OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gingerbread compatibility problems with gps

2 posters

Go down

Gingerbread compatibility problems with gps Empty Gingerbread compatibility problems with gps

Post  ChrisM Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:50 pm

Is it correct, that OruxMaps gps recognition does have compatibility problems with Gingerbread?

See the following post:

Regards,
Chris

ChrisM

Back to top Go down

Gingerbread compatibility problems with gps Empty Re: Gingerbread compatibility problems with gps

Post  ChrisM Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Here ist the post:

forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14429499&postcount=210

ChrisM

Back to top Go down

Gingerbread compatibility problems with gps Empty Re: Gingerbread compatibility problems with gps

Post  ChrisM Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:54 pm

ChrisM

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:59 pm

ChrisM wrote:

Hi, Chris.

OruxMaps is using the API compatible with android android 1.6 to 3.1

I use 2.3.4 for some time, in my Nexus, and I have not had that problem.

There are thousands of users and with 2.3.xx and 3.xx, and nobody has reported this problem.

But I can be wrong, although I have researched.

Perhaps the problem is how OruxMaps requests for gps updates. Test My Tracks, changing the minimum time between measurements of GPS, to 4 seconds. Also try OruxMaps putting the minimum time between gps measurements at 0 seconds.

http://developer.android.com/intl/de/guide/topics/location/obtaining-user-location.html

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisM Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Hi Orux,

thanks for your quick reply and your great app.
Will test tomorrow and report back. I doubt that a shorter interval can be a solution, because even if it worked it would drain the battery.
I'm surprised that you use the same gps interface for all android versions, cause I've heard that the interface changed from froyo to gingerbread.

Regards,
Chris

ChrisM

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:36 am

ChrisM wrote:Hi Orux,

thanks for your quick reply and your great app.
Will test tomorrow and report back. I doubt that a shorter interval can be a solution, because even if it worked it would drain the battery.
I'm surprised that you use the same gps interface for all android versions, cause I've heard that the interface changed from froyo to gingerbread.

Regards,
Chris

Hi, Chris;

OruxMaps uses calls that are present (and not deprecated) since API 1: http://developer.android.com/intl/de/reference/android/location/LocationManager.html#requestLocationUpdates%28java.lang.String,%20long,%20float,%20android.location.LocationListener%29

There are new calls since API 9, but OruxMaps does not use them, because the old must work as expected: http://developer.android.com/intl/de/reference/android/location/LocationManager.html#requestLocationUpdates%28long,%20float,%20android.location.Criteria,%20android.location.LocationListener,%20android.os.Looper%29

OruxMaps also uses a call present since API 5: http://developer.android.com/intl/de/reference/android/location/LocationManager.html#addNmeaListener%28android.location.GpsStatus.NmeaListener%29

There are new ways to request updates, but the old are still there.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisM Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Orux,

you were right. When I reduce the gps interval from 2 to 0 seconds, the GPS icon in the status bar remains constant and doesn't blink.
But when I increase the interval in MyTracks from its default 0 to 4, the icon remains constant. Correct behaviour.

So it seems to me that OruxMaps tries to reconnect every 2 seconds when I set the interval to 2 seconds. But the correct behaviour would be that the gps signal should remain fixed and the 2 seconds only affect the tracklog, which should be updated every 2 seconds.

Regards,
Chris

ChrisM

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycogeek Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:05 pm

one tip is to use a program called "trackerbooster" from android market , it is not an actual booster, but it forces the GPS to keep working by polling it or whatever.
You run trackerbooster , and start it, then send it to the background.

(aparentally) In the android system on many devices when the program stops asking the gps stops trying.
Which is unlike something like a CE GPS system or car gps unit where the reciever can continue to work in the background even without any program wanting its data at all. some of them working right from startup (init) and never stopping.

if your device doesnt instantally lock back on, one other soulution is to keep it running with trackerbooster.
That can also be used to get the gps going before you actually run a map program or need it , so it has a good satalite lock before hand.
some devices use AGPS and get a "web assist" that can get a lock a lot faster, but requires a connection to the web or cell towers somehow.

Psycogeek

Cantidad de envíos : 53

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:23 pm

you were right. When I reduce the gps interval from 2 to 0 seconds, the GPS icon in the status bar remains constant and doesn't blink.
But when I increase the interval in MyTracks from its default 0 to 4, the icon remains constant. Correct behaviour.

