OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS signals drops every 5 mins

4 posters

Go down

GPS signals drops every 5 mins Empty GPS signals drops every 5 mins

Post  difush Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:16 pm

I have installed the program on Galaxy S2 but I am getting a GPS lost warning every 5 mins or so. using other GPS apps does not have such issue, so I suspect the phone's GPS should be working fine.

GPS setting

GPS Minimal time 0 sec (always) (have tried changing from 0 sec up 8s and no improvement)
Minimal distance 20m
accuracy for position fix 250m (have tried 100m and 250m and no improvement)

Have reinstalled several times
have uninstalled all apps that have access to GPS

I love this program and really want to use it but if GPS signals keeps on dropping like this, I could miss turns and turns when the GPS signal drops.

Any suggestion how to trouble shoot the problem ? Anyway I could track exactly when and where the GPS signals drops ? At least I want to know if there is a genuine signal drop or its just a bug triggering the TTS to signal a GPS lost.

I have also notice that while sitting in one place without moving, the GPS location keeps fluctuating +/- 200m while other apps showed accurately that I am static in one place

difush

Cantidad de envíos : 7

Back to top Go down

GPS signals drops every 5 mins Empty Re: GPS signals drops every 5 mins

Post  orux Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:52 pm

difush wrote:I have installed the program on Galaxy S2 but I am getting a GPS lost warning every 5 mins or so. using other GPS apps does not have such issue, so I suspect the phone's GPS should be working fine.

GPS setting

GPS Minimal time 0 sec (always) (have tried changing from 0 sec up 8s and no improvement)
Minimal distance 20m
accuracy for position fix 250m (have tried 100m and 250m and no improvement)

Have reinstalled several times
have uninstalled all apps that have access to GPS

I love this program and really want to use it but if GPS signals keeps on dropping like this, I could miss turns and turns when the GPS signal drops.

Any suggestion how to trouble shoot the problem ? Anyway I could track exactly when and where the GPS signals drops ? At least I want to know if there is a genuine signal drop or its just a bug triggering the TTS to signal a GPS lost.

I have also notice that while sitting in one place without moving, the GPS location keeps fluctuating +/- 200m while other apps showed accurately that I am static in one place

Hi;

Strange, I think it is working fine; I have not heard of such failures.

Use a low value for 'Accuracy for position fix'. If you select '20 m', then OruxMaps will do not use the value received from the gps, until the GPS has a good precision (<20 m).

Tests with other programs; (My Tracks, for example) do them simultaneously (OruxMaps and My Tracks recorded at a time).

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  difush Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:30 pm

tried using My Track today for a 30 minute walking track and no apparently GPS signal lost. My Track also produces a more accurate track. Also tested at the same stationary spot for about 15 mins, the indicated location does move around slightly but certainly much less than when using Oruxmap. From looking at the track, it looks like that Oruxmap multiplied the movement several times.

I think a slightly less accurate GPS location is acceptable but the GPS signal drops would jepardize the usefulness of the apps. On a short driving trip with about 20 waypoints I used as a test, one waypoint was missed when the GPS signal dropped.

I am not sure if it could be caused by other apps that is interfering but I have less than 20 apps installed and most are not GPS related apps.

I am not sure if this helps identify the issue

phone : Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 (rooted)
Android version 2.3.5
Kernel 2.6.35.7-I9100XXKI3-CLS77579
Build # Gingerbread.ZSKI3

All apps that have access to GPS have been uninstalled except GPS status and pre-installed google map

When I first installed Oruxmap, the GPS signal did not drop as frequently but gets worst. As I recall, I have uninstalled all apps I have installed after I notice a more frequent drop in the GPS signal.

difush

Back to top Go down

Post  difush Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:49 am

I have also tested the GPS on the phone for about 1 hour using GPS Status. All the time I have10-11 satelite in view and 7-9 birds locked. Hence, the satelite signal should be OK but Oruxmap warned me of GPS signal loss frequently. So, its either Oruxmap is not getting the signal from the GPS or the warning was triggered even without GPS loss. I was in a static position and could not figure out if there was an actual GPS signal loss to the apps or if the warning was inappropriately triggered. Any pointers to narow down the potential problem would be highly appreciated.

difush

Back to top Go down

Post  difush Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Problem solved by reseting phone to factory. I cannot figure what causes the problem but after resetting the phone, everything works fine. I suspect there was a conflict with some apps I have installed but cannot pinpoint which one. After reset, I rooted the phone again and re-installed most of the apps and Oruxmap continued to run normally. I suspect it could be the No moar powah app but have not been able to replicate the problem again.

difush

Back to top Go down

Post  sasapunc Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 am

I have experienced same problem but without solution.

Firs it happened with HTC Hero and now with Xperia Arc S.
When Orux was firs installed on old HTC it worked fine, signal was lost very rarely. After some time signal lost was detected more often, HTC was reset to factory default and I rooted it. There were no GPS drops for week or two but it happened again.

Then I got Xperia Arc S, it Orux was working fine for almost one year and then GPS drops occurs. Factory reset (not root) did help a bit but not much. Very similar problems as described here http://knobblytarmac.co.uk/?page_id=795

Any ideas?

sasapunc

Cantidad de envíos : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  pelleoss Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:50 pm

Similar problem on Samsung Galaxy S+: I have no gps lost warnings but big troubles to lock the first signal and tracking is not accurate (some recorded points very far from real route).
First problem occurred only with orux, in fact to fix it I had to run another gps app (like google maps), waiting for fixing and than run again orux. Now solved installing GPS status.
Second problem still in place... :-(

I remember with my old X10mini and one of the first orux revisions everything was working fine... Do I have to switch back to rev 1.2??!?! lol! 

pelleoss
pelleoss

Cantidad de envíos : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:54 pm

pelleoss wrote:Similar problem on Samsung Galaxy S+: I have no gps lost warnings but big troubles to lock the first signal and tracking is not accurate (some recorded points very far from real route).
First problem occurred only with orux, in fact to fix it I had to run another gps app (like google maps), waiting for fixing and than run again orux. Now solved installing GPS status.
Second problem still in place... :-(

I remember with my old X10mini and one of the first orux revisions everything was working fine... Do I have to switch back to rev 1.2??!?! lol! 

Hi;

try with this-->https://oruxmaps.forumotion.com/t3698-several-gps-errors

If you have problems, check if the gps icon is blinking or not (android status bar)

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down