OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

which file format should I buy?

Go down

which file format should I buy? Empty which file format should I buy?

Post  adolson on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi, I am new to OruxMaps, but I think it will be great for my use in the summer time.

I have made my own map using MOBAC 1.8, but I think the data on these topo maps is better so I would like to buy some for offline use. I found this site:

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/index.php?main_page=topo_search_result&keyword_entered=&keyword_dropdown=6331&x=13&y=9

I am given these choices for purchasing the maps:

  • TOPO PDF for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
  • KMZ for Google Earth and GPS units that use KMZ files
  • MAP for OziExplorer and MacGPS Pro
  • PNG and JPR for Memory Map and Fugawi


Which of these formats should I buy, in order to have the easiest or most-accurate conversion to OruxMaps? Or is there a better site for Northern Ontario maps?

Note that I run only Linux in my house, so I can't use Windows apps to do conversions.

adolson

Cantidad de envíos : 3
Fecha de inscripción : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

which file format should I buy? Empty Re: which file format should I buy?

Post  orux on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:10 pm

adolson wrote:Hi, I am new to OruxMaps, but I think it will be great for my use in the summer time.

I have made my own map using MOBAC 1.8, but I think the data on these topo maps is better so I would like to buy some for offline use. I found this site:

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/shop/index.php?main_page=topo_search_result&keyword_entered=&keyword_dropdown=6331&x=13&y=9

I am given these choices for purchasing the maps:

  • TOPO PDF for iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
  • KMZ for Google Earth and GPS units that use KMZ files
  • MAP for OziExplorer and MacGPS Pro
  • PNG and JPR for Memory Map and Fugawi


Which of these formats should I buy, in order to have the easiest or most-accurate conversion to OruxMaps? Or is there a better site for Northern Ontario maps?

Note that I run only Linux in my house, so I can't use Windows apps to do conversions.

Hi, you can convert Ozi maps to OruxMaps maps using OruxMapsDesktop-->www.oruxmaps.com

orux

_________________
Ahora puedes contribuir:--> DONACIÓN
Now you can contribute:--> DONATE
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946
Fecha de inscripción : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

which file format should I buy? Empty Re: which file format should I buy?

Post  adolson on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks. I had read a link from the documentation page I believe, and it was a tutorial on converting Ozi maps. It said I needed a Windows app called DeMapper from TerraPerfecta or something like that, so I wasn't sure.

I bought one of the maps and looked at it, and it's not very good. It's OK, but it's not zoomed in enough for my liking.

I can get TIFF images of scanned topo maps from GeoGratis ( http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/product/search.do?id=08F1CB77-F351-0F8A-EF30-CA081CA0CE61 ) and these maps would be ok (scale 1:50K), but they have borders and they are crooked (grid lines are straight, but borders of maps are angled for some reason). I don't know enough of what I'm doing to try converting these to a useful format for OruxMaps. I have paper maps of some of these, but I'd like them in OruxMaps. It's hard for me to find this info online.

adolson

Cantidad de envíos : 3
Fecha de inscripción : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

which file format should I buy? Empty Re: which file format should I buy?

Post  orux on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm

adolson wrote:Thanks. I had read a link from the documentation page I believe, and it was a tutorial on converting Ozi maps. It said I needed a Windows app called DeMapper from TerraPerfecta or something like that, so I wasn't sure.

I bought one of the maps and looked at it, and it's not very good. It's OK, but it's not zoomed in enough for my liking.

I can get TIFF images of scanned topo maps from GeoGratis ( http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/product/search.do?id=08F1CB77-F351-0F8A-EF30-CA081CA0CE61 ) and these maps would be ok (scale 1:50K), but they have borders and they are crooked (grid lines are straight, but borders of maps are angled for some reason). I don't know enough of what I'm doing to try converting these to a useful format for OruxMaps. I have paper maps of some of these, but I'd like them in OruxMaps. It's hard for me to find this info online.