So it seems to me that OruxMaps tries to reconnect every 2 seconds when I set the interval to 2 seconds. But the correct behaviour would be that the gps signal should remain fixed and the 2 seconds only affect the tracklog, which should be updated every 2 seconds.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris;

Why 'But when I increase the interval in MyTracks from its default 0 to 4, the icon remains constant.' is correct?

I'd rather know if android is turning off the GPS between readings, to verify that it is saving battery. If the GPS indicator is constantly lit, I do not know if the gps settings are correct. If you are walking in the mountain is vital that this is so.

And this is what OruxMaps do if you set 'minimal time' to 4 seconds. You allow to android to turn off the gps between measurements. You can save till 80% of battery using correct gps settings. Remember that OruxMaps best thing about is that you can use for outdoor activities for a long time, because you can adjust the battery consumption.

It may be that using the new API calls, android behaves like taht. But I prefer the old system!

Psycogeek is talking about a different matter. There android devices that do a hot gps restart not right. In that case it is important to keep alive the gps all the time. But this implies a high battery consumption, which is bad if you're on the mountain.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisM Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Hi Orux,

then you would say, that the blinking of the GPS indicator is correct and intended? Does it also blink at your own 2.3.4 device if you set minimal time to 2 seconds or higher?

Regards,
Chris

ChrisM

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:28 pm

then you would say, that the blinking of the GPS indicator is correct and intended? Does it also blink at your own 2.3.4 device if you set minimal time to 2 seconds or higher?

Regards,
Chris

Hi, Chris;

Yes; this is how the gps icon works in my androids since the beginning 1.5, to current 2.3.4.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisM Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi Orux,

then everything is fine! It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Thanks for your explanation and Regards,
Chris

ChrisM

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycogeek Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:55 pm

ORUX
I was saying you have some sort of miracle device :-)
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ttffcomparisons.php
the fastest hot restart times back in the past were 6-10seconds (often found in MS windows type devices) , since then they have devices that can hot in a second, but only the good ones.
http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&biw=1457&bih=926&source=hp&q=GPS+cell+phone+crap&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22GPS+is+Crap%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d2da7bf6259b98f9&biw=1457&bih=926

and there is a lot of not so good ones in use :-)

Psycogeek

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Psycogeek wrote:ORUX
I was saying you have some sort of miracle device :-)
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ttffcomparisons.php
the fastest hot restart times back in the past were 6-10seconds (often found in MS windows type devices) , since then they have devices that can hot in a second, but only the good ones.
http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&biw=1457&bih=926&source=hp&q=GPS+cell+phone+crap&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22GPS+is+Crap%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=d2da7bf6259b98f9&biw=1457&bih=926

and there is a lot of not so good ones in use :-)

Hi, Psycogeek;

But they are two miracles, not one Smile

My two phones behave this way, both the htc dream and the nexus.

'Hot tests were performed when both Pocket PC and GPS receiver were powered off (if GPS receiver has a separate power source, the GPS receiver was unplugged) for a period of 15 minutes'[b]

1.-We talk about 4, 8, 30 seconds with the gps chip turned off, not 15 minutes. Normally I carry the gps settings in 'power save = 30 seconds delay' and I promise you it takes 2-4 seconds to acquire a new position when reactivated after the gps is turned off .

2.-There are no A-GPS devices in this list.

3.-'TTFF Comparisons: 04th May 2003'. At that time even did not exist the sirf III gps chip. We are talking about really old technology Smile

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycogeek Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:48 pm

2.-There are no A-GPS devices in this list.

yes , and there is no AGPS once you get outside of any possible web coverage areas either :-)
of the urban areas of the US there is very good coverage for cell, but if you analise the entire land mass, and then calculate the area that has web coverage, it is only something like 5% of the area.
so basically 95% of the US has no AGPS capability, but 99+% of that same area still has GPS.

When hiking out beyond any urban jungles , we have even had AGPS devices fail completly to be able to aquire any GPS lock, because they (stupidly) programmed some of them to Require the assist , so they worked for a while, then when the empheris data all ran out , it became a Brick, more useless than a kids compass. took about 3 days then nothing. that was how it worked in my Nokia phone, other android devices have tripped over this same type of thing, but most of them got fixes.

Psycogeek

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down