OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Map Creator stop downloading maps when ONE tile is missing

2 posters

Go down

Map Creator stop downloading maps when ONE tile is missing Empty Map Creator stop downloading maps when ONE tile is missing

Post  febs Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:52 am

This is only the second time that I can download a map ALMOST to the end, because in all of my tries the download went so slow that it hang somewhere in the middle (or way before getting halfway).

But two times, it was fast and steady enough to download all of the tiles in an acceptable time. All, but the LAST one. Oruxmaps is right here close to me trying to download from opencyclemap.

Total to Download: 2050
Tiles downloaded: 2049

It's stuck since some minutes now. And up to slice 2049, the download was not IMPRESSIVELY FAST but still steady and it moved on second after second. It is the second time that it happens. In the first one I just pressed "Cancel" after a while and the map resulted downloaded anyways.

Am I the only one experiencing this behaviour?

Thank

febs

Cantidad de envíos : 139

Back to top Go down

Map Creator stop downloading maps when ONE tile is missing Empty Re: Map Creator stop downloading maps when ONE tile is missing

Post  orux Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:55 pm

febs wrote:This is only the second time that I can download a map ALMOST to the end, because in all of my tries the download went so slow that it hang somewhere in the middle (or way before getting halfway).

But two times, it was fast and steady enough to download all of the tiles in an acceptable time. All, but the LAST one. Oruxmaps is right here close to me trying to download from opencyclemap.

Total to Download: 2050
Tiles downloaded: 2049

It's stuck since some minutes now. And up to slice 2049, the download was not IMPRESSIVELY FAST but still steady and it moved on second after second. It is the second time that it happens. In the first one I just pressed "Cancel" after a while and the map resulted downloaded anyways.

Am I the only one experiencing this behaviour?

Thank

Hi, febs;

Openstreet maps servers are sometimes not very stable. I recommend using a dedicated application to download maps (has cache, manages more threads, it is faster to create the sqlite base,...) ->
MOBAC

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Map Creator stop downloading maps when ONE tile is missing Empty Re: Map Creator stop downloading maps when ONE tile is missing

Post  febs Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Thank you,

the fact is, that the first time I didn't experienced that issue with opencyclemaps: it was CLOUDMADE.

Is that unstable too? Because the beahviour was the very same, going slow (but not TOO slow, say six-seven minutes for 2500 tiles) and ARRESTED at the latest tile.

Thanks!

febs

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:55 pm

febs wrote:Thank you,

the fact is, that the first time I didn't experienced that issue with opencyclemaps: it was CLOUDMADE.

Is that unstable too? Because the beahviour was the very same, going slow (but not TOO slow, say six-seven minutes for 2500 tiles) and ARRESTED at the latest tile.

Thanks!

Hi, febs;

Have you read the manual and/or test the resume option with cancelled maps?

'An incomplete download of a map may be later resumed. In the download view, use „menu-continue‟, select the map to complete. OruxMaps will check for the missing images and download them.'

may solve your problem.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  febs Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks, but I exited the download view already. By clicking "cancel" and then telling Oruxmaps NOT to delete the files, it still creates a map with all the tiles it could download (all of them, but one!)

Is it possible, for the sake of completeness - or to resume downloads stopped halfways - to complete a map after LEAVING the download view?

Thanks!

febs

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm

febs wrote:Thanks, but I exited the download view already. By clicking "cancel" and then telling Oruxmaps NOT to delete the files, it still creates a map with all the tiles it could download (all of them, but one!)

Is it possible, for the sake of completeness - or to resume downloads stopped halfways - to complete a map after LEAVING the download view?

Thanks!

You can try resume any map,

Open map downloader view (with a new dummy map to download, for example). Then menu--continue, select the map you want to resume.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  febs Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:20 am

Ouch. Thanks!

May I suggest to make this feature available from the map itself? The "menu" button from the map view is completely disabled. At least, here, it just makes my phone vibrate with no other effect. I often wondered while touching that "now, let's see what I can do from here".

By the way: this is by no mean an excuse for not having Read The Fine Manual. But still: nowadays, we have to face it, almost nobody does. And in any case, a s/w for being as widespread as possible should be as intuitive and "less manual-reading-requiring" as possible. Just my two cents to improve Oruxmaps "usability" and friendliness.

Thanks so much. Btw, my donation is on the way.

febs

Back to top Go down

Post  febs Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:23 am

Speaking about donations, why don't you do (as many developers do) a second paid app just for the purpose of giving the users a easier and even FASTER way to donate?

Opening a computer and a paypal account is NOT difficult, of course. But still, having the chance to donate from the very phone at a fingertip would probably induce some people to donate. The easier it is the chance to donate, the easier is the chance that some more body will.

Just two more cents (and it's four cents so far).

Thanks!

febs

Back to top Go down