OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Statistics errors expecially with "altitude"

3 posters

Go down

Statistics errors expecially with "altitude" Empty Statistics errors expecially with "altitude"

Post  pelleoss Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi Orux Team,
I noticed I often have errors in the statistics of the tracks, in particular with elevation gain/loss.

Oruxmaps says a value, while if I export the track as gpx file and I load it on others GPS viewer, I see different data.
I'm not talking about few meters... for example on the last track I created Oruxmaps says "elevation gain 1365m", while other gps viewer say ~ 1020m. Sometimes the error is much higher.
And Oruxmaps is the only one which reports such a different value, while all the others gps tools I tried report similar data.

This happens also with other statistical values, like average speed, but "altitude" is the worst.

Do I need to make some particular settings? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Claudio:)
pelleoss
pelleoss

Cantidad de envíos : 11

Back to top Go down

Statistics errors expecially with "altitude" Empty Re: Statistics errors expecially with "altitude"

Post  orux Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:32 pm

pelleoss wrote:Hi Orux Team,
I noticed I often have errors in the statistics of the tracks, in particular with elevation gain/loss.

Oruxmaps says a value, while if I export the track as gpx file and I load it on others GPS viewer, I see different data.
I'm not talking about few meters... for example on the last track I created Oruxmaps says "elevation gain 1365m", while other gps viewer say ~ 1020m. Sometimes the error is much higher.
And Oruxmaps is the only one which reports such a different value, while all the others gps tools I tried report similar data.

This happens also with other statistical values, like average speed, but "altitude" is the worst.

Do I need to make some particular settings? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Claudio:)

Hi, Claudio;

It is a problem with gps and altitude accuracy.

OruxMaps uses a formula to soften the error, but it is impossible to remove.

I will increase the filter used, to soften even more the value.

Note that some programs again filter the track, or even correct it, using a digital terrain model. So when reloading you see different values.

I have plans to add the option of correcting the height with an online digital terrain model, to avoid using the height given by the GPS.

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Statistics errors expecially with "altitude" Empty Re: Statistics errors expecially with "altitude"

Post  dvo Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:48 pm

I can confirm that there several errors in the statistics data given by OruxMaps in GPX exports.

• Start time given is about 6 minutes too early (very weird), while finish time is correct.
  • Moving time is too short (at least when walking slowly).
  • Max. Speed is 0.
  • Minimum and Maximum altitude are exchanged.
  • Rise speed, fall speed, Elevation gain and loss meanwhile look reasonable.

dvo

Cantidad de envíos : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  orux Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:37 pm

dvo wrote:I can confirm that there several errors in the statistics data given by OruxMaps in GPX exports.

• Start time given is about 6 minutes too early (very weird), while finish time is correct.
  • Moving time is too short (at least when walking slowly).
  • Max. Speed is 0.
  • Minimum and Maximum altitude are exchanged.
  • Rise speed, fall speed, Elevation gain and loss meanwhile look reasonable.

Hi;

Start time should be saved when you hit 'start logging' button. But if you have a device with a poor gps, it is possible that situation, because first gps position fix can be received xx minutes after.

OruxMaps sees no movement if the GPS indicates a speed below 0.25 m/s. The problem is that the gps (especially if they are of poor quality) may indicate higher speed even when you stand.

Max/Min altitude and max speed should be correct in next version.

here there is a beta-->http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs

orux
orux
orux

Cantidad de envíos : 3946

Back to top Go down

Post  dvo Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:21 am

Hi orux,

thank you for your quick and constructive reply!

Start time should be saved when you hit 'start logging' button. But if you have a device with a poor gps, it is possible that situation, because first gps position fix can be received xx minutes after.
Oops, good point, I checked this and indeed if the GPS sensor already has a fix the start time is the same as the time of the first trackpoint.

OruxMaps sees no movement if the GPS indicates a speed below 0.25 m/s. The problem is that the gps (especially if they are of poor quality) may indicate higher speed even when you stand.
I understand, thanks for the explanation.

Max/Min altitude and max speed should be correct in next version.

here there is a beta-->http://www.oruxmaps.com/cs
Yes, using the latest beta version 4.1.20, everything looks good, so I'd say this bug can be closed :-)

dvo

Cantidad de envíos : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down