OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Zoom out reduce the picture to a little squared block

4 posters

Go down

Zoom out reduce the picture to a little squared block Empty Zoom out reduce the picture to a little squared block

Post  Pascal Mon May 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Zooming out happens the map become a squared block smaller than the display area.
Dragging the picture makes the block changing, showing the other part of the map around the area shown under the central cursor, accordindly with the direction of the move.
It is not easy to describe this fact but I can try to explain it better if needed.
This behaviour makes it difficult to work with a route extending on several miles.

BTW: the option Zoom Autoload ON by default sometimes appear to be nagging (but maybe I had to learn something more about the use of the program).

bye

p

Pascal

Cantidad de envíos : 32

Back to top Go down

Zoom out reduce the picture to a little squared block Empty Re: Zoom out reduce the picture to a little squared block

Post  orux Mon May 30, 2011 9:08 pm

Pascal wrote:Zooming out happens the map become a squared block smaller than the display area.
Dragging the picture makes the block changing, showing the other part of the map around the area shown under the central cursor, accordindly with the direction of the move.
It is not easy to describe this fact but I can try to explain it better if needed.
This behaviour makes it difficult to work with a route extending on several miles.

BTW: the option Zoom Autoload ON by default sometimes appear to be nagging (but maybe I had to learn something more about the use of the program).

bye

p

Hi;

It is not possible to display more tiles, because of android memory heap limitation per application.

OruxMaps can zoom below 60% just to see the routes at once, but not to see the map, since it is impossible to see details at that level of zoom.

Think, that to load the necessary images to zoom to a level of 20% means reading the sdcard (and scaling) an image of 5.000x5.000 pixels, something impossible for most of the androids.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Zoom out reduce the picture to a little squared block Empty Re: Zoom out reduce the picture to a little squared block

Post  Pascal Mon May 30, 2011 9:11 pm

OK I understand.
Thanks anyway.
p

Pascal

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycogeek Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:41 pm

I think other map programs are limited the same way.
I have seen one solution they used where a single layer map has 3 zoom levels inside it, when you zoom back the program would use the shrunken (50% & 25%) version of the same map item. so the solution for them was in the (propriatary) map itself, as created by thier map making program.

i still wonder if the same thing cant be done by shrinking tiles one by one using the processor, then assembling the picture, but i suspect that would take a Lot of cpu and still be slow on the small devices. with thier method the shrink was done on the big computer and stored in the map itelf.

most of the time (myself) i do not need to zoom back so far on the map, but i would like to stop the program from doing the zoom past say 40% , because the little picture in the center of the screen doesnt have any use.

Psycogeek

Cantidad de envíos : 53

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Psycogeek wrote:I think other map programs are limited the same way.
I have seen one solution they used where a single layer map has 3 zoom levels inside it, when you zoom back the program would use the shrunken (50% & 25%) version of the same map item. so the solution for them was in the (propriatary) map itself, as created by thier map making program.

i still wonder if the same thing cant be done by shrinking tiles one by one using the processor, then assembling the picture, but i suspect that would take a Lot of cpu and still be slow on the small devices. with thier method the shrink was done on the big computer and stored in the map itelf.

most of the time (myself) i do not need to zoom back so far on the map, but i would like to stop the program from doing the zoom past say 40% , because the little picture in the center of the screen doesnt have any use.

Hi, Psycogeek;

You can do that when you calibrate your maps with OruxMapsDesktop. If you select 'multilayer' checkbox, OruxMapsDesktop creates pre-zoomed out layers.

Then OruxMaps can handle those maps like multilayers maps.

You are right, It is easy to read then scale all the tiles from the tiles data base; but this will be really slow.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  Pascal Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I declare my ignorance. So far I've spent not enought time as I would, around this software.
But I'm going to understand something more about OruxMapDesktop.
I dare to say there is too few documentation of such a program (and of OruxMaps too).
In my opinion the software is so good as much the documentation is poor and ofter unusable (look at the online manual for example).
Are there other places where I could find additional info or the included help and the online manual are all the available documents?

