OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US VFR / IFR Charts...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty US VFR / IFR Charts...

Post  mrglass2 Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:33 pm

As always - AWESOME application. I use this every day.

Unfortunately, the website has been taken down due to financial problems.

Is it possible to port the program over to similar sites:
1)www.skyvector.com
2)

Recent improvements in the program are just above and beyond what I was originally looking for. A+++++++

mrglass2

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty Re: US VFR / IFR Charts...

Post  orux Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:50 pm

mrglass2 wrote:As always - AWESOME application. I use this every day.

Unfortunately, the website has been taken down due to financial problems.

Is it possible to port the program over to similar sites:
1)www.skyvector.com
2)

Recent improvements in the program are just above and beyond what I was originally looking for. A+++++++

Thanks for your comments Smile

skyvector.com uses an strange codification system, not like goolge maps or similar. Another option?

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty ...

Post  mrglass2 Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:38 pm

I meant to put in:

2) (looks like VFR charts only)

...All other sources offline due to some stupid Patent lawsuit that has every pilot in the U.S royally pissed-off right now! Will let you know when it resolves and websites like runwayfinder.com are back on line.

Hopefully avcharts works though...

mrglass2

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty hmmm....

Post  mrglass2 Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:43 pm

w w w . a v c h a r t s . c o m

mrglass2

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:24 pm

mrglass2 wrote:w w w . a v c h a r t s . c o m

...working fine (VFR) in next version; a new beta in 2/3 days.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty VFR charts back on line yet?

Post  zn105 Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:58 am

VFR charts back on line yet?

zn105

Back to top Go down

Post  EMB 145 Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:10 am

I was also wondering if the VFR chart is availalble ?

EMB 145

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:36 pm

EMB 145 wrote:I was also wondering if the VFR chart is availalble ?

Hi;

please, test last beta -->

www.oruxmaps.com/cs

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  EMB 145 Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:02 pm

The beta works great. Thank you very muhc

I have 1 question. VFR charts are on a 6 month cycle. The charlotte sectional changed on January 14th, but the orux maps did not reflect the changes. They are still the old maps. Can you verify if the map service is updating their maps on the chart cycle?

EMB 145

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:40 pm

EMB 145 wrote:The beta works great. Thank you very muhc

I have 1 question. VFR charts are on a 6 month cycle. The charlotte sectional changed on January 14th, but the orux maps did not reflect the changes. They are still the old maps. Can you verify if the map service is updating their maps on the chart cycle?

Hi, EMB;

OruxMAps does not update automatically the maps cache. You can force a new load from the server, deleting this tiles:

main screen; menu--'remove from cache'

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  Zig Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Is there anyway to download the VFR online map to use it offline without having to use the desktop creator application and manually making a offline map?

Zig

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:09 pm

Zig wrote:Is there anyway to download the VFR online map to use it offline without having to use the desktop creator application and manually making a offline map?

Hi, Zig;

yes; using OruxMaps 'Map Creator' function.

see manual -->www.oruxmaps.com

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty vfr / ifr maps

Post  ChrisH Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm

Since runwayfinder is down, a new site vfrmap.com is up that provides ifr / vfr charts. Can you link to that in the next beta? I know you've gone avcharts.com but that's vfr only.

ChrisH

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:22 pm

ChrisH wrote:Since runwayfinder is down, a new site vfrmap.com is up that provides ifr / vfr charts. Can you link to that in the next beta? I know you've gone avcharts.com but that's vfr only.

done, beta 13.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty Help

Post  Zig Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:51 am

I am still having trouble creating a VFR offline map. If anyone has created one previously and wouldn't mind sharing it with me I'd really appreciate it!

Zig

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty Map sources

Post  JohnSBA Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:39 pm

I'd like to figure out how to get gMaps terrain and VFR charts working both online and cached (pre-"fly" a route at home so net connection isn't needed in flight). I've written a brief review on POA () of my OruxMaps impressions after an hour or two of experimenting. Is there an option to input a url like vfrcharts.com in OruxMaps? If anyone has seen or could help write simple directions, I'd like to post them on POA. Seems to me we'll all benefit from working together to help more people learn and use great apps like this.

JohnSBA

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty POA link

Post  JohnSBA Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:51 pm

Looks like the POA review article link I tried to post didn't show up. Try this:
pilotsofamerica dot com and then click Flight Following. The name of the thread is "Droid X free EFB, maps, wx - more Android apps?" and right now this topic is fairly active and has been showing up on the first screen of topics. You can probably also search for it.

JohnSBA

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:15 pm

JohnSBA wrote:Looks like the POA review article link I tried to post didn't show up. Try this:
pilotsofamerica dot com and then click Flight Following. The name of the thread is "Droid X free EFB, maps, wx - more Android apps?" and right now this topic is fairly active and has been showing up on the first screen of topics. You can probably also search for it.

Hi, JohnSBA;

vfr,ifr,... are working again in last beta, -->http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs

All what you browse at home, is cached for offline navigation. And you can create offline maps with 'Map creator' option in menu--more.

IMPORTANT: you have to clean caches (main screen--menu) periodically, because OruxMaps does not know when the online sources change the maps version.

