OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total Climbing too low - Algorithm

4 posters

Go down

Total Climbing too low - Algorithm Empty Total Climbing too low - Algorithm

Post  mr.nied Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:30 am

Hey!!

First of all a really BIG THANKS for this great app, that I use since i got my first android (HTC Hero Wink )!!

But I have one question:
I export every track I log as gpx-file to open it on my PC with "GPS Track Analyse".
And there is always a big difference in the calculated value "total climbing" (e.g. Oruxmaps: 922m; GTA: 1275m)..

Do you know where this difference comes from?
Or can you tell me, which algorithm you use to calculate this value?
I think you DO NOT add every difference between two following trackpoints, that is greater than zero, do you??

Thanks and greets
Mr.Nied

mr.nied

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Total Climbing too low - Algorithm Empty Re: Total Climbing too low - Algorithm

Post  orux Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:51 pm

mr.nied wrote:Hey!!

First of all a really BIG THANKS for this great app, that I use since i got my first android (HTC Hero Wink )!!

But I have one question:
I export every track I log as gpx-file to open it on my PC with "GPS Track Analyse".
And there is always a big difference in the calculated value "total climbing" (e.g. Oruxmaps: 922m; GTA: 1275m)..

Do you know where this difference comes from?
Or can you tell me, which algorithm you use to calculate this value?
I think you DO NOT add every difference between two following trackpoints, that is greater than zero, do you??

Thanks and greets
Mr.Nied

Hi;

The problem is the accuracy of the GPS measuring altitude. If you upload the gpx to EveryTrail, mapmytracks... sure you get lower values.

OruxMaps softens altitude measurements by averaging the values ​​obtained, and only calculates increase/decrease in altitude when there are more than 150 meters between two gps points.

A good alternative is to use google services to correct the altitude. Try using that service.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  cyberdude Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:39 am

I've always wondered about this discrepancy between Oruxmaps total gains and the various online tracking services. Orux, so if I understand correctly if I happen to go up a 20m hump and back down within 150m that your algorithm will not add the climb and decent to the total gains/decents? I sometimes find the discrepancy between Oruxmap's values and Google's to be quite large, sometimes more than 150m when riding a 45km route in a hilly region.

Is it possible to reduce the 150m limit to something a little lower perhaps make it user configurable within a range, e.g. 25m-150m?

cyberdude

Cantidad de envíos : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  mr.nied Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:48 am

orux wrote:...

A good alternative is to use google services to correct the altitude. Try using that service.

Hey..

Thanks for your fast response, great support!!!

I always use STRM data, to correct the values in my PC.
I think this google services is the same, isn't it?
When I use this service to correct the altitude, will there although be this 150m average thing?

And do you plan to integrate offline STRM data, because I'm always in flightmode, when I'm logging..

Thanks
Mr.Nied

mr.nied

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  cyberdude Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:16 am

Actually, looking back at some of my data, I'd say 70% of the time my GPS seems to record a higher total gain than Google usually shows it to be. My recorded elevations gains correspond to my friend's Garmin 705 (by +- 20m) so seem consistent. Makes you wonder if Google's elevation gains are out or smoothed too much. It seems to work both ways.

cyberdude

Cantidad de envíos : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  fidelcastro54 Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:59 am

This altitudes are always to high! Use the srtm data and then use "Höhenprofil glätten" with the Standards!

fidelcastro54

Cantidad de envíos : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down