Thanks Psycogeek

Pascal

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Pascal wrote:

I declare my ignorance. So far I've spent not enought time as I would, around this software.
But I'm going to understand something more about OruxMapDesktop.
I dare to say there is too few documentation of such a program (and of OruxMaps too).
In my opinion the software is so good as much the documentation is poor and ofter unusable (look at the online manual for example).
Are there other places where I could find additional info or the included help and the online manual are all the available documents?

Thanks Psycogeek

Hi, Pascal;

OruxMaps is a free application, which I attempt to devote much time, which normally it is taken from my family.

I have to develop OruxMaps, OruxMapsDesktop, mobac integration, answer a lot of questions, write manuals (in Spanish, English, ....) maintain the web site ...

If people do not cooperate (I have request, from the beginning, help with the documentation), it is difficult to do everything at once.

The next version will have a new manual, to which I have spent many hours, but it still has a lot of work. And it will be possible to translate it to other languages, if people wants.

Next weeks I will work also in OruxMapsDesktop manual, because next version of OruxMaps will need 3-4 weeks of test.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  Pascal Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:31 pm

orux wrote:
Hi, Pascal;

OruxMaps is a free application, which I attempt to devote much time, which normally it is taken from my family.

I have to develop OruxMaps, OruxMapsDesktop, mobac integration, answer a lot of questions, write manuals (in Spanish, English, ....) maintain the web site ...

If people do not cooperate (I have request, from the beginning, help with the documentation), it is difficult to do everything at once.

The next version will have a new manual, to which I have spent many hours, but it still has a lot of work. And it will be possible to translate it to other languages, if people wants.

Next weeks I will work also in OruxMapsDesktop manual, because next version of OruxMaps will need 3-4 weeks of test.

orux

Hi Orux,
please don't misunderstand my post!
I really appreciate your work and I have no doubt about the time it steals to your family.
It was in my intention to underline the product quality compared with my ignorance about its usage.
I would like to contribute in some way but my current level of knowledge of the program seems to be low.
If you think it could be useful I candidate myself in translating the documentation to the italian language from english or from.... spanish (it should be feasible).
Let me know.
Thanks
p

Pascal

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Pascal wrote:
orux wrote:
Hi, Pascal;

orux

Hi Orux,
please don't misunderstand my post!
I really appreciate your work and I have no doubt about the time it steals to your family.
It was in my intention to underline the product quality compared with my ignorance about its usage.
I would like to contribute in some way but my current level of knowledge of the program seems to be low.
If you think it could be useful I candidate myself in translating the documentation to the italian language from english or from.... spanish (it should be feasible).
Let me know.
Thanks
p

Sorry, Pascal;

Yesterday was a little angry.

Thanks for your help.

I'm working on OruxMapsDesktop manuals. I will send you for translate them.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  pedja Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:34 am

It would be good to have an option to disable this behavior, making OruxMaps able to fill whole screen with map.

When one just wants to quickly see overview of the map, it won't hurt if it's a bit slow (but on my phone it looks like that it would not be). It is not that users would zoom out and use map that way because lots of details will become less readable, but it is needed to view large area of that specific map used, just to get overview of the surroundings. This limitation really hurts.

Rendering another copy of the whole map in another zoom scale just for this purpose is wasting of precious space.

Maybe settings could even allow user to define how large tile set would be for zoom outs, so he could adjust it to his phone capabilities?

This is very needed for detailed map like ortophoto. Resolution of such maps is usually 0.25 or 0.5 cm per pixel, so screen shows just about two or three hundreds of meters around viewing point. When you are in high mountains or thick woods, such map is very needed. But then, from time to time you have to check where the trail, stream or slope goes, and the clearance in the woods you stumbled upon leads. You have to be able to zoom out to check out terrain on larger scale. Such detailed maps are quite large, so it would take too much space to make another copy just to be able to zoom out. I would rather sacrifice some speed instead. I need such zoom outs just occasionally so I would not mind if I have to wait three blinks of an eye, instead of one Smile

pedja

Cantidad de envíos : 111

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down