And you can create routes with 'route creator'

orux

orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnSBA Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:56 pm

vfr,ifr,... are working again in last beta, -->

Wow, I'm impressed both by how quickly you responded and that you have them working in beta! Would you have a moment to let me know when you anticipate having a final release posted to the Market? I'd like to add that information to my mini review, and take another look at your excellent app when your next version is on the Market.

you have to clean caches...OruxMaps does not know when the online sources change

So once I started browsing gMaps it would only work with those maps until I clear cache? So to browse VFR charts I clear cache first, or is it somehow possible to have several layers so I can switch between gMaps for street names and terrain, and charts for aviation info?

As you can see I'm having some difficulty figuring out how the app works, and once I choose an app for flying with my Droid X my plan is to write up more detailed directions for myself and share them with other pilots on POA. You're of course welcome to use any of that writing you might find useful. Looks like by omitting the http prefix it may be possible to post a link that can be copied and pasted into a browser address box, so below is that address again for your convenience:
pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=689221#post689221

JohnSBA

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:16 pm

JohnSBA wrote:
vfr,ifr,... are working again in last beta, --&gt

Wow, I'm impressed both by how quickly you responded and that you have them working in beta! Would you have a moment to let me know when you anticipate having a final release posted to the Market? I'd like to add that information to my mini review, and take another look at your excellent app when your next version is on the Market.

you have to clean caches...OruxMaps does not know when the online sources change

So once I started browsing gMaps it would only work with those maps until I clear cache? So to browse VFR charts I clear cache first, or is it somehow possible to have several layers so I can switch between gMaps for street names and terrain, and charts for aviation info?

As you can see I'm having some difficulty figuring out how the app works, and once I choose an app for flying with my Droid X my plan is to write up more detailed directions for myself and share them with other pilots on POA. You're of course welcome to use any of that writing you might find useful. Looks like by omitting the http prefix it may be possible to post a link that can be copied and pasted into a browser address box, so below is that address again for your convenience:
pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=689221#post689221

Hi, JohnSBA;

May be this weekend, the new version will be released.

About OruxMaps cache:

No, no; You can use all your online maps without clear the cache.

When browsing online, the images are stored in an internal database. Each time you use a map, OruxMaps look first in this database, and if it finds the image, not the internet searches, the cache image will be displayed. This database can be reset for each source of maps, from the main screen OruxMaps (android menu).

VFR maps have a shelf life. If XX months after first time you browse an specific area, you do not delete the data from the cache, OruxMaps will always display the data in the cache and it is not going to look for new image tiles to the Internet. To force OruxMaps to search the internet the new maps, you must clean the VFR cache.

The cache is independent for each source online.

orux

orux
orux

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnSBA Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:19 pm

May be this weekend, the new version will be released
Congratulations! This is wonderful news. I notice that mine is currently 3.2.7 and there's a sticky post in your General forum about 3.2.6 being in the Market Oct 27, 2010. I wanted to mention this in case you'd like to change the Subject of your sticky post or replace it with a current one that outlines all the progress you've made in adding cool new features.

When browsing online, the images are stored in an internal database. Each time you use a map, OruxMaps look first in this database ... cache is independent for each source
That's helpful to know. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

VFR maps have a shelf life
Absolutely! As you probably know it would be helpful if you can find a way to let the user know what the date of a chart is, but I'm assuming that's impossible since you don't create the charts. Once the RunwayFinder guy gets the patent troll off his back and puts his excellent charts back online, maybe those will have expiry dates included somehow. The avcharts don't seem to include that info anywhere I can find it, and that portion of the original FAA charts has of course been cropped out. I assume this is all familiar to you and any pilot using free online charts, so apologies if it's already covered elsewhere here on your forum. Maybe there's already an option I haven't yet discovered, that will show the date a chart was last cached? As you say, it's simple enough to just clear the cache before each flight or at least check the FAA release dates and add a day or two for the charts to be updated online.

On a somewhat related topic, would it be easy for you to add a url input item to the map selection window? That way if an online source changes or a cool new one comes along, users won't have to wait for a new OruxMaps version. We could also then start a Topic here on your forum with links we discover and you could monitor to see if there are any you'd like to add to the menu.

JohnSBA

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty Xoom

Post  Zigmund Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Your app is awesome to bad the pilot maps have been such a pain recently. On the latest beta release I no longer have a menu on the Motorola Xoom pad. Used to be there in the previous beta release just not the latest one. This makes it impossible to switch between maps to test out the VFR online maps.

Zigmund

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Zigmund wrote:Your app is awesome to bad the pilot maps have been such a pain recently. On the latest beta release I no longer have a menu on the Motorola Xoom pad. Used to be there in the previous beta release just not the latest one. This makes it impossible to switch between maps to test out the VFR online maps.

Hi;

Unfortunately I have already uploaded version 3.4.0. to the market. But on the Web site there is a version 3.4 that should work fine with 3.0 android.

orux
orux
orux

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty Congratulations on 3.4!

Post  JohnSBA Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I was pleased to see the Market's upgrade notice today when I turned on 3G. Congratulations on your many cool new features, and thanks for all your hard work! I'm excited to try it out, especially in flight. Smile

JohnSBA

Back to top Go down

US VFR / IFR Charts... Empty US Aviation Maps blocked now?

Post  cotys Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:41 pm

On my tablet I get "Unauthorized Use: For Aviation Charts please visit I still have maps on my EVO, probably because they are cached. Is VFRMAP blocking Orux now? I cleared all my cache and sure enough, I get the warning above on all US Av charts.

Thx

cotys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next