do not get any errors and the map is created in multiple directories which this PDF says is wrong, so does this setting still apply?

If OruxMaps reads multiple directories and only loads the appropriate tiles when required does this mean that you can create maps of any size? Will it affect the performance of OruxMaps?

twoten

Cantidad de envíos : 115

Back to top Go down

Map Size and optimum settings Empty Re: Map Size and optimum settings

Post  orux Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:46 pm

twoten wrote:When creating a large map using Mobile Atlas creator is there a maximum map size I can use and what is the optimum way to configure Mobile Atlas Creator.

I see in another thread the instructions http://www.oruxmaps.com/oruxmapsdesktop_quick.pdf say 'Maximize the value of the maximum size of the map to create' but this was to prevent an error.

When creating large maps so far I do not get any errors and the map is created in multiple directories which this PDF says is wrong, so does this setting still apply?

Hi twoten;

Multiple directories per layer level, like: level 16 (01) and so on?
OruxMaps can not read those directories.

If you set map size to 1048575 then MOBAC should not create multiple layers per map unless you create a super-map, larger than 1048575x1048575 pixels (100gb?).

remember that you can not put a map bigger than 2gb in your fat32 sd, or a directory with more than 30.000 files, more or less.

There is no performance loss if you use big maps.

orux

orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  jna Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:11 am

Do I understand right:

Let's say I want to have a map of southern Germany in good resolution (maybe Zoom level 16 and 15).
I have several options:

1) to put the whole landscape (southern Germany) and both zoom levels in one map ("atlas")
2) I divde the landscape into an "eastern" and a "western" part and create two maps
3) I leave the landscape as it is, but create a map of each zoom level
4) I combine 2 and 3 and end up with four maps, one for each zoom level and each region.

with method 1 I have one big file, with method 2 and 3 I have two smaller files and with method 4 I have 4 small files.

Do I understand you right, that in terms of performance there is no influence, so method 1 has the same impact on performance on the Android as the other methods?
Of is it wise to divide the terrain (or the zoom levels)?

jna

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:07 pm

jna wrote:Do I understand right:

Let's say I want to have a map of southern Germany in good resolution (maybe Zoom level 16 and 15).
I have several options:

1) to put the whole landscape (southern Germany) and both zoom levels in one map ("atlas")
2) I divde the landscape into an "eastern" and a "western" part and create two maps
3) I leave the landscape as it is, but create a map of each zoom level
4) I combine 2 and 3 and end up with four maps, one for each zoom level and each region.

with method 1 I have one big file, with method 2 and 3 I have two smaller files and with method 4 I have 4 small files.

Do I understand you right, that in terms of performance there is no influence, so method 1 has the same impact on performance on the Android as the other methods?
Of is it wise to divide the terrain (or the zoom levels)?

Hi, jna;

You have a limit with fat32 (your sd card) maximum size file: 2gb.

best options, 1 & 2. With 3 or 4 OruxMaps has to search the next zoom layer among all other maps;

If you use sqlite format, the tiles are indexed inside the data base, then there is no much performance difference between 1 & 2.

orux

orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  twoten Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:13 pm

What are the advantages/disadvantages using 'Oruxmaps sqlite format' against 'Oruxmaps format'?

twoten

Cantidad de envíos : 115

Back to top Go down

Post  MB Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:31 pm

Sqlite should always be preferred. If you have large amounts of data in the old format, the phone's search functions, antivirus etc. will be slowed down because of the enormous amount of folders which have to be opened and closed.

In my case, 2 GB of maps in the old format made it impossible to use the search function in EStrongs file explorer.

MB

Cantidad de envíos : 70

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down