OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please remove that 256MB limit!

3 posters

Go down

Would you LOVE to have the 256MB limit removed?

Please remove that 256MB limit! Vote_lcap100%Please remove that 256MB limit! Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 7 ]
Please remove that 256MB limit! Vote_lcap0%Please remove that 256MB limit! Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

Please remove that 256MB limit! Empty Please remove that 256MB limit!

Post  febs Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't like creating maps with MOBAC. I have to configure it to support my WMS sources after I already have configured Oruxmaps to do so.
I have to use a PC.
I have to transfer files.

This seriously compromise the great useability and comfort of Oruxmaps.

As far as I know that the limit is there so not to stress too much the WMS servers.
My opinion is that what really matters is the transfer rate. If any server can accept transfers from MOBAC, it would accept the very same downoads from a mobile app. I can't see why there could be any difference.

To be more polite with the server, the transfer speed could be throttled instead, so never to override the speed of (for instance) 10 kbps.
That would make the download slow (it could run at night), "delicate" on the server, full and complete for the user from a single point.

Plan tomorrow's trip in bed, start download the map, sleep, wake up, find your map on your phone and you're ready to go.

That is just a scenario. Please, please remove that limit! I put a poll down here so to ask for other user's feedback. Thanks!

febs

Cantidad de envíos : 139

Back to top Go down

Please remove that 256MB limit! Empty Re: Please remove that 256MB limit!

Post  febs Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:57 pm

I am really surprised that this poll only got three votes so far. Well, probably most users just never get to the forum.

I saw that the limit was increased; thank you very much.
I was in the mountain and I could fetch a map that I used the following day on a hike, in a area where no internet connection at all was available.

Cheers

febs

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:06 pm

febs wrote:I am really surprised that this poll only got three votes so far. Well, probably most users just never get to the forum.

I saw that the limit was increased; thank you very much.
I was in the mountain and I could fetch a map that I used the following day on a hike, in a area where no internet connection at all was available.

Cheers

Hi, febs;

we will go up gradually the limit.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  febs Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:55 am

Awesome!

febs

Back to top Go down

Please remove that 256MB limit! Empty New limit 512mb?

Post  libove Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 pm

It seems that the new limit is 512mb, which is strange because I'm fairly sure that I have downloaded much larger maps in the past, and this is the first time I remember seeing any kind of limit warning at all.
The original poster is right - the problem is not map size; if anything, it is data transfer rate. (10kbps to download a 700MB map is much too slow; but I'm sure that some moderate rate can be determined, even perhaps by asking the map sources themselves).

I do not use a desktop map creator, for the exact reasons as the original poster.
Please, remove the size limit entirely, and impose a reasonable bandwidth throttle for larger downloads. (The existing resume-download function is amazing, and obviously will help work with this).

thank you,
Jay
Barcelona, Spain

libove

Cantidad de envíos : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down