OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OruxMaps goes backpacking

3 posters

Go down

OruxMaps goes backpacking Empty OruxMaps goes backpacking

Post  barte Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:42 pm

After thinking about this since last summer, I finally went on a backpack--three nights, four days--using my Droid X2 and OruxMaps.....instead of my Garmin eTrex. The combination proved stellar. I preloaded OpenStreetMap Cyclemap and Google Terrain (at around layer 14), which gave me plenty of information to go on, including and especially for the off-trail hiking. I later contributed my track back to OpenStreetMap and made some corrections so that the area, in the eastern part of Yosemite, is even better mapped for others. I also loaded some Garmin maps via the Orux beta, but don't think they were necessary.

A couple of extra items are essential:

• An external battery. I used a Trent PowerPack connected by a short USB cord. Turning wireless off (the GPS remained on) meant I only had to recharge at night or during a hiking break. Admittedly, this is heavier than a GPS with no backup batteries, but it also lasts longer. I was able to record the entire trip.
  • A zip-lock plastic bag for rain.

The phone--with its large, bright display and clear tracks and topo lines--got a lot of attention from fellow geek hikers, and of course I always told them: "OruxMaps--it's brilliant." Thank you again Orux for this great application. This was by far the best GPS I've ever carried into the wilderness. In a week, another backplan opportunity to test things further.

barte

Cantidad de envíos : 57

Back to top Go down

OruxMaps goes backpacking Empty Re: OruxMaps goes backpacking

Post  febs Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Nice story! I use Orux all the time like that. I recommend you to get an external bluetooth gps receiver: that will save you batteries.

Thanks for contributing to OSM!

febs

Cantidad de envíos : 139

Back to top Go down

Post  barte Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks. Had thought about an external receiver and will consider it.

barte

Back to top Go down

Post  zapfen Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 am

dear febs, this mean if I enable the Bluetooth instead the gps in the smartphone it uses less battery. How long can you work like this with your phone?

Regards,
zapfen

zapfen

Cantidad de envíos : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  febs Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:09 pm

I could use Orux with an external receiver for more than eight hours and I have still battery left. The problem at the time was that the external receiver itself had a battery life of eight hours so I could not test the phone battery life more extensively!
I just ordered a better external GPS unit that should last for more than 40 hours. I will let you know my benchmarks after I'll get it.

I expect a great improvement overall because this new unit (Qstarz BT-1000ex) has the logging feature.
This way, I can log the tracks from within the external unit itself, and connect it to Orux on the phone via bluetooth ONLY when needed for navigation. Not needing to pair the phone with the GPS all the time anymore (I will not need to log the track with orux) should allow me to use the phone with the maps for a LONG time.

Those are only thoughts tough, I will experiment with the toy a great lot and I'll write my results on the board as soon as they will be made.

Cheers! Smile

febs

Back to top Go down

Post  barte Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:59 am

Meanwhile, I took my Droid 2X and Trent battery on a second backpack--40 miles over six days--recording the entire track with Oruxmaps with plenty of battery power to spare. The phone was also useful for taking pictures. Google Sky Map and the MP3 player for the evening could also be useful. I typically recharged twice a day--at a lunch stop and in the evening--though once might have done it.

barte

Back to top Go down

Post  zapfen Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:30 am

dear febs, this sounds good, the only inconvenience is you have to watch 2 devices battery status. Actually I have a solution with a battery pack to recharge the phone but I have to do a long test trip to see how long it runs with this setup.

zapfen

Cantidad de envíos : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  febs Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:17 am

barte: sounds interesting. How much does that Trent battery weights?
I did ordered an external battery once (a 14000 mAh one!) but I was out of luck and it did not worked.

Anyhow, one of the HUGE benefits of having a separate device is that the internal GPS of my phone (and my girlfriend's) are not that good. The chipset on the BT-1000ex should be by far more accurate and stable.

febs

Back to top Go down

Post  barte Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:12 pm

mine is 11000 mAh, weighing 288 grams. Point taken about the accuracy of an external antenna, but this seems close enough--especially when trees aren't blocking the sky. I've compared it to a Garmin eTrex and the tracks are quite comparable.

barte

Back to top Go down

Post  febs Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:53 pm

barte wrote:mine is 11000 mAh, weighing 288 grams. Point taken about the accuracy of an external antenna, but this seems close enough--especially when trees aren't blocking the sky. I've compared it to a Garmin eTrex and the tracks are quite comparable.

11000 mAh in less than 300 grams sounds very feasible in non-extreme trips where every gram matters, provided that they're not in woods also.
The track I recorded this very sunday and monday was mostly in woods and it definitely SUCK unfortunately.

How much does it cost your battery pack? I mean, what is the model's name?

Thanks!

febs

Back to top Go down

Post  barte Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:50 pm

Every gram does indeed count--and the battery is an extravagance. But I've saved by taking audiobooks rather than paper, so there's at least a tradeoff. Mine is the New Trent iCarrier 12000mAhH: $US 77. Here it is on Amazon.

barte

Back to top Go down

Post  febs Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:44 am

barte wrote:Every gram does indeed count--and the battery is an extravagance. But I've saved by taking audiobooks rather than paper, so there's at least a tradeoff. Mine is the New Trent iCarrier 12000mAhH: $US 77. Here it is on Amazon.

Just ordered from Amazon UK (I am Italian).
Thanks Very Happy

febs

Back to top Go down

Post  barte Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:46 pm

Enjoy!

barte

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content