OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Several tracks lost, maybe due to power fail

4 posters

Go down

Several tracks lost, maybe due to power fail Empty Several tracks lost, maybe due to power fail

Post  dvo Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi,
with the current version 4.0.1, recording tracks every day for the last 7 days, two of my tracks were lost! For both of them, some time after I started recording, my HTC Desire ran out of battery. After changing the battery, I was able to continue recording the tracks, but today when I wanted to export all my recent track, I found those two tracks empty (0 time and 0 length) Crying or Very sad
When I had battery outages earlier, continuing the track with a fresh battery worked fine. BTW, would be nice if the track logging was resumed automatically after restarting the phone.
OruxMaps has been my favorite tracking app for long time. Yet if it has become unreliable, I feel forced to switch to something else... so I hope this issue will be found and resolved soon.
Thanks,
David

dvo

Cantidad de envíos : 8

Back to top Go down

Several tracks lost, maybe due to power fail Empty Re: Several tracks lost, maybe due to power fail

Post  pedja Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:00 pm

This happens to me too. Battery drained down, phone turned off, and OruxMaps messed recorded track. On several occasions.

pedja

Cantidad de envíos : 111

Back to top Go down

Several tracks lost, maybe due to power fail Empty Re: Several tracks lost, maybe due to power fail

Post  orux Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:41 pm

pedja wrote:This happens to me too. Battery drained down, phone turned off, and OruxMaps messed recorded track. On several occasions.

The track should be saved anyway; why you do not load it after, and continue the track with a new segment?

Do you have a sdcard with fat32 or ext4 file system?

There are a new beta, with some changes in the record engine; may be you can test. -->http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  dvo Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:56 am

pedja wrote:This happens to me too. Battery drained down, phone turned off, and OruxMaps messed recorded track. On several occasions.
Again, this is a very serious problem. As long as no specific solution is done and confirmed to work correctly, one can not use OruxMaps for any long-term (say, more than 8 hours) recording, because the risk of losing the data after a power failure is simply too high.

orux wrote:
The track should be saved anyway; why you do not load it after, and continue the track with a new segment?
For several occasions, as mentioned this did not work! The track was recorded, and also shown and continued after the powerfail, but still the track was lost later, after ending the recording, when I wanted to export it :-(
Again, this used to work earlier, so it looks like a recent regression.

As mentioned, would be good if logging was resumed automatically after reboot. OpenGPSTracker does this.

orux wrote:
Do you have a sdcard with fat32 or ext4 file system?
I use ext4, for many good reasons ;-)
The bug is independent of the file system, since I did not experience it earlier, using the same (ext4) file system.

orux wrote:
There are a new beta, with some changes in the record engine; may be you can test. -->http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs
Ok, I'm using this beta meanwhile, but for now I'm forced to using OpenGPSTracker as a backup.
"Some changes in the recording engine" is too vague as a potential solution for this nasty data loss problem.
Please, also test this issue yourself because it is very serious.

BTW, very nice that version 4.1.20 offers an alarm on lost signal!

dvo

Back to top Go down

Post  dvo Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 pm

I again lost some data :-(
This time, there was no power fail involved, but somehow my sdcard partition became read-only in between.

Luckily, I had saved (pressing the upper "REC" button) the current track manually several times (when starting a new segment) during the recording, such that only the last section was lost.

When I then tried to save or export the full track (which was still displayed fully), due to the partition being not writable, I got errors like
* Error while saving the track into the database
* Error while saving the Track into the file!
* Error when loading track
Would have been glad if even with a non-writable SD Card, an export (by email or uplaod to e.g. GPSies) was possible to save the data.

dvo

Back to top Go down

Post  BpACKer Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Orux, I have a question regarding this problem, and may provide a temporary solution. In the tracks and routes settings are options for auto-saving KML or GPX and track saving every xx minutes. If auto-saving a GPX is on, is that included in the auto-save of a track? Or is the GPX file creation only after tracking is done.
BpACKer
BpACKer

Cantidad de envíos : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  dvo Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi again Orux,

dvo wrote:I again lost some data :-(
This time, there was no power fail involved, but somehow my sdcard partition became read-only in between.
I had this problem several times again, also unrelated to running OruxMaps, and I meanwhile presume that my SD card has a hardware fault, which occasionally shows up, and the Android kernel reacts to this by putting the partition to read-only mode.

dvo wrote:Luckily, I had saved (pressing the upper "REC" button) the current track manually several times (when starting a new segment) during the recording, such that only the last section was lost.
When I had the read-only problem again during recording and had not saved the track manually in between, I was lucky that the track data was still held in memory by the running application, and I was able to save the track to the internal flash memory using the following trick. I connected to the phone via adb and issued (with root privileges) the following commands copying the OruxMaps internal track database to the internal flash memory and making OruxMaps believe that it still operates on the file on the sdcard:
mkdir /data/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/tracklogs
cp -a /sdcard/oruxmaps/tracklogs/oruxmapstracks.db /data/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/tracklogs
busybox mount -o bind /data/data/com.orux.oruxmaps/tracklogs /sdcard/oruxmaps/tracklogs
Then I was able to manually save the current track from OruxMaps and later, after re-booting the phone and in this way obtaining a writable sdcard again, to copy the internal database back to /sdcard/oruxmaps/tracklogs/oruxmapstracks.db :-)

dvo wrote:When I then tried to save or export the full track (which was still displayed fully), due to the partition being not writable, I got errors like
* Error while saving the track into the database
* Error while saving the Track into the file!
* Error when loading track
Would have been glad if even with a non-writable SD Card, an export (by email or upload to e.g. GPSies) was possible to save the data.
How about improving the implementation of the OruxMaps track export (e.g. to internal memory) and/or upload (to the network) in a way that they do not require a writable sdcard?

Apart from these problems, over the last three months I did not any more lose tracks due to bugs in the way OruxMaps records and saves tracks.
BTW, in mid-October I climbed a peak in your country: http://david.von-oheimb.de/gallery/Pyrenees/Perdido.html of course using OruxMaps for recording the track.

Best,
David

dvo

Back to top Go down

Post  pedja Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 am

I would suggest option to simply save current track. now we have to manually turn tracking off and on just to make sure track is saved.

pedja

Cantidad de envíos : 111

Back to top Go down

Post  dvo Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:26 pm

BUMP

dvo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down