Hi;

you can use geotiff maps (it is a bit difficult, but you can try) with OruxmapsDesktop, if you install jai-tools-->http://download.java.net/media/jai-imageio/builds/release/1.1/

take a look to the manual-->http://www.oruxmaps.com/oruxmapsdesktop_en.pdf

orux

_________________
Ahora puedes contribuir:--> DONACIÓN
Now you can contribute:--> DONATE
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946
Fecha de inscripción : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

which file format should I buy? Empty Re: which file format should I buy?

Post  orux on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:21 pm

adolson wrote:Thanks. I had read a link from the documentation page I believe, and it was a tutorial on converting Ozi maps. It said I needed a Windows app called DeMapper from TerraPerfecta or something like that, so I wasn't sure.

I bought one of the maps and looked at it, and it's not very good. It's OK, but it's not zoomed in enough for my liking.

I can get TIFF images of scanned topo maps from GeoGratis ( http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/product/search.do?id=08F1CB77-F351-0F8A-EF30-CA081CA0CE61 ) and these maps would be ok (scale 1:50K), but they have borders and they are crooked (grid lines are straight, but borders of maps are angled for some reason). I don't know enough of what I'm doing to try converting these to a useful format for OruxMaps. I have paper maps of some of these, but I'd like them in OruxMaps. It's hard for me to find this info online.

And if you have a Windows machine, you can try with the new version of www.okmap.org it can work with geotiff

orux

_________________
Ahora puedes contribuir:--> DONACIÓN
Now you can contribute:--> DONATE
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946
Fecha de inscripción : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

which file format should I buy? Empty Re: which file format should I buy?

Post  adolson on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks for your replies. I don't have access to a Windows machine.

If I understand that PDF instructional you linked me to, I can just look at my map file, it tells me each corner is a certain geo co-ordinate, and then I just look at the map image to find the pixel co-ordinate and punch those into the program, feed it the .TIF file, and it's done? Or do I need a .MAP file too? because the .TIF images from the government site don't include a .MAP file. Can I just create one using the sample code in that PDF file, and edit the co-ordinates data and image name?

You can get a ZIP here to see exactly what I'm looking at:
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/50k_300dpi/031/m/canmatrix_031m06_tif.zip

BTW, these digital maps are freely given by our government, no need to pay for them, so don't worry. There is an Android app that uses really nice quality versions of these maps. I had tried the demo, but I can't recall what it's called, and it is not open source. I'd rather use OruxMaps.

adolson

Cantidad de envíos : 3
Fecha de inscripción : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

which file format should I buy? Empty Re: which file format should I buy?

Post  orux on Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm

adolson wrote:Thanks for your replies. I don't have access to a Windows machine.

If I understand that PDF instructional you linked me to, I can just look at my map file, it tells me each corner is a certain geo co-ordinate, and then I just look at the map image to find the pixel co-ordinate and punch those into the program, feed it the .TIF file, and it's done? Or do I need a .MAP file too? because the .TIF images from the government site don't include a .MAP file. Can I just create one using the sample code in that PDF file, and edit the co-ordinates data and image name?

You can get a ZIP here to see exactly what I'm looking at:
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/50k_300dpi/031/m/canmatrix_031m06_tif.zip

BTW, these digital maps are freely given by our government, no need to pay for them, so don't worry. There is an Android app that uses really nice quality versions of these maps. I had tried the demo, but I can't recall what it's called, and it is not open source. I'd rather use OruxMaps.

Hi;

1.-download OruxMapsDesktop
2.-install jai-tools in your jre
3.-execute OruxMapsDesktop
4.-select your tiff with 'calibration file' button. You should see that datum & projection are unknown.
5.-select NAD83 datum, UTM, 17 projection.
6.-run

you should get a map like-->http://www.oruxmaps.com/031m06_1_1.tar.gz

uncompress in oruxmaps/mapfiles/ folder.

orux

_________________
Ahora puedes contribuir:--> DONACIÓN
Now you can contribute:--> DONATE
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946
Fecha de inscripción : 2009-07-06

Back to top Go down

which file format should I buy? Empty Re: which file format should I buy?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum