OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Backtracking on a track

3 posters

Go down

Backtracking on a track Empty Backtracking on a track

Post  barte Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:38 am

I've been trying to figure out how to do in Orux the equivalent of a Gamin "trackback". That is, you go (say) on a hike. When you're ready to head back and retrace your steps, you convert the track you've just made into a route--and follow it back. This is what I've come up with--comments and improvements welcome:

At the point of turning around.....

1. Press the Track Logging button to save track to the database.
2. Menu/tracks...then load that track as a route
3. Again press Track Logging button and either create a new segment or a new track
4. Route button/reverse route
5. Route button/follow route.

barte

Cantidad de envíos : 57

Back to top Go down

Backtracking on a track Empty Re: Backtracking on a track

Post  orux Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:52 pm

barte wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to do in Orux the equivalent of a Gamin "trackback". That is, you go (say) on a hike. When you're ready to head back and retrace your steps, you convert the track you've just made into a route--and follow it back. This is what I've come up with--comments and improvements welcome:

At the point of turning around.....

1. Press the Track Logging button to save track to the database.
2. Menu/tracks...then load that track as a route
3. Again press Track Logging button and either create a new segment or a new track
4. Route button/reverse route
5. Route button/follow route.

Hi, barte;

I will try to add an option to do backtracking in one step.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  barte Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Wow! Thanks Orux--I wasn't even asking (I just figured my experience might help others), but a one-step "backtrack" would be great.

barte

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:30 pm

barte wrote:Wow! Thanks Orux--I wasn't even asking (I just figured my experience might help others), but a one-step "backtrack" would be great.

It was easy;

added in next version (a beta in 2/3 days).

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  barte Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:12 am

I'm looking forward to trying it.

barte

Back to top Go down

Backtracking on a track Empty Improving Backtracking

Post  brasjorge Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:02 am

First of all thanks for this great app.
I often use it when hiking "off trail" ant it is really great to see where I am in the middle of nowhere.
I also tested it on a snow hike with fog where my snowshoe track was disappearing (snow was falling) as I was going...
Anyway, at some point it was time to backtrack... and that's where Oruxmaps could get some improvements I think.
In order to follow the trackback with Oruxmaps you stop recording your track, you load it as a route and then you start going back.
After a few minutes you check if you're not too far from the route and correct the direction. But you have to be careful: The direction indicated by the pointer when grabbing the device is not the direction that has been followed, it's instead the direction instantly calculated. On the real world you can get far away from the track and zig zag a lot.
It would be nice to have a special screen a little bit like a car gps screen showing the track to follow, the current position and direction, and pointing the direction to follow in order to stay on track (turn right in 100m, etc...).
I hope this post helps improve this great app.

brasjorge

Cantidad de envíos : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  barte Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Per this thread, the new beta (3.3.X) has a fast way to start a backtrack: Tools/Backtrack. I too would love to have an arrow pointing the actual direction needed to stay on the track.

barte

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:29 pm

brasjorge wrote:First of all thanks for this great app.
I often use it when hiking "off trail" ant it is really great to see where I am in the middle of nowhere.
I also tested it on a snow hike with fog where my snowshoe track was disappearing (snow was falling) as I was going...
Anyway, at some point it was time to backtrack... and that's where Oruxmaps could get some improvements I think.
In order to follow the trackback with Oruxmaps you stop recording your track, you load it as a route and then you start going back.
After a few minutes you check if you're not too far from the route and correct the direction. But you have to be careful: The direction indicated by the pointer when grabbing the device is not the direction that has been followed, it's instead the direction instantly calculated. On the real world you can get far away from the track and zig zag a lot.
It would be nice to have a special screen a little bit like a car gps screen showing the track to follow, the current position and direction, and pointing the direction to follow in order to stay on track (turn right in 100m, etc...).
I hope this post helps improve this great app.

I promise to work hard with 'routing' in next to next version. I want to release 3.4 in a few days.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down