OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oruxmaps only shows 16 tiles

3 posters

Go down

Oruxmaps only shows 16 tiles  Empty Oruxmaps only shows 16 tiles

Post  JouHou Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:55 pm

I recently bought a Samsung XCover 2, with getting offline maps into my phone being a major reason. So, I installed oruxmaps and transferred the 1.37Gb map file from Kartat.hylly.org. This combination works fine as far as I don't zoom too far. When I do, this is what happens:

Oruxmaps only shows 16 tiles  Screen11

What could be the reason? Too low memory? Wrong settings? This isn't the biggest problem, but still somewhat annoying. If I want to zoom to a certain place on the map, it becomes very difficult, because I won't see but a very little fraction of Finland.

JouHou

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Oruxmaps only shows 16 tiles  Empty Re: Oruxmaps only shows 16 tiles

Post  Icarus Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:57 pm

I believe what you are seeing is the expected behaviour of OruxMaps.

My understanding is that Android memory limitations drive the need to limit the number of tiles on display.

Icarus

Cantidad de envíos : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  JouHou Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:31 pm

Icarus wrote:I believe what you are seeing is the expected behaviour of OruxMaps.

My understanding is that Android memory limitations drive the need to limit the number of tiles on display.
OK. If that's the case, then I guess there's nothing I can do about it. But there's one stupid question. Are online maps somehow lighter on memory? Why does eg. Mapnik->mapsforge (selected from the online map list) show whole Finland, if zoomed far enough? I bet there's a sensible answer to that, but I just can't see it.

JouHou

Cantidad de envíos : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Icarus Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:04 am

Interesting question... I'll have a go at it but I'm not an expert on the back-end of OruxMaps.

Online maps are being served up from an external server and processor. When you are being served up tiles at zoomed out scales, all the processing is being done 'off-board'. The tiles you see have already been down-sampled, so there's no greater amount of information inherent in what you see in a given 512x512 pixel tile.

Offline maps are not a product of a server, but are instead served up from an onboard sqlite database. Digital zooming out has overheads in down-sampling processing and memory to greater effect as you include more tiles.

In OruxMaps Desktop, I'll create MultiLayer maps to work-around the limitation you've observed. Essentially this does the down-sampling at the point of map creation on the desktop.

Icarus

Cantidad de envíos : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:58 am

Icarus wrote:Interesting question... I'll have a go at it but I'm not an expert on the back-end of OruxMaps.

Online maps are being served up from an external server and processor. When you are being served up tiles at zoomed out scales, all the processing is being done 'off-board'. The tiles you see have already been down-sampled, so there's no greater amount of information inherent in what you see in a given 512x512 pixel tile.

Offline maps are not a product of a server, but are instead served up from an onboard sqlite database. Digital zooming out has overheads in down-sampling processing and memory to greater effect as you include more tiles.

In OruxMaps Desktop, I'll create MultiLayer maps to work-around the limitation you've observed. Essentially this does the down-sampling at the point of map creation on the desktop.

Hi, thanks Icarus;

JouHou:

Zoom between layers is different from digital zoom.

Some maps have a zoom limit between layers, for example the one that you show.

That map allows a minimum true zoom level of @12. It has no sense a digital zoom beyond 60%, you can not see anything. In earlier versions this was the limit, but many users asked me to strip off that boundary to see the full paths, although you can not see the map.

If you want to see a map at zoom level less than @12 is easy:

Download garmin maps that have that level of zoom (I have one of suomi).

Oruxmaps only shows 16 tiles  Om_13710

Create a map from the online maps with zoom levels, for example 4-11.

Oruxmaps automatically will load the corresponding map.

About memory limits:

One tile of 256x256 requires 1mb of memory more or less.

At 20% digital zoom level, OruxMaps should load and scale 16x16 tiles (more or less) --> 256 tiles --> 256mb of memory more or less, a lot and heavy work.

30% of android devices have a heap memory limit per application of 16/32/48 mb, depends of device and display size.
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down