OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

OruxMaps
Visit the new forum: <a href="http://www.oruxmaps.com/foro">OruxMaps</a>
OruxMaps
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully?

4 posters

Go down

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? Empty Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully?

Post  LeonardN Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Hello!
Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? I'm not talking about OSM maps in the garmin format (.img) but the original topographic maps by Garmin.
I've tried the free test versions by Garmin of the German topo map (Topo Deutschland v2, Topo Deutschland v3 and Topo Deutschland 2010) but had no success. The maps are displayed totally distorted.
Or is this feature not meant to be used with the original Garmin maps at all?

Thanks!

LeonardN

Cantidad de envíos : 1

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? Empty Re: Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully?

Post  jech Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:25 am

I have the same problem. I wanted to use original Garmin maps but they display completely broken. There's no need to use OSM maps in Garmin format, since we can use Vector OSM maps. But it would be very useful if we can display original Garmin maps, which are otherwise not available on Android.

Here are 2 screenshots of what I get when I try to use the maps.

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? Screenshot2012092608515

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? Screenshot2012092608522

jech

Cantidad de envíos : 4

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? Empty Re: Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully?

Post  skamoj Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:21 pm

I have the exact same problem ... Just a pink screen with some info.
Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? 2012-09-29%2016.24.57

skamoj

Cantidad de envíos : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  skamoj Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:24 pm

Did anyone come up with a solution yet? Quite disturbing to not be able to use the Garmin maps. Crying or Very sad

skamoj

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? Empty GMapTool Fixed my garmin topo map

Post  garrick.leonard Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:07 am

Hi
I read nz_aus_topo_v3 garmin map (gmapsupp.img from basecamp) into GMapTool and saved it as image file with a new name. The blank regions and random pink lines disappeared! FIXED

Some garmin topo maps made by others do not show this problem: gmaptool fixed my map (probably garmins fault)

cheers

garrick.leonard

Cantidad de envíos : 8

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? Empty GMapTool Fixed my garmin topo map

Post  garrick.leonard Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:09 am

Hi
I read nz_aus_topo_v3 garmin map (gmapsupp.img from basecamp) into GMapTool and saved it as image file with a new name. The blank regions and random pink lines disappeared! FIXED

Some garmin topo maps made by others do not show this problem: gmaptool fixed my map (probably garmins fault)

cheers

garrick.leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  skamoj Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:13 am

I'm quite new to this, how did you rename and save the IMG file in GMapTool?

skamoj

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? Empty Rename maps in GMapTool

Post  garrick.leonard Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:40 am

Hi shimoz
Open your garmin map (e.g. gmapsupp.img) using "Files" dialogue. Go to "Join" dialogue/tab choose output (this is where you rename file e.g garmintopo.img). You can give the mapset a new name (else it will just use a name from internal mapfiles-which will show up on garmin device) but it is not necessary. If you sent the output to a different folder then the same name can be used. Press "join selected" and in a few minutes your new image file will be created.

Also It can accept the installed basecamp map which is often broken into tiles and rejoin into one image. I does not care about other files in the folder: it will only process the *.img files.

goodluck

garrick.leonard

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used Garmin topographic maps successfully? Empty Rename maps in GMapTool

Post  garrick.leonard Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:40 am

Hi shimoz
Open your garmin map (e.g. gmapsupp.img) using "Files" dialogue. Go to "Join" dialogue/tab choose output (this is where you rename file e.g garmintopo.img). You can give the mapset a new name (else it will just use a name from internal mapfiles-which will show up on garmin device) but it is not necessary. If you sent the output to a different folder then the same name can be used. Press "join selected" and in a few minutes your new image file will be created.

Also It can accept the installed basecamp map which is often broken into tiles and rejoin into one image. I does not care about other files in the folder: it will only process the *.img files.

goodluck

garrick.leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down